+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

News, notes, rumors, and gossip: Friday, August 3, 2012

HERE NOW THE NEWS

EXCERPTS FROM EXTERNAL NEWS ARTICLES REGARDING THE NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS ARE POSTED UNDER THEIR SOURCES. MISCELLANEOUS SPORTS ARTICLES ARE POSTED UNDER THE "MISCELLANEOUS" SECTION AT THE END OF THE THREAD. LINKS FOR ALL LISTED SOURCES ARE INCLUDED TO ALLOW MEMBERS TO INDEPENDENTLY BROWSE AT THEIR LEISURE.

NEWARK STAR LEDGER

GIANTS' WILL BEATTY, JACQUIAN WILLIAMS SIDELINED FOR TODAY'S PRACTICE

Excerpt: "Some bad news, folks. The Giants were on the southernmost field here at UAlbany today and the sightlines weren’t nearly as good as they are on the other fields.
    We were on the sideline and about 30 yards back, too far removed to see some of the finer details. I’m not complaining, just saying this report isn’t as detailed as the ones I’ve been doing. Sorry about that.

The trade-off was our first good view of offensive line-defensive line 1-on-1 drills, so I’ll break those down in a few." Read more...

GIANTS' WILL HILL BURNING PENT-UP ENERGY FROM YEAR OFF IN TRAINING CAMP PRACTICES

Excerpt: "Greg Jones got an earful from Tom Coughlin on Thursday when he made a bit too much contact with running back David Wilson during practice.
    Minutes later, Will Hill delivered a pair of similar hits. He was not reprimanded, nor did he feel badly about it.

"I haven’t played football in a year. I have a lot of built-up (energy) in me," the Giants' safety said. "I need to hit somebody." Read more...

##

GIANTS OPTIMISTIC TERRELL THOMAS ISN'T DONE FOR THE YEAR

Excerpt: "The Giants’ coaches and players were speaking in funereal tones earlier this week when talking about the injury to Terrell Thomas’ knee. While they said they still had hope Thomas would be okay, it was pretty clear they thought he was done for the year. Then Thomas went to see the doctor who performed surgery on his knee last year and, on Wednesday night, an ESPN report indicated the doctor believed Thomas could play this season.

Today, cautious optimism returned to Giants training camp.

“I’m going to stay positive,” coach Tom Coughlin said, “until somebody tells me differently.” Read more...

GIANTS' TRAVIS BECKUM WATCHES, LISTENS, AND LEARNS, IN NO RUSH TO RETURN FROM ACL

Excerpt: "Give Travis Beckum credit for his honesty when asked if Terrell Thomas’ (potential) second ACL injury in as many years scared him.
    “It did,” said the Giants tight end, who is recovering from a torn ACL suffered in the Super Bowl. “But you can’t try to progress on your knee and think about that at the same time. You’ve kind of got to blank that out and just work on your (knee).”

At the same time, Beckum must heed the lessons of the repeat injury for Thomas, as well for cornerback Brian Witherspoon and former Giants linebacker Jonathan Goff. Witherspoon’s comeback from an ACL injury ended when he tore the ligament again in the spring; Goff tore his once again this week during a practice with the Redskins." Read more...

GIANTS' DOMENIK HIXON MAKES LEAPING CATCH TO END PRACTICE, HELPS TO PROVE KNEE IS HEALTHY

Excerpt: "Tom Coughlin was lamenting the fact he had hoped the two-minute drill would last a little bit longer than just three plays - two passes and a run to set up a game-winning field goal.
    "They just looked at me and said, 'What was the objective?'" the Giants' coach said. "To get inside the 20."

That's just what happened when Domenik Hixon caught a slant past linebacker Chase Blackburn on the first snap. One play later, he went up the left sideline with Prince Amukamara on his hip, leaped for the pass from Eli Manning and came down with it inside that 20-yard line.

And more importantly, Hixon got right back up." Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

BRADSHAW SAYS WILSON DOESN'T NEED SO MUCH FLASH

Excerpt: "David Wilson’s teammates rave about his explosive ability, and his head coach has seen enough to believe in his big-play ability.

But the Ahmad Bradshaw, has some advice for his rookie understudy. To Bradshaw, Wilson needs to sometimes ditch his flash, and focus on a simpler running approach.

“He’s still young,” Bradshaw said Friday. “He kind of does his own thing, juking and doing a lot of things, putting a lot of torque on his ankles and knees and different things. We’re trying to teach him how to be a professional and just hold back on some of those things.” Read more...

