+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bennett drops

Bennett drops

So M. Bennett's rep is that he drops balls. Do any of you has a link to a website that shows drops per pass attempts? I mean, the last year that Boss was here, I think he led the league in drops? I understand Bennett has had less attempts but I would like to know just how bad he has been. I would like to compare the two.

How about he just shut up already. If he turns into one "of those" then ..ARGGHH!

new team new qb new season anything can happpen

Quote Originally Posted by derekunion28 View Post
    new team new qb new season anything can happpen
    Now that's an attitude I can live with!

I never heard that rep. I did hear that he was considered lazy but his blocking was always above average and he wasn't a primary target with Witten and all the Dallas WR in there. Fresh start for him here. Let's see what he's got. Give him one of those t-shirts with the saying "talk is cheap, play the games." Go Blue!
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    I never heard that rep. I did hear that he was considered lazy but his blocking was always above average and he wasn't a primary target with Witten and all the Dallas WR in there. Fresh start for him here. Let's see what he's got. Give him one of those t-shirts with the saying "talk is cheap, play the games." Go Blue!
    The only thing i heard with him in terms of dropped passes was the fact that he was inconsistent and would make a catch and the next play drop an easy ball. Also, i think he had a few tips which resulted in interceptions. Nothing awful though, and practice should be able to fix it as well

Looking at his 65% catch rate. That is not too bad. I know everyone is shooting for 100% but that is impossible. Heck look at Calvin Johnson as a receiver...his catch rate is 61%. The thing is that Witten was the featured tight end at Dallas. This will be Bennett's time to shine and hopefully he makes the most of it. With a one year deal the Giants are giving him the opportunity without committing long term. It is a win-win for both parties.

I don't think he had all that many drops, but then again most of his passes were dump offs of 2 or 3 yards.

Someone recently pointed out with statistics that throwing to him wasn't all that risky as I previosuly thought. I think he had something like 20 targets and 2 interceptions when throwing his way? I'm not sure... Anyway, I would cringe every time the ball was thrown in his direction. Never had a sense of security with that guy and the risk never seemed like it was worth the reward.

The thought that Bennett was overshadowed by Witten is only half true. After T.O. was jettison from the team, Garrett designed his offense around Bennett and Witten (much like the Pats offense).

At that point, Bennett was very a very promising young athlete. He had 4 TD grabs in 2008 as a rookie and made a lot of nice plays. He was very important to what the Cowboys wanted to do and at one point we denied a trade with the Bengals for a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Bennett-- I'm not sure if it was ever clarified which one.

At any rate, the Cowboys struggled and Bennett never held up his end, nor returned to anything resembling his 2008 form. He has since seemingly got slower, clunkier, and even more immature somehow.

So yes, he was outshined by Witten (and even our third TE, John Phillips), but not because of lack of opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    The thing that is weird about him is that the lazy rap doesn't jive at all with the fact that he is a very good blocker . . . . . .