+ Reply to Thread

News, notes, rumors, and gossip: Saturday, August 4, 2012

HERE NOW THE NEWS

EXCERPTS FROM EXTERNAL NEWS ARTICLES REGARDING THE NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS ARE POSTED UNDER THEIR SOURCES. MISCELLANEOUS SPORTS ARTICLES ARE POSTED UNDER THE "MISCELLANEOUS" SECTION AT THE END OF THE THREAD. LINKS FOR ALL LISTED SOURCES ARE INCLUDED TO ALLOW MEMBERS TO INDEPENDENTLY BROWSE AT THEIR LEISURE.

NEWARK STAR LEDGER

GIANTS WITHOUT HALF OF THEIR LINEBACKERS, INCLUDING CHASE BLACKBURN, AT PRACTICE

Excerpt: "Tom Coughlin ended practice a half hour early today.
    Was it because of the heat? The approaching thunderstorm? To give the players time to spend with their family members, many of whom arrived today before Sunday’s off day?

"We really don't have many linebackers practicing,” the Giants’ coach replied in a tone that suggested he’s as annoyed as ever by injuries." Read more...

GIANTS' WILL BEATTY SAYS TESTS ON HIS BACK CONFIRM HE'S MAKING GOOD PROGRESS

Excerpt: "As the Giants’ left tackle battling a back issue, Will Beatty probably should’ve realized his missing practice on Friday to visit the doctor would’ve resulted in a mass group of cameras, microphones and recorders in front of his face today.
    “It’s just a routine checkup that I had,” Beatty told reporters on his way into the UAlbany cafeteria today. “But we’re in camp, so every day you’re out there in practice … you get a checkup and you end up missing (practice). And you come back to all of this media love.” Read more...

PRINCE AMUKAMARA READIES FOR BREAKTHROUGH SECOND YEAR AFTER DEALING WITH CRITICISM AS ROOKIE

Excerpt: "In the hours after Prince Amukamara allowed a 74-yard reception to the Cowboys’ Laurent Robinson last December, he thumbed through his replies on Twitter.
    One of them read, as Amukamara recalls, “So you can chase down a lion but you can’t chase down a receiver?”

It was a racially charged slight toward Amukamara, a native of Massachusetts whose Nigerian parents take an awful lot of pride in their heritage.

The tweet was surely intended as a hurtful jab. Except it apparently had no effect." Read more...

GIANTS' WILL BEATTY, JACQUIAN WILLIAMS SIDELINED FOR TODAY'S PRACTICE

Excerpt: "Some bad news, folks. The Giants were on the southernmost field here at UAlbany today and the sightlines weren’t nearly as good as they are on the other fields.
    We were on the sideline and about 30 yards back, too far removed to see some of the finer details. I’m not complaining, just saying this report isn’t as detailed as the ones I’ve been doing. Sorry about that.

The trade-off was our first good view of offensive line-defensive line 1-on-1 drills, so I’ll break those down in a few." Read more...

GIANTS' WILL HILL BURNING PENT-UP ENERGY FROM YEAR OFF IN TRAINING CAMP PRACTICES

Excerpt: "Greg Jones got an earful from Tom Coughlin on Thursday when he made a bit too much contact with running back David Wilson during practice.
    Minutes later, Will Hill delivered a pair of similar hits. He was not reprimanded, nor did he feel badly about it.

"I haven’t played football in a year. I have a lot of built-up (energy) in me," the Giants' safety said. "I need to hit somebody." Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

GIANTS' JPP IS ADDING MENTAL GAME TO ABSURD PHYSICAL GIFTS

Excerpt: "Jason Pierre-Paul puts his hand on the grass in the middle of a practice on a sweltering summer afternoon, and it’s clear the offensive lineman in front of him is in trouble. He’s strong enough to shove the 300-pounder back into the pocket, and quick enough to let go and cut outside before the lineman can react.

He rode that power and athleticism to 16˝ sacks last season. There were probably a dozen more sacks he caused with his rush or just missed getting himself. In just his second NFL season, “JPP” became one of the league’s most dominant defensive players.

Imagine how good he’s going to be when he actually figures this game out.

“In the past, it was just about raw talent,” says defensive line coach Robert Nunn. “He just went out there and reacted to what he got.” Read more...

##

GIANTS' RB AHMAD BRADSHAW TELLS ROOKIE TAILBACK DAVID WILSON TO SLOW DOWN IN CAMP

Excerpt: "Giants rookie tailback David Wilson runs low to the ground, he can cut on a dime and he has breakaway speed that almost makes coach Tom Coughlin giddy.

But the Giants know that already. And to veteran tailback Ahmad Bradshaw, it’s time for Wilson to stop working so hard to showcase those one-on-one running talents. To the veteran, it’s time for the understudy to adopt a simpler approach.

“Just with the fresh legs, you feel good and you want to show your talents out there. But everybody knows he’s fast and he can make moves,” Bradshaw said Friday. “It’s just the way he does it. At times, it’s not even needed.”

