+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

News, notes, rumors, and gossip: Tuesday, July 31, 2012

HERE NOW THE NEWS

EXCERPTS FROM EXTERNAL NEWS ARTICLES REGARDING THE NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS ARE POSTED UNDER THEIR SOURCES. MISCELLANEOUS SPORTS ARTICLES ARE POSTED UNDER THE "MISCELLANEOUS" SECTION AT THE END OF THE THREAD. LINKS FOR ALL LISTED SOURCES ARE INCLUDED TO ALLOW MEMBERS TO INDEPENDENTLY BROWSE AT THEIR LEISURE.

NEWARK STAR LEDGER

FORMER GIANTS' SAFETY DEON GRANT TELLS TERRELL THOMAS TO TAKE IT SLOW

Excerpt: "When Deon Grant would speak to Terrell Thomas these past few months, he’d rely upon his years of battling serious injuries to give Thomas this biggest piece of advice: Take it slow.
    There’s no way to know for sure if Thomas’ partially tearing his anterior cruciate ligament on Sunday had anything to do with the speed at which he came back from last year’s tear. And at this point, as Thomas searches for hope he’s not lost for the season, the Giants can only look forward." Read more...

GIANTS' WILL HILL IMPRESSES AT PRACTICE

Excerpt: "I had a person ask me on Twitter how I distinguish a good play from a bad play in these Giants practice reports. In other words, if it's a good play for the defense, doesn't that mean it's a bad play for the offense.
    As I tried to explain in 140 characters, I realized it might be better to flesh out the answer here. So here goes.

If we're talking about a drop or a blown coverage, that's easy. That's a bad play. But if we're talking about a guy out-jumping another player, that's a good play." Read more...

JAYRON HOSLEY LEAVES PRACTICE WITH INJURY

Excerpt: "Rookie cornerback Jayron Hosley was injured early in practice today and was taken to the locker room on a cart with an apparent knee injury.
    Hosley, the team's third-round pick in April, slipped while covering wide receiver Isaiah Stanback on a comeback route only a few minutes into this afternoon's session. Hosley was one of a handful of players who slipped on the apparently slick grass during the drill." Read more...

WITH TERRELL THOMAS OUT, GIANTS LOOK FOR MATURITY OUT OF PRINCE AMUKAMARA

Excerpt: "On Saturday, Giants general manager Jerry Reese said the team needs Prince Amukamara “to play like a first-round pick.” And that was before Terrell Thomas re-injured his ACL.

With Thomas possibly out for the season as he waits for a full diagnosis, the team will now lean heavily on Amukamara to continue his progression after a rookie year in which he missed half of the season with a broken foot suffered in training camp." Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

VACCHIANO: GIANTS' OSI UMENYIORA CAN'T BE DEFENSIVE ABOUT WANTING TO CASH IN

Excerpt: "Terrell Thomas once seemed to almost have it all. He was on his way to being a Pro Bowl player. He was getting ready to open talks on a lucrative new contract. He was on a team that a few months later would win him a Super Bowl ring.

So on Monday afternoon, when the latest devastating news was revealed – that he had once again injured his right ACL – it was hard to believe a full year hadn’t even gone by. It was last Aug. 22 when he was in on a meaningless play late in the first half of a meaningless preseason game and everything about his life and career suddenly changed." Read more...
    SITE LINK
    NEW YORK POST

TERRELL-IBLE

Excerpt: "Incredibly, for the second consecutive summer, the Giants lost the services of the player they’ve viewed as a rising star.

Cornerback Terrell Thomas is damaged, again. For the second time in 11 months, he suffered an injury to the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee and is in danger of missing yet another season.

This cruel blow for Thomas and huge blow for the Giants snuck up on them. Thomas, who believed he was fully healed and primed for a resounding comeback, slipped while covering Domenik Hixon in a one-on-one drill during Sunday’s practice. He iced his knee on the side and no one thought it was a big deal. When the knee swelled overnight, the caution flares were lit." Read more...

FEWELLED UP GIANTS' DEFENSE HAS COACH EXCITED

Excerpt: "
    Perry Fewell was racing down the sideline, running stride for stride with defensive back Dante Hughes, who had just intercepted an Eli Manning pass intended for Victor Cruz.

No one from the offense was chasing them, but that didn’t alter Fewell’s excitement over the theft and the chance to run it back for an imaginary touchdown.

“We’re going! We’re going!” Fewell shouted at Hughes, a fifth-year player signed as a free agent during the offseason.

Fewell was a vocal presence during yesterday’s practice at SUNY-Albany, the first in shoulder pads. When he’s vocal, it’s usually a good thing." Read more...

SITE LINK

THE BERGEN RECORD

GIANTS' CAMP INSIDER: JUSTIN TRATTOU UPDATE

Excerpt: "Good news for Trattou
    There must be some relief for Franklin Lakes native Justin Trattou, who escaped a more serious injury after twisting his ankle in practice Saturday.

