+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

News, notes, rumors, and gossip: Monday, July 30, 2012

HERE NOW THE NEWS

EXCERPTS FROM EXTERNAL NEWS ARTICLES REGARDING THE NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS ARE POSTED UNDER THEIR SOURCES. MISCELLANEOUS SPORTS ARTICLES ARE POSTED UNDER THE "MISCELLANEOUS" SECTION AT THE END OF THE THREAD. LINKS FOR ALL LISTED SOURCES ARE INCLUDED TO ALLOW MEMBERS TO INDEPENDENTLY BROWSE AT THEIR LEISURE.

NEWARK STAR LEDGER

GIANTS' WILL HILL IMPRESSES AT PRACTICE

Excerpt: "I had a person ask me on Twitter how I distinguish a good play from a bad play in these Giants practice reports. In other words, if it's a good play for the defense, doesn't that mean it's a bad play for the offense.
    As I tried to explain in 140 characters, I realized it might be better to flesh out the answer here. So here goes.

If we're talking about a drop or a blown coverage, that's easy. That's a bad play. But if we're talking about a guy out-jumping another player, that's a good play." Read more...

JAYRON HOSLEY LEAVES PRACTICE WITH INJURY

Excerpt: "Rookie cornerback Jayron Hosley was injured early in practice today and was taken to the locker room on a cart with an apparent knee injury.
    Hosley, the team's third-round pick in April, slipped while covering wide receiver Isaiah Stanback on a comeback route only a few minutes into this afternoon's session. Hosley was one of a handful of players who slipped on the apparently slick grass during the drill." Read more...

##

GIANTS' COMPETITION AT LINEBACKER FRIENDLY, BUT STIFF

Excerpt: "Those who think it takes too long for an NFL referee to review a play should know it took nearly 24 hours to get a ruling on Mark Herzlich’s interception from Saturday’s training-camp practice.
    The Giants’ second-year linebacker, along with cornerback Justin Tryon, tracked tight end Adrien Robinson to the sideline, deflected the ball off his chest, juggled it, caught it, got his right foot down and then dragged his left toe." Read more...

INTERCEPTION BY GIANTS' COREY WEBSTER HIGHLIGHT OF TODAY'S PRACTICE

Excerpt: "I'm starting to learn what truly motivates the Giants' defensive players in training camp this year. Stopping Victor Cruz and, more importantly, the "Cruuuuuuz" chants.

You can tell it's the daily challenge that gets them going. More on that below in today's practice report." Read more...

GIANTS' HAKEEM NICKS BELIEVES HE'S ON TRACK FOR MID-AUGUST RETURN

Excerpt: "I wrote on Saturday Hakeem Nicks looked "bored out of his skull" watching Giants practice. "I wouldn't say I am bored," Nicks said today.

All right, how about frustrated? Antsy?

"You could say antsy," he said. "I'm ready to get back at it. I feel like I need to be out there with the guys but following the instructions of the team doctors and the team trainers right now." Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

PHILLIPS CAMPAIGNS FOR MORE AGGRESSIVE ROLE

Excerpt: "He made 86 tackles, picked off four passes, and helped knock away that oh-so-critical Hail Mary game-ending Hail Mary pass to Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski in Super Bowl XLVI.
    But fifth-year safety Kenny Phillips thinks he can do even better this season, if only the Giants would let him finally play a more aggressive role.

“I had four interceptions last year,” Phillips said Monday. “I feel like this year, if I’m more involved in the defense, that number can go up. That’s really my goal." Read more...

GIANTS' JUSTIN TUCK WELCOMES NEW SEASON AFTER PERSONAL LOSS, INJURIES PLAGUED HIM DURING SUPER BOWL SEASON

Excerpt: "Though it ended with the Giants winning a Super Bowl, last season was one of the most painful in Justin Tuck’s illustrious eight-year pro football career. Not since his sophomore season - when a foot injury limited him to six games and he failed to register a sack - has Tuck had a more difficult year.

Hours after his 84-year-old grandfather, Leroy, was buried, Tuck injured his neck in a preseason game against the Jets after colliding with a Jets lineman last August." Read more...