##

NOT ALL IN AGREEMENT OVER ACL INJURY TO GIANTS' TERRELL THOMAS

Excerpt: "Tom Coughlin is willing to cling to the hope that Terrell Thomas might be able to play again sometime this season, even though that hope seems to be very small.

Thomas, who missed all of last season with a torn ACL and reinjured his right knee at training camp on Sunday, is scheduled to see Dr. James Andrews in Florida on Tuesday to get a third opinion on his injury. The Giants’ doctors initially said he had reinjured his ACL.

But the doctor who performed Thomas’ ACL surgery last August — Arthur Ting — examined the cornerback in California earlier this week and apparently disagreed. That prompted a report that said some doctors believed the ACL — which Thomas has now torn twice in the last seven years — isn’t torn and that the defensive back could return this season." Read more...

ELI KNOWS HOW TO DRAW ATTENTION TO THE GIANTS

Excerpt: "Eli Manning made it clear that he’s “not jealous” of all the attention being focused on the Jets this summer, but he does have an idea of how to get the focus back on the defending champs.

“I told David Carr to take his shirt off while we were running sprints after practice,” Manning said on ESPN Radio on Thursday, “to see if he can get the same coverage."

That of course was a reference to the now infamous picture of Jets backup quarterback Tim Tebow running shirtless in the rain – a picture that made the back page of the Daily News and created quite a stir everywhere. Things are much less crazy in Albany where Carr, Manning’s backup, probably hasn’t even done an interview yet." Read more...

GIANTS' ANTREL ROLLE WILL CHIP IN AT CORNER AGAIN WITH THOMAS IN LIMBO WITH INJURY

Excerpt: "When Terrell Thomas first went down with his ACL injury on Sunday afternoon, Dave Merritt figured he was in for a tough conversation. A year ago, the Giants’ safeties coach knew Antrel Rolle didn’t like switching from safety to cornerback in nickel defenses.
    Now he was going to have to do so again.

But when Merritt approached the seven-year veteran this time, he got a pleasant surprise. Rolle said “no problem, Coach” when he was told to switch positions. Then on Monday, when the Giants found out Thomas would be out a while and Merritt told Rolle the switch might be permanent, he said, “Whatever it takes.”

And Rolle meant it, no matter what the Giants ask him to do.

“Well, in this league, we have to have an open mind,” Rolle, 29, said on Thursday. “A ballplayer is a ballplayer. It doesn’t matter what position you are at. And if I have to go down there and do it again, then so be it.” Read more...

HIXON SHOWS NO FEAR WITH BIG CAMP CATCH

Excerpt: "The play of the day in training camp was one Tom Coughlin didn’t want to see.

It was one of the last plays of practice during a two-minute drill with the Giants backed up on their own 38 yard line. Domenik Hixon took off down the left sideline and Eli Manning threw a bomb that Hixon caught by leaping over Prince Amukamara.

Then Hixon went down … and was slow to get up.

He was OK, but given what just happened to Terrell Thomas, that was a hold-your-breath moment for the receiver who is trying to rehab from two ACL tears in the last two years.

“Well, you know he’s going to try to make the play,” Coughlin said. “This guy is something else. He has no fear. He just went up there and he got it. If I had scripted it I wouldn’t have done it that way. I probably wouldn’t have had him in there. You see him go down …” Read more...

NEW YORK POST

GIANTS' MANNING TAKES SHOTS AT OVER EXPOSED JETS

Excerpt: "Eli Manning won’t take his shirt off, ala Tim Tebow, and jog off the practice field for all to see. But he does think one of his teammates should pull a Tebow.

“I told David Carr to take his shirt off while we were running sprints after practice to see if he can get the same coverage,’’ Manning cracked yesterday on ESPN Radio-New York.

No, the Giants backup quarterback probably won’t do what Manning suggests, but it’s clear the two-time Super Bowl MVP has taken notice of the outsized attention the Jets and Tebow have received this summer." Read more...

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...#ixzz22WYkdrA2

##

BEGRUDGINGLY, ANTREL ACCEPTS CHANGING ROLLE

Excerpt: "A year after being forced to play nickel corner — chafing and even talking about wanting to leave the Giants — safety Antrel Rolle has been thrust back into the nickel role again, at least for the moment, because of Terrell Thomas’ ACL injury.

Still, Rolle claims he’ll do whatever Big Blue needs, even if it doesn’t match up with what he wants.

