+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

News, notes, rumors, and gossip: Wednesday, August 1, 2012

HERE NOW THE NEWS

EXCERPTS FROM EXTERNAL NEWS ARTICLES REGARDING THE NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS ARE POSTED UNDER THEIR SOURCES. MISCELLANEOUS SPORTS ARTICLES ARE POSTED UNDER THE "MISCELLANEOUS" SECTION AT THE END OF THE THREAD. LINKS FOR ALL LISTED SOURCES ARE INCLUDED TO ALLOW MEMBERS TO INDEPENDENTLY BROWSE AT THEIR LEISURE.

NEWARK STAR LEDGER

GIANTS' COACH TOM COUGHLIN DEFENDS SUSPENDED TYLER SASH AGAINST NFL "WATCHDOG"

Excerpt: "When word broke on Tuesday Tyler Sash had been suspended for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy, the Giants’ safety said his “intentions were pure.”
    Today, Tom Coughlin defended Sash.

“There’s no issue with this young man. He doesn’t need any watchdog over him,” the Giants’ coach said after a rain-shortened practice. “Ignorance is no excuse for the law, I understand, but if he knows what’s expected he does it.” Read more...

##

GIANTS' ANTREL ROLLE READY TO SERVE AS NICKLE CORNER THIS TIME, IF NEEDED

Excerpt: "Last year, when the Giants’ defensive coaches needed to replace Terrell Thomas, they had Antrel Rolle playing down low instead of at a natural safety spot. Rolle found it difficult to accept and at one point even talked about wanting out of the organization.
    Eventually, Rolle came to accept and embrace his job as a nickel cornerback. The rest is Super Bowl history.

Well, the Giants and Rolle are right back in the same spot now that Thomas, whom secondary coach Peter Giunta said was ticketed to play the nickel corner spot, is likely lost for the season again. Rolle is the easiest, quickest solution to the problem right now." Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

COUGHLIN: NFL FRUG POLICY NEEDS "COMMON SENSE"

Excerpt: "Tom Coughlin said he felt “very badly” for Tyler Sash when the safety was suspended four games for violating the NFL’s policy against performance enhancing drugs. He also said he wished the NFL’s drug policy included a little more “common sense.” Read more...

MARA TWEAKS JERRY AS CHAMPS STAY QUIET

Excerpt: "John Mara walked into the Giants’ team dining hall on Wednesday afternoon with a bandage on his forehead. He pointed to it when he saw a couple of reporters and said “You should see what Jerry Jones looks like.”

That one-liner was the only line any of the Giants offered in response to Jerry Jones’ vow to “beat the New York Giants’ ***.” Beyond that, the Giants’ co-owner had no real comment about his Cowboys counterpart." Read more...

##

GIANTS' PRINCE AMUKAMARA MAKING UP FOR FORGETTABLE LAST SEASON WITH CHANCE TO TAKE STARTING JOB

Excerpt: "He wanted a starting job. He just didn’t expect it to happen this way.

When Prince Amukamara arrived in Giants training camp at the University at Albany, he knew that much. He knew he’d disappointed team brass during his injury-plagued 2011 rookie season, and he desperately wanted to atone.

So when Amukamara heard GM Jerry Reese rip into him over the weekend and say he had to play “like a first-round pick,” the 23-year-old cornerback didn’t argue. In fact, he agreed. “I do have a lot of expectations for myself,” Amukamara said, “and I know the organization has a lot of expectations for me. . . . It’s time for me to fulfill my (expectations) and their’s, too.” Read more...

JONES' BIG MOUTH WILL WAKE SLEEPING GIANTS

Excerpt: "Jerry Jones opened his Texas-sized big mouth again, and the Cowboys will be the ones paying for it.

Jones, the Cowboys owner, and the rest of the NFL never learn: The Giants become a great team only when they feel disrespected and dumped on. Rex Ryan fired them up for last year’s Christmas Eve showdown with all the big brother/better team talk. Tom Brady ticked off the Giants before each of his Super Bowl losses to Big Blue, and Jones distributed two tickets to each of his players for the NFC title game before playing the Giants in the divisional round.

Oops. Giants 21, Cowboys 17." Read more...