GIANTS' HAKEEM NICKS REPORTS NO PIN IN FOOT
    Excerpt: "He has watched Victor Cruz get serenaded to “Cruuuuz!” chants, seen Jerrel Jernigan start to blossom and watched Domenik Hixon make a comeback.

This is all Hakeem Nicks has been able to do throughout the first few days of Giants training camp, and the wide reciever admits that it’s made him a bit “antsy.” But in just a few weeks, that’s all going to change." Read more...

GIANTS' MARTELLUS BENNETT MUSCLES IN AS NEW TIGHT END ON BLOCK

Excerpt: "
    By the end of Sunday’s practice, Martellus Bennett, the Giants’ newest tight end, had finally made a play.

After two quiet days, Bennett ended practice by catching a TD, getting good position on Kenny Phillips and outleaping the safety to snare Eli Manning’s 20-yard pass. The Giants expect to see more from Bennett on Monday when they hold their first full-contact practice of the year.

“He made a couple of plays today,” Tom Coughlin said of Bennett. “Just to see him out there healthy and running (was good).” Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK POST

HERZLICH SET TO IMPRESS GIANTS ON THE FIELD

Excerpt: "This is better.

Different, but better.

This is the way Mark Herzlich prefers his life with the Giants to be, competing for the starting middle linebacker job as an up-and-coming second-year player. That’s in contrast to the unique role he filled a year ago as an undrafted rookie known for his courageous and successful battle to stave off the ravages of cancer.

“Everybody just wanted to see if I could survive in the league last year,’’ Herzlich told The Post yesterday before practice at the University at Albany. “Now it’s whether I can flourish and make plays for the Giants. I think that’s a better place to be and I guess more pressure football-wise. But I’d rather have more pressure on the football side than just a feel-good story right now.’’ Read more...

MEET THE NEW CRUZ

Excerpt: "As it stands now, Julian Talley is a long shot to make the Giants’ 2012 roster. His reps during team drills have been limited and he’s buried amid a cluster of wide receivers trying to impress the coaching staff while Hakeem Nicks is sidelined with a foot injury.

But Talley isn’t about to get frustrated. Not when he has a living example of how long odds can be overcome. A native of Sicklerville, N.J., Talley is an undrafted free agent from UMass. Sound familiar?

“That’s big brother right there,” Talley said of Victor Cruz, another wide receiver from UMass who faced long odds before having a breakout season last year. “Throughout my whole career in college he’s been a great mentor, like a brother for me. Him being here is definitely encouraging.” Read more...

HAKEEM NICKS EYES RETURN IN TWO WEEKS

Excerpt: "
    On the sidelines for a spell during Giants practice yesterday, Hakeem Nicks pretended to drop back as if he were a quarterback.

Nicks is not the Giants’ quarterback, but since the injured wideout can’t practice right now, that’s at least a peek into how he spends his down time while his teammates are on the field. Nicks, recovering from his broken right foot, is part of the inaction during training camp, his jersey on but his helmet off, forced to watch practice.

Nicks, though, delivered promising news yesterday on the injury front, saying it’s reasonable to expect him back in mid-August. So with there being only two days remaining in July, figure Nicks — injured during organized team activities in May — to be out maybe two more weeks or so." Read more...

GIANTS' DB'S DISH OUT SOME SALSA

Excerpt: "Don’t dance on me. That’s the mindset of the Giants defensive backs when it comes to dealing with salsa-king Victor Cruz.

A sequence involving Cruz and three players in the Giants secondary highlighted yesterday’s practice at the University at Albany, a session coach Tom Coughlin stamped with his approval as his team finally was able to stretch out on the multiple grass fields with the weather cooperating and the sun finally shining." Read more...

SITE LINK

THE BERGEN RECORD

FRANKLIN LAKES NATIVE JUSTIN TRATTOU INJURES ANKLE AT GIANTS' CAMP

Excerpt: "Franklin Lakes native Justin Trattou injured his ankle late in Saturday’s practice and hobbled off the field, putting an unfortunate halt to what had been a tremendous start to Giants’ training camp for the former Don Bosco standout." Read more...

JERRY REESE LOIKES GIANTS' CHANCES

Excerpt: "The letters, phone calls and emails extremely critical of Jerry Reese have not completely stopped coming.