“Yeah, that’s an accurate read,’’ Rolle said when asked about his preference for playing his natural position. “But in life, sometimes you’re going to get some changes. … You have to play the cards that are dealt to us. It’s something I’ve done before. I’m not a stranger in this position, so if I have to play it, then so be it.’’ Read more...
    GIANTS' DE JASON PIERRE-PAUL BALANCES FAITH WITH WREAKING HAVOC

Excerpt: "Jason Pierre-Paul is a man of faith, and very often in the morning, upon awakening, the first thing he does as he opens his eyes is express thanks that he’s made it to another day.

“Just because in life you never know what might happen,’’ Pierre-Paul told The Post yesterday before practice at the University of Albany. “You try to think about God as much as you can. Life is too short to take for granted.’’

He was brought up attending church with his parents and admits “I like ‘the word.’ ’’ He attends chapel services on Sundays but cannot make it to church, because most Sundays are workdays for the 23-year old phenom they call JPP." Read more...

HIXON PLAY SUCCESSFUL, BUT GIANTS' COUGHLIN NOT HAPPY

Excerpt: "The last play was a great play, although Tom Coughlin would have preferred the player who made it didn’t and that the actual play didn’t happen quite so quickly.

If this is the worst Coughlin has to worry about it’s going to be a smooth training camp for the Giants.

Working in the two-minute drill for the first time this summer, the offense got the ball on its own 26-yard line with 1:26 remaining, trailing by two points and two time outs to work with. Eli Manning hit Domenik Hixon for 11 yards and on the very next play, Manning let it fly as Hixon and cornerback Prince Amukamara ran with each other down the left sideline. Amukamara had the desired inside position but it was Hixon who jumped just a bit higher and competed just a bit harder, going up to make a leaping catch before tumbling down to the ground to complete a 45-yard gain." Read more...

SITE LINK
    THE BERGEN RECORD

ANTREL ROLLE CHANGING POSITIONS TO HELP GIANTS

Excerpt: "Antrel Rolle reported to training camp with a new haircut and the same mind-set that helped him emerge as a leader for the Giants on the way to their Super Bowl XLVI victory nearly six months ago.

The outspoken Rolle, who has said every word that leaves his mouth has a message, went from complaining about teammates and game plans to complimenting everything the franchise for which he plays represents, from ownership to coach Tom Coughlin and on down.

What the Giants have had since is a playmaker willing to sacrifice his own hunger for some more All-Pro glory in order to help solidify the defense, making it one of the best." Read more...

GIANTS' TRAINING CAMP INFORMATION

SITE LINK

NEW YORK TIMES

SITE LINK

WALL STREET JOURNAL

SITE LINK

GIANTS 101

MATHIAS KIWANUKA IMPRESSING, YOUNG WIDE RECEIVERS SHINING, AND MORE

Excerpt: "Sudden onsets of ominous clouds followed by thunder and lightning cut the August 1st practice short, but not before a few things were noticed. August 2nd practice proved to be a bit more productive for the New York Giants." Read more...

SITE LINK

BIG BLUE VIEW

NY GIANTS' NEWS AND NOTES: JACQUIAN WILLIAMS, DOMENIK HIXON, AND MORE

DAVID DOUGLAS: UNDRAFTED WIDE RECEIVER CATCHING ON WITH GIANTS

Excerpt: "David Douglas raced up the right sideline, deftly maneuvered his way past cornerback Janzen Jackson and was suddenly in the clear. Quarterback Ryan Perrilloux lofted a deep ball toward Douglas, a beautiful ball spiraling magnficently through the blue Albany sky, but really terribly thrown. It was too long, and too far to the outside, destined to be a disappointing incompletion.
    Wasn't it? Well, wasn't it? Douglas kept churning for the overthrown ball, hurtling himself through the air and reaching as far as he could with his right hand. Douglas held onto the ball when he hit the UAlbany grass, making a seemingly impossible catch that has to be the play of training camp thus far." Read more...

NY GIANTS' TRAINING CAMP: DAY 6 REPORT

Excerpt: "The New York Giants held their first complete full-padded practice of training camp Thursday at UAlbany. As far as coach Tom Coughlin was concerned, the 88-degree temperature and sunny skies were exactly what the Giants needed.

"Nice warm day. We needed it badly," Coughlin said. "Good work out here. Guys competed well, we made a little progress today. Two more good days like this will really help us."

Here is your Day 6 practice report." Read more...

