+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

News, notes, rumors, and gossip: Friday, July 27, 2012

HERE NOW THE NEWS

EXCERPTS FROM EXTERNAL NEWS ARTICLES REGARDING THE NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS ARE POSTED UNDER THEIR SOURCES. MISCELLANEOUS SPORTS ARTICLES ARE POSTED UNDER THE "MISCELLANEOUS" SECTION AT THE END OF THE THREAD. LINKS FOR ALL LISTED SOURCES ARE INCLUDED TO ALLOW MEMBERS TO INDEPENDENTLY BROWSE AT THEIR LEISURE.

NEWARK STAR LEDGER

GIANTS' TERRELL THOMAS LEAVES FIRST PRACTICE OF TRAINING CAMP WITH A STIFF BACK

Excerpt: "Only a few hours before the first practice of Giants training camp, Terrell Thomas was talking about how he has full confidence in his surgically repaired knee and how that confidence will grow with each successful practice.
    Well, that confidence was on hold today because the Giants’ starting cornerback left the first practice of training camp with stiffness in his back.

“Legs are fine,” coach Tom Coughlin said. “His back tightened up on him.” Read more...

GIANTS' ANTREL ROLLE: NEW HAIRCUT, SAME ROLE

Excerpt: "The left side of Antrel Rolle's head currently is a landscape of random neon green shapes. He has no clue know what the design is supposed to be. He just told his barber -- a close friend whom he trusts -- to design anything as long as it stood out. And glowed in the dark." Read more...

##

RECAPPING THE 2012 OFFSEASON TRANSACTIONS

Excerpt: "With the first practice of Giants training camp only a few hours away, I figured we’d give you folks a refresher on what this roster looks like in comparison to the one that defeated the Patriots in Super Bowl XLVI. The easy thing to do would’ve been to link back to this entry we’ve continually updated since the start of free agency, but for whatever reason, older entries aren’t coming up on mobile devices lately (not even when you click to read on the full site)." Read more...

TRAINING CAMP 2012: NO SN***Y SLOGAN FOR GIANTS THIS YEAR

Excerpt: "On the first day of training camp last year, Tom Coughlin immediately hit upon the message he relayed to his team, a mantra so simple yet so poignant it was encapsulated in one single, powerful word. Finish.

It ranked right up there with the “Talk is cheap, play the game” motto of the 2007 champs and was uttered all season long until Coughlin laughed at the podium after the Super Bowl and exclaimed, “This is the finish line for this year. Yes it is!” Read more...

GIANTS BEGIN TRAINING CAMP WITH FOUR PLAYERS ON PUP LIST

Excerpt: "Last year, training camp for the Giants culminated with a roster significantly depleted by injuries. This year, the team, as expected, will have a few players sidelined for the start of camp.
    Tom Coughlin confirmed that wide receiver Hakeem Nicks (foot), defensive tackle Chris Canty (knee), tight end Travis Beckum (knee), and Clint Sintim (knee) will all begin training camp on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list." Read more...

GIANTS' VICTOR CRUZ SAYS HIS CONTRACT ISN'T A BIG MOTIVATOR THIS SEASON

Excerpt: "Upon arriving at training camp today, Victor Cruz said he felt “nostalgic” about being back to the place where he first started to make an impression on the Giants’ coaching staff two years ago. Cruz is now in a much different place in his career – a franchise record-holder, a mega star and a player many defenses will try to shut down this upcoming season. He’s also one due a very big payday should he prove his breakout season wasn’t a fluke in any way." Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

BRADSHAW WANTS A DEVASTATING GROUND ATTACK

Excerpt: "Winning the Super Bowl was nice and so was scoring the title-winning touchdown, but the offseason wasn’t filled with all wonderful memories for Ahmad Bradshaw. He still had to live with being the feature back on what was the NFL’s worst rushing team.

And yes, the 26-year-old running back took that very, very personally.

“Oh definitely,” Bradshaw said. “Being 32nd, that’s devastating for us.” Read more...

IT'S NOT ENOUGH TO FINISH, GIANTS MUST "SUSTAIN"

Excerpt: "Back in 2007, as Tom Coughlin restored order to his chaotic locker room, he handed out T-shirts to his players with a simple slogan on the back. Then they rode their “Talk is cheap, play the game” mantra all the way to Super Bowl XLII.

Coughlin loves themes that can fit on a T-shirt. That’s why last year’s themes – “All In” and “Finish” were so perfect for him. And he’ll continue to use those this year, too. He’s just added a few more words.

“You don’t see any t-shirts, do you?” Coughlin said as he opened camp on Thursday. “The message is a little lengthy for that.”