But when you have a major hand in building a Super Bowl champion, the second-guessing and Monday morning quarterbacking dies down, at least a little bit.

"I still get a few," Reese said with a chuckle while speaking with the media for the first time in training camp for nearly 20 minutes Saturday." Read more...

GIANTS' TRAINING CAMP INFORMATION

SITE LINK

NEW YORK TIMES

SITE LINK

WALL STREET JOURNAL

SITE LINK

GIANTS 101

GIANTS' TERRELL THOMAS SENT TO HOSPITAL FOR SPECIAL SURGERY FOR TESTS ON KNEE

Excerpt: "Only a few days after handing out nearly 2,400 T2 t-shirts to his fans thanking them for their support, New York Giants cornerback Terrell Thomas is back at the Hospital for Special Surgery having tests on his surgically repaired knee after it swelled up on Monday morning. And head coach Tom Coughlin sounded quite concerned about it." Read more...
    ##

GIANTS' MICHAEL BOLEY AND KEITH RIVERS TO MISS TIME WITH MINOR INJURIES

Excerpt: "Although the New York Giants have gotten through the first few practices of training camp without any major injuries to key players, the team has still suffered a few minor bumps and bruises that will cause a few people to miss some time. Yesterday, head coach Tom Coughlin stated that weak-side linebackers Michael Boley and Keith Rivers will miss a few days because of hamstring injuries. For Boley, this is the same injury that caused him to miss two games last season." Read more...

FIVE NY GIANTS WHO COULD MAKE AN UNEXPECTED SPLASH IN 2012

Excerpt: "In the NFL, the start of training camp signifies a new beginning. It's when every coach, player, and even fan must place last years's successes and failures on the back burner, and begin to focus on how they can improve themselves for the upcoming season. For many younger players, it may be their only chance to prove themselves worthy of suiting up on Sunday. For veterans, they must once again show they still have the physical skills to play with the younger players that constantly pour into the league each offseason." Read more...

NY GIANTS' NEWS AND NOTES: TRAINING CAMP UPDATES AND MORE

Excerpt: "Good morning, New York Giants fans! Let's start your Monday with your Giants-related news and notes." Read more...

NY GIANTS' TRAINING CAMP: DAY THREE PRACTICE REPORT

Excerpt: "On the third day of New York Giants training camp, the sun finally shone. After a dreary, drizzly morning the skies cleared and the Giants were able to work on the UAlbany grass fields for the first time since camp began on Friday.
    "It's real grass. It smells like grass, I did see something that looked like blue," said Giants coach Tom Coughlin after practice. "It's nice to be outside. We got a little something done."

Here is a look at Sunday's practice." Read more...

GIANTS' JUSTIN TRATTOU IN WALKING BOOT; MRI SCHEDULED

Excerpt: "Somewhat lost in the panic following Jason Pierre-Paul hitting the deck on Saturday was an ankle injury sustained by defensive end Justin Trattou. As the rain began to come down and the New York Giants transitioned into end zone drills, Trattou was visibility hurting as he was carted off the field." Read more...

GIANTS' ELI MANNING ON WR JERRELL JERNIGAN: "IM SEEING SOME FLASHES OF BRILLIANCE"

Excerpt: "Following two consecutive practices in which he stole the show, second-year wide receiver Jerrel Jernigan is slowly becoming a person of interest for fans and media alike. But it's not just onlookers who have noticed Jernigan's improvement; his teammates have as well. And prior to Sunday's practice, New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning offered some incredible praise for the youngster." Read more...

SITE LINK

BIG BLUE VIEW

GIANTS' ROOKIE DAVID WILSON EXPECTS A LOT FROM HIMSELF

Excerpt: "When rookies approach training camp they want nothing more than to make an early impression and earn some playing time. New York Giants' first-round draft pick David Wilson is certainly no different.
    There was an early rave this past spring over Wilson for his speed and athleticism, but whatever pressures he faces comes from within him and not from others.

"It’s not even like people or outsiders’ expectations of me; it’s my expectation of myself," said Wilson. "I put a lot of pressure on myself and am very competitive. So I would like to have a successful rookie season and career. That’s where it starts. Learn this playbook and adjust to the speed of the NFL." Read more...

