+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NEWS, NOTES, RUMORS, AND GOSSIP: Saturday, July 28, 2012

HERE NOW THE NEWS

EXCERPTS FROM EXTERNAL NEWS ARTICLES REGARDING THE NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS ARE POSTED UNDER THEIR SOURCES. MISCELLANEOUS SPORTS ARTICLES ARE POSTED UNDER THE "MISCELLANEOUS" SECTION AT THE END OF THE THREAD. LINKS FOR ALL LISTED SOURCES ARE INCLUDED TO ALLOW MEMBERS TO INDEPENDENTLY BROWSE AT THEIR LEISURE.

NEWARK STAR LEDGER

VICTOR CRUZ PUTS ON A SHOW FOR THOSE ATTENDING TRAINING CAMP

Excerpt "Victor Cruz was flat-out being a showman today. During offensive "on air" drills, the Giants' wide receiver was making one-handed, twisting catches and downfield fingertip grabs that made drills with no defensive players as exciting as they could possibly be for the crowd on hand." Read more...

##

GIANTS' JERRY REESE SAYS HE EXPECTS PRINCE AMUKAMARA "TO PLAY LIKE A FIRST ROUND PICK"

Excerpt: "Jerry Reese's expectations for cornerback Prince Amukamara this upcoming season are simple. "I expect Prince to play like a first-round draft pick," Reese said today in a session with reporters. "That’s pretty cut and dry for me."

What does that mean, exactly?" Read more...

GIANTS' JERRY REESE SAYS A NEW CONTRACT FOR VICTOR CRUZ "COULD HAPPEN"

Excerpt: "On Thursday, Victor Cruz told reporters a new contract will certainly be welcomed, but it doesn't serve as his sole motivation. He has maintained that he will play out the final year of his rookie deal at $540,000 and take it from there.
    Today, Jerry Reese didn't deny the possibility that the team can work out a new contract with his star wide receiver before he becomes a restricted free agent after the season.: Read more...

##

GIANTS' WILL BEATTY SET TO PLAY AGAIN AFTER BEING RIDDLED BY INJURIES FOR PAST YEAR

Excerpt: "Will Beatty’s enthusiasm engulfed him. A freak eye injury abruptly ended his first season as an NFL starter after 10 games and he was anxious. He wanted to improve and come back stronger." Read more...

GIANTS COME IN TO TRAINING CAMP WITH COMMITMENT TO THE RUNNING GAME AND CONFIDENCE IT WILL REBOUND

Excerpt: "As the Giants try to psyche themselves into thinking they have a lot of work to do to improve upon a championship season, there’s one area in which there can be no debate: the running game. As in the last-ranked rushing attack in the NFL last season." Read more...

GIANTS' TERRELL THOMAS LEAVES FIRST PRACTICE OF TRAINING CAMP WITH A STIFF BACK

Excerpt: "Only a few hours before the first practice of Giants training camp, Terrell Thomas was talking about how he has full confidence in his surgically repaired knee and how that confidence will grow with each successful practice.
    Well, that confidence was on hold today because the Giants’ starting cornerback left the first practice of training camp with stiffness in his back.

“Legs are fine,” coach Tom Coughlin said. “His back tightened up on him.” Read more...

GIANTS' ANTREL ROLLE: NEW HAIRCUT, SAME ROLE

Excerpt: "The left side of Antrel Rolle's head currently is a landscape of random neon green shapes. He has no clue know what the design is supposed to be. He just told his barber -- a close friend whom he trusts -- to design anything as long as it stood out. And glowed in the dark." Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

THO0MAS IS "BACK" ON SIDELINES

Excerpt: "Terrell Thomas has worked hard to get ready for this season after missing all of 2011 with a torn ACL. And before camp began he said he was 100 percent ready and would be a full participant at practice.
    Then, on Day 1, he hobbled off the field.

The good news is that Thomas' surgically repaired knee wasn't the issue. Instead, according to Tom Coughlin, Thomas tweaked his back. That's probably not that unusual considering it's been nearly a year since Thomas was last on a football field doing anything but individual drills. But it's also not the way he hoped 2012 would start." Read more...

