+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone else stoked about Herz-cules in the middle

I know they really haven't had any contact yet but his ability to cover the TE's from the MLB spot could be Huge! If he can work well to stop the run he could be what the Giants have been missing in the middle. I'm looking forward to his progression!

An excerpt from Garafollo:

"More solid coverage by LB Mark Herzlich again today plus a ridiculous interception (I believe) late in the session. Herzlich was covering rookie TE Adrien Robinson running an intermediate out route and leaped to get his hands on the ball from QB David Carr. Just knocking it away would’ve been impressive, but Herzlich hung on for the juggling catch and (again, I believe) got his feet down in bounds. I’ll have to ask him on Sunday if he indeed made the play. Earlier, Herzlich was in perfect position to force Carr to try throwing behind TE Christian Hopkins. It didn't work. Incomplete."

Competition at every position makes us a better team. If Herz wins the battle, that means we are better and deeper. The competition has only just begun. Go Blue!
    No one remembers who came in second.

I think when all is said and done Herz will be our starting MLB for years to come.

I certainly am encouraged be Mike G's consistent reports that he looks way better in coverage. Camp is young though.

I'm definitely rooting for him.

He has to stay healthy to be productive. So far, we've all seen his potential based on how he was at BC prior to his illness. He was regaining strength last season, but then was injured.

Until further notice, Blackburn is our MLB....and he's earned the right to be #1 based on how he helped to turned around the Giants defense in the 2nd half of the season.

If Herzlich can beat him out for the spot, and can stay healthy, that would be great. But, I'm not counting on it.

I'm really rooting for Herz. What a story, and he never gives up.

Veteran
    Pat Traina had the same observations:

* Linebacker Mark Herzlich turned in another fine day in terms of pass coverage. He’s currently working with the two’s and he looked like a savvy old pro in breaking up a pass over the middle to tight end Christian Hopkins and then another pass to rookie Adrien Robinson which I believe was an interception. Whereas last year I had some questions about his speed, Herzlich looks like he’s playing more quickly. That’s no doubt due to having had a chance to fully grasp the playbook as well as his off-season workout in which a very lean and muscular looking Herzlich looks hungrier than last year, as he has his sight set on winning that starting middle linebacker job.

If he can stay healthy, I think he can be good.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueReign View Post
    I'm really rooting for Herz. What a story, and he never gives up.
    I'm pulling for him too...hope he wins the job