The second-year defensive end has been in a walking boot since and Tom Coughlin said an MRI on his left foot revealed only a lateral sprain.

"He feels better today. I don’t know what that means, but he feels better," Coughlin said. "I think we’ll get him back." Read more...

GIANTS' TRAINING CAMP INFORMATION

SITE LINK

NEW YORK TIMES

SITE LINK

WALL STREET JOURNAL

SITE LINK

GIANTS 101

TYLER SASH SUSPENDED 4 GAMES FOR VIOLATING PED POLICY

Excerpt: "The NFL announced today that New York Giants safety Tyler Sash has been suspended four games without pay for violating the league's performance-enhancing drugs policy. The second-year safety will be eligible to continue practicing with the team until the regular season gets underway, and then will be able to return on Monday, October 1st following the team’s September 30th game against the Philadelphia Eagles." Read more...

MRI SHOWS NO SIGNIFICANT TO MICHEAL BOLEY'S HAMSTRING

Excerpt: "Lost in the coverage of the Terrell Thomas ACL injury was the hamstring injury sustained by New York Giants linebacker Michael Boley. Also sent to the Hospital of Special Surgery for an MRI, Boley came away with much better news than his teammate T2. Results were negative and the MRI showed "no significant injury." Read more...

##

DALLAS COWBOYS' OWNER JERRY JONES SAYS HE LOOKS FORWARD TO "BEATING THE GIANTS' ***"

Excerpt: "While returning to Oxnard, California for their first full-team training camp practice of 2012 on Monday, Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was in a talkative mood. As he usually does, he was spouting off at the mouth and proceeded to tell a large crowd of fans in attendance that one of the things he looks forward to in 2012 is beating the New York Giants' ***." Read more...

GIANTS' TERRELL THOMAS SENT TO HOSPITAL FOR SPECIAL SURGERY FOR TESTS ON KNEE

Excerpt: "Only a few days after handing out nearly 2,400 T2 t-shirts to his fans thanking them for their support, New York Giants cornerback Terrell Thomas is back at the Hospital for Special Surgery having tests on his surgically repaired knee after it swelled up on Monday morning. And head coach Tom Coughlin sounded quite concerned about it." Read more...

SITE LINK

BIG BLUE VIEW

MARK HERZLICH: "I'M ABLE TO PLAY AT THIS LEVEL"

Excerpt: "In early July, Giants.com reported New York Giants middle linebacker Mark Herzlich was at the Timex Performance Center four days a week to keep up his training. Herzlich had one mission on his mind: winning the starting role.
    “I definitely think I can – that’s my goal,” Herzlich said. “That’s why I’m here every day working, to try to get that job. It’s all a competition. I think the good thing about the Giants is they want to win and I think whoever gives them the opportunity to win will be able to start at that position. For me right now, it is just learning the plays and knowing them, as well as I can so that way I can go in and let my play speak for itself.” Read more...

##

NY GIANTS' NEWS AND NOTES: TUESDAY OFF EDITION

Excerpt: "Good morning, New York Giants fans! The Giants' players are off today, a CBA-mandated day without practice. We are never off here at Big Blue View, however, so here is today's notebook. The Day at Camp: July 30, 2012 | Inside Football

MUSINGS: Everyone is obviously hoping for the best with Terrell Thomas’s knee, but if the unthinkable should happen, it’s going to have significant repercussions in the defensive secondary. Prince Amukamara, will have to slide into Thomas’s starting spot — Thomas, remember, has traditionally played against the slot receiver in the nickel.

Meanwhile Antrel Rolle, who finally was able to shed the nickel back job this year, would likely go back there at least until third-round pick Jayron Hosley was ready for that duty. And if Rolle does go to the nickel, that likely means Tyler Sash gets the nod as the safety alongside of Kenny Phillips." Read more...

TERRELL THOMAS' INJURY: NEWS NO ONE WANTED TO HEAR

Excerpt: "Terrell Thomas seemed headed for stardom when the 2011 season began. He was coming off a season in which he had accomplished the amazing feat of leading the New York Giants in both interceptions (five) and tackles (101).
    There were many who, at that time, thought Thomas was the Giants' best cornerback. It also seemed like Thomas was on the verge of becoming a Pro Bowl player.

Only Thomas' right knee refused to cooperate." Read more...

GIANTS' PRINCE AMUKAMARA: HIS TIME HAS COME

Excerpt: "New York Giants general manager Jerry Reese said recently that his 2012 expectations for Prince Amukamara were that he would "play like a first-round draft pick."

With the awful news about Terrell Thomas' knee hanging over the Giants right now, the Giants no longer have the luxury of waiting for Amukamara, their 2011 first-round pick, to get comfortable. They need him now.
    Fortunately for the Giants, after a rookie season that was for all intents and purposes ruined by a broken foot suffered in training camp Amukamara has been showing flashes in training camp that he could be ready." Read more...