GIANTS' SAFETY ANTREL ROLLE ALREADY HAS HEAD IN GAME AS BIG BLUE SETS OUT TO REPEAT AS SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

Excerpt: "It is hard to miss Giants safety Antrel Rolle on the football field, especially if you see him from the left profile. He’s the player with the multicolored design shaved in the side of his head. Think Mike Tyson’s face tattoo in tie-dye colors.

And did we mention that his haircut is a Mohawk?" Read more...

BRADSHAW WANTS A DEVASTATING GROUND ATTACK

Excerpt: "Winning the Super Bowl was nice and so was scoring the title-winning touchdown, but the offseason wasn’t filled with all wonderful memories for Ahmad Bradshaw. He still had to live with being the feature back on what was the NFL’s worst rushing team.

And yes, the 26-year-old running back took that very, very personally.

“Oh definitely,” Bradshaw said. “Being 32nd, that’s devastating for us.” Read more...

IT'S NOT ENOUGH TO FINISH, GIANTS MUST "SUSTAIN"

Excerpt: "Back in 2007, as Tom Coughlin restored order to his chaotic locker room, he handed out T-shirts to his players with a simple slogan on the back. Then they rode their “Talk is cheap, play the game” mantra all the way to Super Bowl XLII.

Coughlin loves themes that can fit on a T-shirt. That’s why last year’s themes – “All In” and “Finish” were so perfect for him. And he’ll continue to use those this year, too. He’s just added a few more words.

“You don’t see any t-shirts, do you?” Coughlin said as he opened camp on Thursday. “The message is a little lengthy for that.”

It sure is." Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK POST

GIANTS BEGIN WORK OF DEFENDING SUPER BOWL TITLE

Excerpt: "No one can take away what the Giants accomplished last season, but that doesn’t mean anyone on the outside has to believe they can do it again.

Not that the Giants care much about anyone else’s doubts about them.

“Until you lose, you have to be called the best, right?’’ linebacker Mathias Kiwanuka said yesterday as the Super Bowl champion Giants reported to training camp at the University at Albany. “It’s a new year, it’s a new season, but we have the crown and that target on our back and we know it.’’ Read more...

COUGHLIN THE RIGHT MAN WITH THE RIGHT MESSAGE FOR THE GIANTS

Excerpt: "Tom Coughlin didn’t have to call around to various colleagues to ask how to prepare a team coming off a Super Bowl season. Been there, done that. And he did it quite well actually.

After upsetting the unbeaten Patriots in Super Bowl XLII, the Giants were one of the most dominant teams, if not the dominant team, in the NFL for most of 2008. At least, they were until Plaxico Burress decided to carry a gun into a nightclub and accidentally put a bullet in his leg.

After living through that experience, no one needs to tell Coughlin about what challenges and pitfalls might await the 2012 Giants as they prepare to defend the Lombardi Trophy they won by beating the Patriots again in Indianapolis." Read more...

SITE LINK

THE BERGEN RECORD

GIANTS' TRAINING CAMP INFORMATION

SITE LINK

NEW YORK TIMES

THE GIANTS SEE SOME DAYLIGHT FOR GROUND GAME

Excerpt: "
    The Giants spent the start of training camp last week recounting their faults. A 9-7 record is unacceptable. Their inconsistency has to stop. Coach Tom Coughlin’s message to the team was about sustaining. It seemed an odd, somewhat forced exercise, a championship team trying to convince itself that a Super Bowl title could be improved upon." Read more...

SITE LINK

WALL STREET JOURNAL

SITE LINK

GIANTS 101

Excerpt: "

JERRELL JERNIGAN STANDS OUT ON SECOND DAY OF TRAINING CAMP AND OTHER NOTES

Excerpt: "More than 5,000 die-hard football fans descended on the University at Albany on Saturday as the New York Giants held their second training camp practice in 2012. And despite massive thunder storms in the area, rain held off as Big Blue took the field and got to work in an effort to ready themselves for the upcoming season and their title defense." Read more...

##

GIANTS' TERRELL THOMAS IS "EXCITED TO PROVE A LOT OF PEOPLE WRONG" IN 2012

Excerpt: "Throughout the offseason, we have heard countless tales of Eli Manning's heroic play and his work ethic, we know about the New York Giants devastating pass rush, and the entire fan base is excited about the young receiving core General Manager Jerry Reese has assembled. However, what we haven't heard about is how the team's secondary and newfound depth at cornerback could potentially allow for the Giants to possess one of the league's top defensive backfields."