It sure is." Read more...

##

REIGNING SUPER BOWL CHAMPION NY GIANTS ENTER TRAINING CAMP AS A CONFIDENT BUNCH

Excerpt: "The high-end luxury cars — a staple of the modern professional athlete — pulled into the parking spots in front of the small graduate student apartments on the campus of the University at Albany on Thursday morning.

A month from now those spots will be filled with lower-end cars driven by students on a budget that wouldn’t even suffice as good pocket change for the Giants players who will call this place home for the next couple of weeks during training camp. But on this day it was a buzz-filled location. “I feel like Kim Kardashian,” said new tight end Martellus Bennett as he exited his Bentley coupe with camera shutters clicking and TV cameras rolling as he unloaded his luggage." Read more...

NICKS, CANTY OPEN CAMP ON PUP

Excerpt: "Receiver Hakeem Nicks and defensive tackle Chris Canty are not ready for the start of Giants training camp and they will begin camp on the Physically Unable to Perform list.
    Nicks, who broke his foot during a spring practice, and Canty, who underwent offseason knee surgery, were two of four players the Giants placed on PUP as they opened camp on Thursday at the University at Albany. They were joined by tight end Travis Beckum and linebacker Clint Sintim, who are both still rehabbing their way back from a torn ACL." Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK POST

GIANTS BEGIN WORK OF DEFENDING SUPER BOWL TITLE

Excerpt: "No one can take away what the Giants accomplished last season, but that doesn’t mean anyone on the outside has to believe they can do it again.

Not that the Giants care much about anyone else’s doubts about them.

“Until you lose, you have to be called the best, right?’’ linebacker Mathias Kiwanuka said yesterday as the Super Bowl champion Giants reported to training camp at the University at Albany. “It’s a new year, it’s a new season, but we have the crown and that target on our back and we know it.’’ Read more...

COUGHLIN THE RIGHT MAN WITH THE RIGHT MESSAGE FOR THE GIANTS

Excerpt: "Tom Coughlin didn’t have to call around to various colleagues to ask how to prepare a team coming off a Super Bowl season. Been there, done that. And he did it quite well actually.

After upsetting the unbeaten Patriots in Super Bowl XLII, the Giants were one of the most dominant teams, if not the dominant team, in the NFL for most of 2008. At least, they were until Plaxico Burress decided to carry a gun into a nightclub and accidentally put a bullet in his leg.

After living through that experience, no one needs to tell Coughlin about what challenges and pitfalls might await the 2012 Giants as they prepare to defend the Lombardi Trophy they won by beating the Patriots again in Indianapolis." Read more...

##

SITE LINK

THE BERGEN RECORD

GIANTS' TRAINING CAMP INFORMATION

SITE LINK

NEW YORK TIMES

GIANTS, 2012 NFL SEASON PREVIEW

Excerpt: "
    What do we make of the New York Giants? They’ve won two Super Bowls in the last five years, yet in that span, they’ve posted win totals of 10, 12, 8, 10 and 9. They’ve illustrated how the competitive nature of today’s N.F.L. has created a system in which titles are won not by the best team but by the team that gets hot at the right time. Surprisingly, the fallout from this has not been a nationwide discussion about whether the N.F.L. model has become flawed. Instead, there’s been a rethinking of the defining characteristics of greatness. Hardly anyone claims that the Giants have gotten lucky or cut corners. Instead, we marvel at the way they blossom down the stretch." Read more...

WITH ONE EXCEPTION, A QUITE GIANTS START

Excerpt: "
    What passes for controversy with the Giants alighted from a Bentley on Thursday, wearing a soccer shirt and comparing himself first to Kim Kardashian and then to Gandhi as he announced his expletive-punctuated ill will toward the Dallas Cowboys." Read more...

SITE LINK

WALL STREET JOURNAL

SITE LINK

GIANTS 101

FOR NY GIANTS, SOLID FOUNDATION MAKES "DYNASTY" TALKS A POTENTIAL REALITY

Excerpt: "There’s more dialog of how “it’s so hard to repeat” as NFL World Champions than there is of why this type of talk isn’t delusional drivel. If one thinks about it, it’s hard for any team to win a Super Bowl. The odds just increase when the word “repeat” is added. The New York Giants know and believe that what has been built upon for the last several years is enough to back their confident statements." Read more...

TOM COUGHLIN HOPING MORE CONSISTENT NY GIANTS SYTART THE SEASON AND "FINISH" LIKE LAST YEAR

Excerpt: "As the New York Giants showed up to training camp last season, head coach Tom Coughlin had a simple message for the team: "Finish." After a disappointing 2010 campaign in which Big Blue squandered several opportunities to extend its season into the playoffs, the mantra "Finish" was certainly appropriate, and also effective."

