Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

2012 Breakout Player of the Year?

My top 5 breakout candidates for 2012 are:

Marvin Austin
    Jerrel Jernigan
    David Wilson
    Prince Amukamara
    Rueben Randle

Who has the best chance to be this years Victor Cruz or JPP?

*I also made a poll with the same options but put an "other" option if you want to discuss someone else.
    Last edited by titwio; 07-28-2012 at 01:57 AM.

If we can get nice contributions from 3 out of your 5, we will be playing in the SB again

Veteran
    i think prince comes into his own this year, i remember sitting 7 seats from the field at giants stadium, sorry i mean metlife stadium. and watching him get down the field and track the ball getting in front of desean jackson and picking that ball off. omfg i was so psyched. i think he has 5-7 interceptions this year and a boatload of solo tackles.

Either Jernigan or Prince. JJ gets a bad rap, but he was also picked in the 2011 draft, which meant he got little camp time to learn the offense. Depending on which WR position Cruz plays, JJ could see a lot of snaps. The other one is, of course, Prince. He's stepping up to fill Aaron Ross's shoes now. T2 is going to be our nickel corner coming off those ACL's...

Other : Jayron Hosley

STRENGTHS: Hosley is an excellent zone corner who has a ton of range and play-making ability around the ball. He has good field awareness to sniff out receiver screens and is a quick reactor when the ball is thrown. He is consistently involved in the play and has good length to disengage receivers from the ball. Hosley is deceptive as a hitter and can deliver a serious blow for such a small frame. He has an impressive bubble and is a very bouncy athlete who can change directions on a dime. He is capable of smothering at the line using his hands and technique, and is good to stay in receivers' hip in-phase. He is a scrappy player who employs an unconventional shuffle step off the ball and technique in general, but he finds a way to make impact plays

( http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...ley?id=2533061 )

I think we know a little a little about Prince that we can get a sense that he'll have a pretty good year. Now with TT back in the roster, we have a pretty good solid team in the CB position.

So, being that, I'm going to go with Wilson.

I really don't know how we're going to do in the running game, but with Bradshaw and Ware/Brown as our only "known" runningbacks that can produce, it makes me a little worried going into the season.

So saying that, I think Wilson will have a breakout year showing us that he can be that #2 back for next season.
    OLD USERNAME : MIKEISAGIANT
    SINCE OCTOBER 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD21 View Post
    Other : Jayron Hosley

STRENGTHS: Hosley is an excellent zone corner who has a ton of range and play-making ability around the ball. He has good field awareness to sniff out receiver screens and is a quick reactor when the ball is thrown. He is consistently involved in the play and has good length to disengage receivers from the ball. Hosley is deceptive as a hitter and can deliver a serious blow for such a small frame. He has an impressive bubble and is a very bouncy athlete who can change directions on a dime. He is capable of smothering at the line using his hands and technique, and is good to stay in receivers' hip in-phase. He is a scrappy player who employs an unconventional shuffle step off the ball and technique in general, but he finds a way to make impact plays
    I didn't mention Hosley because he's stuck behind some key guys...Webster, Thomas, Prince, Johnson etc.. Chances of him breaking out in 2012 are not too likely. He's one of my favorite players from this years draft class too but...I'd say maybe 2013, 2014 are more realistic for him having a breakout season.

picked RR tho i hear crazy stuff from VT fans about wilson

That last guy I see on this list having a break out year is Jernigan, could be mistaken; however, he is my pick for surprise cut this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    That last guy I see on this list having a break out year is Jernigan, could be mistaken; however, he is my pick for surprise cut this season.
    I'd be beyond shocked if we cut last season's 3rd round pick this year.