SITE LINK

GMENHQ

SITE LINK

YARDBARKER.COM

SITE LINK

INSIDE FOOTBALL

THE DAY AT CAMP: AUGUST, 3, 2012

Excerpt: "Although the slogan hasn’t been officially adopted as the team’s “official” battle cry, Victor Cruz’s Young Whales T-shirts that bear the slogan “Business as usual,” have pretty much summed up the mood at Giants camp so far as the defending Super Bowl champions work toward getting ready to defend their title .
    But every so often, the team does take a break from its usual course of business to accommodate its fan base, such as what it did today for the crew at Big Blue Interactive, an independent online Giants community that’s entering its 18th season as one of the largest and most popular Giants fan communities on the internet." Read more...

##

THE DAY AT TRAINING CAMP: AUGUST 2, 2012

Excerpt: "I understand that there are questions about any player who had an ACL injury and if they had concerns about re-injuring it. So I get the need to talk to Domenik Hixon, who makes you hold your breath every time he goes down on the ground, or even Travis Beckum, who’s currently recovering from a torn ACL.
    But let’s face it – everyone is different and just because Terrell Thomas re-injured his ACL (supposedly), that doesn’t mean that every guy who had ACL surgery is a candidate for getting re-injured." Read more...

SITE LINK

THE RED ZONE

CHIEFS SIGN TONY UGOH

SITE LINK

GIANTSFOOTBALLBLOG

SITE LINK

NFL.COM

SITE LINK

SI.COM

SITE LINK

ESPN

DOMENIK HIXON IS AS FEARLESS AS EVER

Excerpt: "Domenik Hixon is just happy to be back at work.

"It's a blessing -- enjoying it, man. I was like enjoying the meetings and doing all of that. I couldn't wait to come to training camp, believe it or not," said Hixon, entering his fifth season with the Giants." Read more...

OFFENSIVE LINE LOOKS FOR CONSISTENCY IN 2012

Excerpt: "Offensive line coach Pat Flaherty said he would think his linemen are sick of the constant reminders and questions that the team ranked dead last in the NFL in rushing yards in 2011.

But he also said the criticism and questions were deserved. He said it starts with him, and, "I deserve it. We weren't very good."

"The one thing that we've been accustomed to, rightfully so as a New York Giant offensive line, is we take pride in running the football. And for the most part in the nine years I've been here ... we've had success running the football," Flaherty said.

"We've had great running backs to be able to display that. We've also had a good cohesion and work effort with the offensive line working together, so that's been something that has worked out very well for us." Read more...

##

CB HOSLEY: I'M LIKE A GREEN BANANA

Excerpt: "A day after veteran tight end Martellus Bennett likened himself to a black unicorn, rookie cornerback Jayron Hosley offered a unique comparison for himself: a banana.

“I’m trying to soak it all in. I’m like that green banana trying to stay green and keep learning, you know, I want to get ripe,” said Hosley, a third-round pick out of Virginia Tech “I don’t want to feel like I’m satisfied or complacent.” Read more...

JACQUIAN WILLIAMS IS BIGGER, NOT SLOWER

Excerpt: "There have been times in camp when Jacquian Williams literally makes noise in practice.

Williams twice stuffed rookie David Wilson at the line of scrimmage and hit him hard enough to make noise with his pads hitting the rookie's pads. Even though this is in non-tackling practices, Williams made sure to let the first-round pick know he could have put a licking on the running back.: Read more...

SITE LINK

NBCSPORTS

SITE LINK

CBSSPORTS

SITE LINK

FOXSPORTS

SITE LINK

YAHOOSPORTS

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLWEEKLY

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLFOCUS

SITE LINK

FOOTBALLOUTSIDERS

SITE LINK

MISCELLANEOUS

NFL NOT INTERESTED IN ON-UNIFORM ADVERTISING
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 08-03-2012 at 08:11 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Veteran
    Thanks bro.

G'morning everyone.

Thanks for the info, Roanoke. As always job well done!

Quote Originally Posted by BeatYale View Post
    Thanks bro.

G'morning everyone.
    And a gracious good day to you
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    Thanks for the info, Roanoke. As always job well done!
    An informed fan is a better fan!

# 80

Veteran
    Thank u once again. I look forward to reading your posts on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by midnite_nj View Post
    Thank u once again. I look forward to reading your posts on a daily basis.

Glad to help out

# 80

Starter
    Thanks very much!
    Love Hixon's work-the man is fearless. Please hold together.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Giant View Post
    Thanks very much!
    Love Hixon's work-the man is fearless. Please hold together.
    So far so good. I think Coughlin almost had a coronary though when he made that catch and hit the turf

# 80

Thanks Roanoke!