GIANTS' TRAINING CAMP DAY # 3 PRACTICE REPORT

Excerpt: "On the third day of New York Giants training camp, the sun finally shone. After a dreary, drizzly morning the skies cleared and the Giants were able to work on the UAlbany grass fields for the first time since camp began on Friday.
    "It's real grass. It smells like grass, I did see something that looked like blue," said Giants coach Tom Coughlin after practice. "It's nice to be outside. We got a little something done."

Here is a look at Sunday's practice:" Readmore...

SITE LINK

GMENHQ

SITE LINK

YARDBARKER.COM

SITE LINK

INSIDE FOOTBALL

SITE LINK

THE RED ZONE

CHIEFS SIGN TONY UGOH

SITE LINK

GIANTSFOOTBALLBLOG

SITE LINK

NFL.COM

JERRY JONES LOOKS FORWARD TO BEATING THE GIANTS

Excerpt: "The Cowboys are the only team we know that holds an opening ceremony with training camp. Jones, knowing the gaffe that came before him, then decided to try to steal the headlines from Holden." Read more...

##

SITE LINK

SI.COM

SITE LINK

ESPN

POTENTIAL FALLOUT FROM TERRLL THOMAS' INJURY

Excerpt: "The news out of New York Giants training camp in Albany on Monday was not good. The team announced that cornerback Terrell Thomas, who is attempting to come back from a second tear of the ACL in his right knee, has suffered another injury to that ligament. They have not announced that it is torn again -- only that he'll have arthroscopic surgery to determine the extent of the injury. But should they go in there with the scope and find that it's torn again, Thomas will have to miss the 2012 season and possibly worry about the remainder of his career." Read more...

##

OSI: I'M HAPPY TO BE HERE

Excerpt: " Osi Umenyiora held court and was surrounded by reporters and cameras.

It’s a scene that has been all too common at the previous couple of Giants' camps. But the difference this time is that the defensive end says he is content with his contract.

In the past two training camps, Umenyiora’s contract situation hovered over the Giants like an ominous cloud. This year, Umenyiora enters camp after restructuring the final year of his deal." Read more...

GIANTS' WIDE RECEIVERS MAKE ELI MANNING FEEL "FORTUNATE"

Excerpt: "Giants quarterback Eli Manning is keenly aware of the fact that he has two star wide receivers who do not carry themselves in any way that resembles the stereotype of the star wide receiver. Hakeem Nicks, who has been on the sideline for training camp practices so far as he recovers from his spring foot injury, and Victor Cruz, who is working on an encore to his brilliant 2011 breakout season, are as humble as they come." Read more...

NICKS: TOE NO OBSTACLE TO RETURN

Excerpt: "New York Giants receiver Hakeem Nicks says he remains on schedule to return to practice sometime in mid-August and has suffered no setbacks with his surgically repaired right toe. Nicks was placed on the physically unable to perform list at the start of camp and is eligible to come off the list whenever he is cleared to practice in camp. " Read more...

SITE LINK

NBCSPORTS

SITE LINK

CBSSPORTS

SITE LINK

FOXSPORTS

SITE LINK

YAHOOSPORTS

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLWEEKLY

GIANTS MIGHT HAVE SLEEPER IN DE TRACY

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLFOCUS

SITE LINK

FOOTBALLOUTSIDERS

SITE LINK

MISCELLANEOUS

JETS' MARK SANCHEZ PREACHES PATIENCE, CITES SIMILARITIES WITH ELI MANNING
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 07-31-2012 at 11:12 AM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Thanks Roanoke, can't wait to read the camp reports today after a practice with full pads!

Thank you Sir....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    Thanks Roanoke, can't wait to read the camp reports today after a practice with full pads!
    It's great to actually have a pre-season lol
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    Thank you Sir....
    Sir, my ***

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Sir, my ***
    trying to be respectful of my Elders....
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

trying to be respectful of my Elders....
    Have you seen my walker?

Have you seen my walker?
    if ur doing 10 miles it must be the one with the wheels on it....

if ur doing 10 miles it must be the one with the wheels on it....
    Comes equipped with high speed mud flaps!

Comes equipped with high speed mud flaps!
    and a basket to hold the "Depends Undergarments" in....
    ( low blow....lol)