RAMSES BARDEN, DOMENIK HIXON STAND OUT ON DAY ONE OF GIANTS' TRAINING CAMP

Excerpt: "One day of training camp does not a season make, but for New York Giants wide receivers Ramses Barden and Domenik Hixon, they've gotten off on the right foot here in 2012. Both players stood out on Friday, whether it was in passing drills or the in the case of Hixon, returning punts and making blocks. A lot of doubt, some of it unwarranted, has surrounded Hixon as he attempts to return from his second consecutive ACL tear. He's been written off by many, but as we've said here at Giants 101, that's entirely too premature. He came back a season ago and made an immediate impact before re-injuring himself against the St. Louis Rams. Now, here in 2012, he's again come back, this time stronger than ever before, and immediately made his presence felt in practice." Read more...10

FOR NY GIANTS, SOLID FOUNDATION MAKES "DYNASTY" TALKS A POTENTIAL REALITY

Excerpt: "There’s more dialog of how “it’s so hard to repeat” as NFL World Champions than there is of why this type of talk isn’t delusional drivel. If one thinks about it, it’s hard for any team to win a Super Bowl. The odds just increase when the word “repeat” is added. The New York Giants know and believe that what has been built upon for the last several years is enough to back their confident statements." Read more...

TOM COUGHLIN HOPING MORE CONSISTENT NY GIANTS SYTART THE SEASON AND "FINISH" LIKE LAST YEAR

Excerpt: "As the New York Giants showed up to training camp last season, head coach Tom Coughlin had a simple message for the team: "Finish." After a disappointing 2010 campaign in which Big Blue squandered several opportunities to extend its season into the playoffs, the mantra "Finish" was certainly appropriate, and also effective."

SITE LINK

BIG BLUE VIEW

AUTOGRAPH DAY COULD BE IMPACTED BY WEATHER

Excerpt: "Today is Autograph Day at New York Giants training camp at UAlbany. Players are scheduled to sign autographs after the conclusion of practice from 3:30 until somewhere around 5 p.m.
    The problem is going to be the weather. There is a 95 percent chance of heavy downpours here in Albany today. That would both wreak havoc with the Giants ability to practice properly outdoors and to sign autographs." Read more...

GIANTS INTENT ON IMPROVING RUNNING GAME

Excerpt: "The New York Giants did 11-on-11 drills twice during Friday's first training camp practice at UAlbany. Each time, the first two offensive plays were runs. Maybe that was coincidence, maybe that was significant. What is certain, though, is that the Giants are determined to improve a running game that was last in the NFL during the 2011 regular season.
    Ahmad Bradshaw
    , the Giants' No. 1 running back, called being last in the league a season ago "devastating." Beset by foot injuries, Bradshaw gained only 659 yards (3.9 yards per carry) after rushing for a career-high 1,235 yards (4.5 per carry) in 2010.

"That's [being last] a tough thing as a running back," Bradshaw said. "We just have to look forward to this year. I'm doing a whole lot better. Upfront, you know, all together as an offense. I think it will come." Read more..

NY GIANTS' NEWS AND NOTES: ONE DOWN, 14 PRACTICES TO GO

Excerpt: "Here are a few stories from around the Inter-Google following the New York Giants first training camp practice on Friday." Read more...

NY GIANTS' TRAINING CAMP DAY 1 PRACTICE REPORT

Excerpt: "The New York Giants first practice of 2012 training camp is in the books. More than anything head coach Tom Coughlin was just glad the team was able to get outdoors at UAlbany and get the practice in following a miserable\, rain-soaked morning.

"We got it in," said Coughlin.

Here are a few firsts from the first workout." Read more...

JUSTIN TUCK: "IT STARTS ALL OVER"

Excerpt: "As the defending Super Bowl champ New York Giants arrive at training camp and prepare for the 2012 season, the country will be curious as to how they will respond. Defensive end Justin Tuck is going into training camp with one mission: Refocusing

"It all starts over," said Tuck. "Last year is history. You learn from history and you learn how to get to the top of the mountain. I think we, along with the Patriots, are the team that has that experience from last year. Every team is starting 0-0, so we're all, just like a marathon, I hope we're the kings this year." Read more...