SITE LINK

GMENHQ

SITE LINK

YARDBARKER.COM

SITE LINK

INSIDE FOOTBALL

THE DAY AT CAMP: JULY 30, 2012

Excerpt: "The one goal every NFL team hopes to accomplish in training camp is to get out with as few injuries as possible.
    Unfortunately for the Giants, cornerback Terrell Thomas, who is trying to come back from a torn ACL suffered last August, was nowhere to be seen and was later revealed by head coach tom Coughlin to be in Manhattan at the Hospital for Special Surgery undergoing tests on his surgically repaired knee, which he appeared to tweak during yesterday’s practice while covering Domenik Hixon." Read more...

SITE LINK

THE RED ZONE

CHIEFS SIGN TONY UGOH

SITE LINK

GIANTSFOOTBALLBLOG

SITE LINK

NFL.COM

JERRY JONES LOOKS FORWARD TO BEATING THE GIANTS

Excerpt: "The Cowboys are the only team we know that holds an opening ceremony with training camp. Jones, knowing the gaffe that came before him, then decided to try to steal the headlines from Holden." Read more...

SITE LINK

SI.COM

SITE LINK

ESPN

GIANTS HOPE THEIR PRINCE IS READY

Excerpt: "Last season, Prince Amukamara would run into general manager Jerry Reese sometimes before games.
    And Reese would tell the rookie to go out and play like a first-round pick.

This season, though, the Giants truly hope Amukamara starts to show his first-round pedigree. The secondary can use a boost from Amukamara after taking two hits in consecutive days with Terrell Thomas' knee injury and Tyler Sash's four-game suspension." Read more...

PLAN B: Thomas contingency options

Excerpt: " Terrell Thomas is heading west to consult with Dr. Arthur Ting on his injured right ACL.

Ting performed an allograft reconstruction of the ACL last September and Thomas likely will undergo an arthroscopic procedure to determine the full damage to his knee.

A source said Monday that Thomas' knee has at least a partial tear. Considering this is the third time he has injured his right ACL since 2005, Thomas could miss significant time, if not the entire season. We'll still have to wait for final word.

While we wait, let's take a look at what the Giants might do if Thomas is out indefinitely or for the season. " Read more...

##

POTENTIAL FALLOUT FROM TERRLL THOMAS' INJURY

Excerpt: "The news out of New York Giants training camp in Albany on Monday was not good. The team announced that cornerback Terrell Thomas, who is attempting to come back from a second tear of the ACL in his right knee, has suffered another injury to that ligament. They have not announced that it is torn again -- only that he'll have arthroscopic surgery to determine the extent of the injury. But should they go in there with the scope and find that it's torn again, Thomas will have to miss the 2012 season and possibly worry about the remainder of his career." Read more...

SITE LINK

NBCSPORTS

SITE LINK

CBSSPORTS

SITE LINK

FOXSPORTS

SITE LINK

YAHOOSPORTS

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLWEEKLY

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLFOCUS

SITE LINK

FOOTBALLOUTSIDERS

SITE LINK

MISCELLANEOUS

REPORT: EAGLES' JASON BABIN OUT 2-3 WEEKS WITH 2ND DEGREE CALF SPRAIN

JETS' MARK SANCHEZ PREACHES PATIENCE, CITES SIMILARITIES WITH ELI MANNING
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 07-31-2012 at 07:22 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

thanks Roanoke!

sucks about T2 and Hosley!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue1971 View Post
    thanks Roanoke!

sucks about T2 and Hosley!
    I hope Hosley's injury is not as threatening as TTs. I'm afraid TT's career may be over. It's been reported that none has ever played after three torn ACLs
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I hope Hosley's injury is not as threatening as TTs. I'm afraid TT's career may be over. It's been reported that none has ever played after three torn ACLs
    yea i just read that Hosleys is a laceration to the knee. thats good news.

TT i wanted to see in the secondary. a real shock to fans! just think how he must feel!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue1971 View Post
    yea i just read that Hosleys is a laceration to the knee. thats good news.

TT i wanted to see in the secondary. a real shock to fans! just think how he must feel!
    Amukamara has got to step up and soon.

Thanks RF !

Quote Originally Posted by G-Men Surg. View Post
    Thanks RF !
    You are very welcome, my friend

Starter
    Thanks RF!!
    Watching all this from a distance, these injuries are knotting me up.
    "Next man up" is getting too trite for my tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Giant View Post
    Thanks RF!!
    Watching all this from a distance, these injuries are knotting me up.
    "Next man up" is getting too trite for my tastes.
    But next man up is all we have. Every team experiences there pre-season injuries.

Honestly, some injuries now are actually good.

We can see what how depth is and that gives them more opportunity to shine.

And it's better not than September 5th(correct date I hope)?
    OLD USERNAME : MIKEISAGIANT
    SINCE OCTOBER 2010.