##

GIANTS' TRAINING CAMP POSITIONAL BATTLES: STARTING CORNERBACK

Except: "The New York Giants have a number one cornerback in Corey Webster who, in terms of one on one man coverage skills, ranks among the top ten to twelve covermen in the league. Often on the other side last season was Aaron Ross, who stepped into the starting lineup after Terrell Thomas went down for the season with an ACL injury. Rookie first round pick Prince Amukamara suffered a fractured foot in August that cost him the first nine games of the season, but gained valuable experience in the Giants incredible stretch run to their Super Bowl victory." Read more...

CHRIS CANTY, HAKEEM NICKS AMONG FOUR WHO WILL START CAMP ON PUP FOR GIANTS

Excerpt: "Defensive tackle Chris Canty (knee), linebacker Clint Sintim (knee), tight end Travis Beckum (knee) and wide receiver Hakeem Nicks (foot) will all begin training camp on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list for the New York Giants. Additionally, offensive lineman Will Beatty (back) will be "limited" out of the gate." Read more...

SITE LINK

BIG BLUE VIEW

NY GIANTS' TRAINING CAMP DAY 1 PRACTICE REPORT

Excerpt: "The New York Giants first practice of 2012 training camp is in the books. More than anything head coach Tom Coughlin was just glad the team was able to get outdoors at UAlbany and get the practice in following a miserable\, rain-soaked morning.

"We got it in," said Coughlin.

Here are a few firsts from the first workout." Read more...

JUSTIN TUCK: "IT STARTS ALL OVER"

Excerpt: "As the defending Super Bowl champ New York Giants arrive at training camp and prepare for the 2012 season, the country will be curious as to how they will respond. Defensive end Justin Tuck is going into training camp with one mission: Refocusing

"It all starts over," said Tuck. "Last year is history. You learn from history and you learn how to get to the top of the mountain. I think we, along with the Patriots, are the team that has that experience from last year. Every team is starting 0-0, so we're all, just like a marathon, I hope we're the kings this year." Read more...

##

NY GIANTS NEWS AND NOTES: VICTOR CRUZ AND MORE

Excerpt: "The first practice of New York Giants training camp will be held Friday afternoon at UAlbany, and yours truly will be there. Here are a few notes to keep you occupied.
    Victor Cruz: The Chip Remains On Giants' Shoulder - SB Nation New York

Tom Coughlin's mantra last season was "Finish." This year it's "Sustain." And that applies to Victor Cruz and the rest of his Giants teammates.

Super Bowl run behind them, Giants face new challenges as camp opens

Somewhere between forgetting about their championship run of six months ago as ancient history and dwelling on it to the point of unrealistic audacity lies the fine line that the Giants will walk as they prepare for the 2012 campaign and a defense of their title. When it comes to the upcoming season, there is plenty to draw from but little to rely on from 2011's magical run." Read more...

GIANTS' COACH TOM COUGHLN WANTS MORE CONSISTENCY

Excerpt: "Here are a few of head coach Tom Coughlin's remarks as the New York Giants gathered in Albany for the first time this season on Thursday. [Full Transcript]." Read more...

SITE LINK

GMENHQ

SITE LINK

YARDBARKER.COM

GIANTS RUMBLINGS: KEITH RIVERS TO START?

Excerpt: "With the New York Giants starting camp in Albany today, one position to keep an eye on is Linebacker. Keith Rivers, former 1st round draft pick from the Cincinnati Bengals, was acquired back in April. Although he is listed on the depth chart behind Michael Boley, Chase Blackburn and Mathias Kiwanuka, the Giants expect him to challenge at least Blackburn for a starting spot. Kiwi may ultimately find himself playing a lot of Defensive End. The Giants LB corps has been a soft spot on the defense for more than two years now." Read more...

SITE LINK

INSIDE FOOTBALL

FOCUSED BENNETT HAS SOMETHING TO PROVE TO CRITICS

Excerpt: "Giants’ tight end Martellus Bennett wants everyone to know that he’s not a bust, his weight is where it should be, and he’s in such great shape that he’s ready to seize the opportunity before him with the Giants.
    “I’m excited about everything. I’m really excited to play, I feel like it’s my first time coming to camp,” he said as the players checked into their dorms. “So I’m super excited to play football. I couldn’t sleep last night, because I was so excited. I would have driven down here in the middle of the night, but the wife said I couldn’t.” Read more...