SITE LINK

GMENHQ

SITE LINK

YARDBARKER.COM

AFTER A LONG OFFSEASON, GIANTS WRAP UP DAY 1 OF TRAINING CAMP

Excerpt: "And so it begins. After an offseason filled with arrests, mall controversies, ESPY awards, book deals, and Tiki Barber news, the defending Super Bowl XLVI champion New York Football Giants have finally made their way up to Albany for the start of training camp. Although the team has only had one day of actually playing football, there were several story lines that played out in practice that deserve significant attention.
    Without further adieu, here is everything you need to know from Day 1." Read more...

SITE LINK

INSIDE FOOTBALL

WEATHERFORD AIMS TO BECOME EVEN MORE SPECIAL

Excerpt: "Most people will probably agree that punter Steve Weatherford had a pretty good year last season, his first as a Giant." Read more...

THE DAY AT CAMP" FRIDAY, JULY 27, 2012

Excerprt: "I hadn’t really given this any thought, but after hearing Coach Coughlin today speak about how the new CBA and the restrictions that it’s placed on practices, he made a very good point in noting that the new structure really does limit what a team can do as far as doling out practice reps.
    Consider the following when asked about the running game and his comment about it taking time to come together." Read more...

SITE LINK

THE RED ZONE

CHIEFS SIGN TONY UGOH

SITE LINK

GIANTSFOOTBALLBLOG

SITE LINK

NFL.COM

SITE LINK

SI.COM

SITE LINK

ESPN

WILL BEATTY LOOKING FORWARD TO RETURNING TO LINEUP

Excerpt: "It’s been more than seven months since Giants left tackle Will Beatty played in a regular season game. Since that time, he’s successfully recovered from the detached retina that prematurely ended his season, but now hopes to make a full recovery from the back injury that he said happened as a result of him trying to do too much too soon this past spring after returning for the start of the off-season program.

“I feel good. My plan is just to do as much as I can do in camp,” he said. “All the little stuff I worked on during the offseason were a lot of mental reps, so I’m looking forward to getting back out there.” Read more...

WILL BEATTY FEELING BETTER, IS READY TO PRACTICE

Excerpt: " Will Beatty says his back is feeling good, but he is going to be cautious.

The starting left tackle will practice today after missing time in OTAs and minicamp with a back injury that affected a nerve in his right leg.

"I feel good, so they are going to take it slow and build me up into it," Beatty said. "The first few practices are only helmets, so that gives me good opportunity to practice and test the back out and see how it is feeling." Read more...

SITE LINK

NBCSPORTS

SITE LINK

CBSSPORTS

SITE LINK

FOXSPORTS

SITE LINK

YAHOOSPORTS

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLWEEKLY

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLFOCUS

SITE LINK

FOOTBALLOUTSIDERS

SITE LINK

MISCELLANEOUS

RES RYAN BELIEVES HE'S "THE BEST DEFENSICVVE COACH IN FOOTBALL"

Last edited by RoanokeFan; 07-28-2012 at 08:15 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Thanks Roanoke

Quote Originally Posted by 4th&goal View Post
    Thanks Roanoke
    Welcome back!
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

thanks Roanoke!

Go Giants!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue1971 View Post
    thanks Roanoke!

Go Giants!
    Amen to that!

Starter
    Thanks RF! The road to another Lombardi trophy begins here at training camp!!

*PS- there's a typo in your sig buddy
    Last edited by GiantVibes; 07-28-2012 at 12:43 PM.

ALL-IN!

Quote Originally Posted by GiantVibes View Post
    Thanks RF! The road to another Lombardi trophy begins here at training camp!!

*PS- there's a typo in your sig buddy
    So there is, just call me TYPO KING!

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    So there is, just call me TYPO KING!
    I will if you really want me to, otherwise I think I'll stick with RF

ALL-IN!

Quote Originally Posted by GiantVibes View Post
    I will if you really want me to, otherwise I think I'll stick with RF
    That works for me lol

Starter
    Thank you Sir!