SASH'S AGENT BLASTS NFL APPEAL PROCESS

Excerpt: "Tyler Sash has already claimed that his violation of the NFL’s Performance Enhancing Drug policy was an innocent mistake, that he took a prescription drug that he didn’t know was illegal in the league. Sash’s agent, Jack Bechta, backed that explanation and blasted the NFL’s rigid drug policy rules, too.

“I am extremely disappointed with the league's ruling pertaining to Tyler Sash's suspension for testing positive for Adderall,” Bechta said in a statement. “As the policy stands right now there is little or no latitude for the league to interpret special circumstances as there was in this case and apply common sense for the obvious pure intentions of Tyler's need for medical care." Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK POST

ELI: GIANTS HAVEN'T DONE ENOUGH TO BE CALLED A DYNASTY

Excerpt: "Don’t use the ‘D’ word in front of Eli Manning.

The Giants quarterback was direct in saying that his team is not a dynasty in an interview on NFL AM despite them winning two of the past five Super Bowls.

“No, no, we’re not,” Manning said on the NFL Network show. “We had a little break — the two years prior to last year we didn’t make the playoffs. We’ve got work to do. We have good players on this team, we have the potential to be a playoff team and to make a run once we get into the playoffs.” Read more...

##

PRINCE MUST TAKE THRONE

Excerpt: "It is three weeks away from an unfortunate one-year anniversary that defensive coordinator Perry Fewell recalls “kind of threw everything into a tizzy for a while.’’

The tizzy erupted when Terrell Thomas went down last summer with a torn knee ligament. The immediate reaction was not panic, because only the loss of a franchise quarterback sends such shock waves reverberating through an organization. But Thomas was considered such a vital force and irreplaceable component within the Giants’ defense, there was every reason to believe the secondary would be permanently scarred." Read more...

SITE LINK

THE BERGEN RECORD

GIANTS' TRAINING CAMP INFORMATION

SITE LINK

NEW YORK TIMES

SITE LINK

WALL STREET JOURNAL

SITE LINK

GIANTS 101

GIANTS' CHRIS CANTY UNSURE HE'LL BE READY BY WEEK 1

Excerpt: "New York Giants defensive end Chris Canty expected to be ready for training camp following an offseason knee injury, but upon reporting to Albany, the veteran was placed on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list. Now, with opening night against the Dallas Cowboys exactly five weeks away, Canty isn't even sure if he'll be ready to suit up for that game." Read more...

TYLER SASH SUSPENDED 4 GAMES FOR VIOLATING PED POLICY

Excerpt: "The NFL announced today that New York Giants safety Tyler Sash has been suspended four games without pay for violating the league's performance-enhancing drugs policy. The second-year safety will be eligible to continue practicing with the team until the regular season gets underway, and then will be able to return on Monday, October 1st following the team’s September 30th game against the Philadelphia Eagles." Read more...

MRI SHOWS NO SIGNIFICANT TO MICHEAL BOLEY'S HAMSTRING

Excerpt: "Lost in the coverage of the Terrell Thomas ACL injury was the hamstring injury sustained by New York Giants linebacker Michael Boley. Also sent to the Hospital of Special Surgery for an MRI, Boley came away with much better news than his teammate T2. Results were negative and the MRI showed "no significant injury." Read more...

SITE LINK

BIG BLUE VIEW

NY GIANTS' TRAINING CAMP: ON DAY 5, TOM COUGHLIN WAS NOT HAPPY

Excerpt: "It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin was not a happy camper when he spoke to reports following Wednesday's abbreviated practice at UAlbany.
    The weather, the suspension of Tyler Sash, and the continued worry about the health and well-being of injured cornerback Terrell Thomas were all quite obviously weighing on the coach when he spoke to reporters." Read more...

##

NY GIANTS' NEWS AND NOTES: CHRIS SNEE, DEON GRANT, AND MORE

Excerpt: "Good morning, New York Giants fans! After a day off the Giants return to the practice field at UAlbany today for their fifth of 15 training camp practices. Yours truly won't be in attendance today, but Big Blue View will still have plenty of stories for you to read. Here is today's notebook." Read more...