CANTY, NICKS, BECKUM, AND SINTIM CAMP ON PUP

Excerpt: "This past off-season, defensive tackle Chris Canty and receiver Hakeem Nicks often expressed confidence of being ready for the start of training camp despite their respective injuries. However, when the Giants officially launched their workouts at the University of Albany, Canty and Nicks, along with tight end Travis Beckum and linebacker Clint Sintim, were the four players placed on PUP." Read more...

SITE LINK

THE RED ZONE

CHIEFS SIGN TONY UGOH

SITE LINK

GIANTSFOOTBALLBLOG

SITE LINK

NFL.COM

SITE LINK

SI.COM

SITE LINK

ESPN

WILL BEATTY LOOKING FORWARD TO RETURNING TO LINEUP

Excerpt: "It’s been more than seven months since Giants left tackle Will Beatty played in a regular season game. Since that time, he’s successfully recovered from the detached retina that prematurely ended his season, but now hopes to make a full recovery from the back injury that he said happened as a result of him trying to do too much too soon this past spring after returning for the start of the off-season program.

“I feel good. My plan is just to do as much as I can do in camp,” he said. “All the little stuff I worked on during the offseason were a lot of mental reps, so I’m looking forward to getting back out there.” Read more...

##

WILL BEATTY FEELING BETTER, IS READY TO PRACTICE

Excerpt: " Will Beatty says his back is feeling good, but he is going to be cautious.

The starting left tackle will practice today after missing time in OTAs and minicamp with a back injury that affected a nerve in his right leg.

"I feel good, so they are going to take it slow and build me up into it," Beatty said. "The first few practices are only helmets, so that gives me good opportunity to practice and test the back out and see how it is feeling." Read more...

##

COUGHLIN'S NEW BUZZWORD: "SUSTAIN"

Excerpt: "Tom Coughlin's opening message to his team included some familiar mantras.

He wants his Giants team to keep its "all-in" and "finish" mentality. But he also added a new slogan: "sustain."

"We certainly want to continue with the 'all-in' and 'finish,'" Coughlin said. "But we also would like to come out of the starting gate and we would like to sustain and finish and establish some kind of consistency that we think we are capable of playing with." Read more...

SITE LINK

NBCSPORTS

SITE LINK

CBSSPORTS

SITE LINK

FOXSPORTS

SITE LINK

YAHOOSPORTS

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLWEEKLY

GIANTS RESTRUCTURE PRO-PERSONNEL DEPARTMENR

Excerpt: "The Giants announced Thursday that Ken Sternfeld is the team’s new director of pro personnel. Sternfeld spent the last 10 seasons as the assistant director." Read more...

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLFOCUS

SITE LINK

FOOTBALLOUTSIDERS

SITE LINK

MISCELLANEOUS

PEYTON'S FIRST DAY AT BRONCOS CAMP BRINGS EXCITEMENT, RECORD CROWDS

STORM WARNING AT JETS TRAINING CAMP

JETS HINT AT TWO SYSTEMS, SANCHEZ SAYS SPARANO WILL HAVE OFFENSE FOR TEBOWA DYNASTY IN PHIL;LY? IT'S OK TO DREAM
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 07-27-2012 at 08:28 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

You're up early or is that late....Thanks for the update!!!!!

I agree with Tom Coughlin wholeheartedly. Consistency for at the very least my peace of mind. I don't mind exciting games but I want the Giants to consistently beat the taste out of every team they play with video game type scores. Finish a team off early and keep on trucking without any Prevent Defenses. That is my hope and my dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    You're up early or is that late....Thanks for the update!!!!!
    Early, I walk 10 miles every morning and it's been so hot I wanted to get going before heat stroke set in lol
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by Rat_bastich View Post
    I agree with Tom Coughlin wholeheartedly. Consistency for at the very least my peace of mind. I don't mind exciting games but I want the Giants to consistently beat the taste out of every team they play with video game type scores. Finish a team off early and keep on trucking without any Prevent Defenses. That is my hope and my dream.
    If he can get them focused early, we should have a great season.

# 80

Starter
    Thanks RF!!
    Let the games begin.
    May the injury bug find somewhere else to go, we had our share.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Giant View Post
    Thanks RF!!
    Let the games begin.
    Dido on that...

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Early, I walk 10 miles every morning and it's been so hot I wanted to get going before heat stroke set in lol
    wholly crap!!! 10 miles!!! Wow.....thats great Ro. I am tired just thinking of that....lol

Thanks for the news too.....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by Old Giant View Post
    Thanks RF!!
    Let the games begin.
    Let the game begin and the wins mount up!

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    wholly crap!!! 10 miles!!! Wow.....thats great Ro. I am tired just thinking of that....lol

Thanks for the news too.....
    LOL Just got back, need to nap

# 80