MARK HERZLICH: "I'M ABLE TO PLAY AT THIS LEVEL"

Excerpt: "In early July, Giants.com reported New York Giants middle linebacker Mark Herzlich was at the Timex Performance Center four days a week to keep up his training. Herzlich had one mission on his mind: winning the starting role.
    “I definitely think I can – that’s my goal,” Herzlich said. “That’s why I’m here every day working, to try to get that job. It’s all a competition. I think the good thing about the Giants is they want to win and I think whoever gives them the opportunity to win will be able to start at that position. For me right now, it is just learning the plays and knowing them, as well as I can so that way I can go in and let my play speak for itself.” Read more...

SITE LINK

GMENHQ

SITE LINK

YARDBARKER.COM

SITE LINK

INSIDE FOOTBALL

CHRIS SNEE LOOKING TO REBOUND FROM "OFF" YEAR

Excerpt: "Even when he’s not at his absolute best, Giant’s right guard Chris Snee is still as good as, or better, than a number of players at his position around the NFL.
    But don’t tell that to Snee, who’s a self-proclaimed perfectionist who wants to win every battle and who wants his teammates to never have to worry about what they are going to get from him." Read more...

SITE LINK

THE RED ZONE

CHIEFS SIGN TONY UGOH

SITE LINK

GIANTSFOOTBALLBLOG

SITE LINK

NFL.COM

SITE LINK

SI.COM

SITE LINK

ESPN

DOCTORS OPTIMISTIC GIANTS' TERRELL THOMAS WILL PLAY AGAIN THIS SEASON

Excerpt: "New York Giants cornerback Terrell Thomas is scheduled to meet Tuesday in Pensacola, Fla., with Dr. James Andrews to determine the extent of the damage done to his surgically repaired right knee.
    But doctors who have examined Thomas so far do not believe he has a torn ACL and are optimistic he will play again this season, a source familiar with the situation told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter." Read more...

##

GIANTS QUIET AFTER JONES' JAB

Excerpt: "The New York Giants heard what Jerry Jones said to fans the other day about kicking the Giants' rear ends.

But they barely wasted their breath talking about it Wednesday. As if they all got the same memo, the team's players refused to engage in a war of words with the Cowboys' owner.

"Because talk is cheap," defensive end Justin Tuck said. "Play the game." Read more...

BENNETT: "I'M KIND OF LIKE A BLACK UNICORN"

Excerpt: " Tight end Martellus Bennett may not have responded to Jerry Jones' boast, but he still delivered some gems.

Bennett has quickly become the most entertaining quote on the Giants, and here's a sample of why from Wednesday: " Read more...

##

GIANTS HOPE THEIR PRINCE IS READY

Excerpt: "Last season, Prince Amukamara would run into general manager Jerry Reese sometimes before games.
    And Reese would tell the rookie to go out and play like a first-round pick.

This season, though, the Giants truly hope Amukamara starts to show his first-round pedigree. The secondary can use a boost from Amukamara after taking two hits in consecutive days with Terrell Thomas' knee injury and Tyler Sash's four-game suspension." Read more...

PLAN B: Thomas contingency options

Excerpt: " Terrell Thomas is heading west to consult with Dr. Arthur Ting on his injured right ACL.

Ting performed an allograft reconstruction of the ACL last September and Thomas likely will undergo an arthroscopic procedure to determine the full damage to his knee.

A source said Monday that Thomas' knee has at least a partial tear. Considering this is the third time he has injured his right ACL since 2005, Thomas could miss significant time, if not the entire season. We'll still have to wait for final word.

While we wait, let's take a look at what the Giants might do if Thomas is out indefinitely or for the season. " Read more...

SITE LINK

NBCSPORTS

SITE LINK

CBSSPORTS

SITE LINK

FOXSPORTS

SITE LINK

YAHOOSPORTS

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLWEEKLY

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLFOCUS

SITE LINK

FOOTBALLOUTSIDERS

SITE LINK

MISCELLANEOUS

Last edited by RoanokeFan; 08-01-2012 at 08:56 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

thanks Ro....

appreciate it.....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    thanks Ro....

appreciate it.....
    Slow news day with the team off yesterday
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Thanks RF, excellent work !

Starter
    Thank you RF!!

Starter
    Thanks for the links

Quote Originally Posted by G-Men Surg. View Post
    Thanks RF, excellent work !
    You are welcome

Quote Originally Posted by I'll take 5 View Post
    Thanks for the links
    No problem

Quote Originally Posted by I'll take 5 View Post
    Thanks for the links
    My pleasure

i dont like how snee seems to be discussing retiring...weird and i suggest people read that.