BRADSHAW SAYS WILSON DOESN'T NEED SO MUCH FLASH

Excerpt: "David Wilson’s teammates rave about his explosive ability, and his head coach has seen enough to believe in his big-play ability.

But the Ahmad Bradshaw, has some advice for his rookie understudy. To Bradshaw, Wilson needs to sometimes ditch his flash, and focus on a simpler running approach.

“He’s still young,” Bradshaw said Friday. “He kind of does his own thing, juking and doing a lot of things, putting a lot of torque on his ankles and knees and different things. We’re trying to teach him how to be a professional and just hold back on some of those things.” Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK POST

GIANTS' AHMAD BRADSHAW HAS MESSAGE TOE ROOKIE WILSON: THE JOB IS MINE

Excerpt: "
    That’s the mindset Ahmad Bradshaw adopted after the Giants brought in his eventual replacement. The veteran running back will be helpful, offer advice, give suggestions and counsel David Wilson in any way he can. But he will not give him his job.

“Never,’’ Bradshaw yesterday told The Post standing outside his car on a hot morning at the University at Albany. “My job right now is to protect myself and to be a leader for this team. Whatever I can do to win. I’m not giving up my job easy for no one. I’ll always fight for my job.’’ Read more...

WILL BEATTY OUT WITH BACK PROBLEMS

Excerpt: "The Giants hoped Will Beatty’s back problems were behind him, but apparently they are not.

Beatty has returned to his spot as the starting left tackle and arrived at training camp ready to participate after spending the offseason on the sideline, forced to watch because of a weight-lifting induced back injury. Beatty made it through the first week of camp, but practice yesterday came and went without him.

“His back is bothering him,’’ coach Tom Coughlin said after practice.

Asked if Beatty was held out as a precaution, Coughlin said, “No, he was kind of slowing down a little bit so they want to look at that.’’ Read more...

GIANTS' WILL HILL RISES AFTER HITTING ROCK BOTTOM

Excerpt: "From prep phenom to NFL reclamation project: Will Hill’s fall wasn’t quick or easy and his climb back may be far longer and much tougher. Now the East Orange, N.J., native is in camp with the Giants, trying to make up for lost time and make a name for himself — or at least clean up the name he already has.

An All-American at St. Peter’s Prep in Jersey City and a standout and teammate of Tim Tebow’s at Florida, Hill had the talent to be a mid-round pick in 2011. But after a 2010 suspension for violating Gators rules, after tweets about marijuana use and sex with hookers, and after poor interviews with NFL teams, he went undrafted. As far as who derailed what should have been a fast-tracked career, Hill knows exactly who’s responsible:" Read more...

SITE LINK

THE BERGEN RECORD

GIANTS' CAMP NOTES: WILL BEATTY'S ACHING BACK

Excerpt: ""He was kind [of] slowing down a little bit," coach Tom Coughlin said after practice. "So I think they might look at that."
    Beatty missed most of OTAs and the veterans’ minicamp because of pain he said was caused by his sciatic nerve. He has been taking things slowly, but participating in nearly everything up until Friday.

"The question in life is not whether you get knocked down. You will," Beatty wrote in a tweet after practice Friday. "The question is, are you ready to get back up ... & fight" Read more...

GIANTS' TRAINING CAMP INFORMATION

SITE LINK

NEW YORK TIMES

SITE LINK

WALL STREET JOURNAL

SITE LINK

GIANTS 101

SITE LINK

BIG BLUE VIEW

GIANTS;' NEWS AND NOTES: ADVICE FOR DAVID WILSON AND MORE

Excerpt: "Good morning, New York Giants fans! Here is your Saturday morning notebook as training camp at UAlbany rolls on." Read more...

SITE LINK

GMENHQ

SITE LINK

YARDBARKER.COM

SITE LINK

INSIDE FOOTBALL

THE DAY AT CAMP: AUGUST, 3, 2012

Excerpt: "Although the slogan hasn’t been officially adopted as the team’s “official” battle cry, Victor Cruz’s Young Whales T-shirts that bear the slogan “Business as usual,” have pretty much summed up the mood at Giants camp so far as the defending Super Bowl champions work toward getting ready to defend their title .
    But every so often, the team does take a break from its usual course of business to accommodate its fan base, such as what it did today for the crew at Big Blue Interactive, an independent online Giants community that’s entering its 18th season as one of the largest and most popular Giants fan communities on the internet." Read more...

SITE LINK

THE RED ZONE

CHIEFS SIGN TONY UGOH

SITE LINK

GIANTSFOOTBALLBLOG

SITE LINK

NFL.COM

SITE LINK

SI.COM

SITE LINK

ESPN

DOMENIK HIXON IS AS FEARLESS AS EVER

Excerpt: "Domenik Hixon is just happy to be back at work.

"It's a blessing -- enjoying it, man. I was like enjoying the meetings and doing all of that. I couldn't wait to come to training camp, believe it or not," said Hixon, entering his fifth season with the Giants." Read more...

OFFENSIVE LINE LOOKS FOR CONSISTENCY IN 2012

Excerpt: "Offensive line coach Pat Flaherty said he would think his linemen are sick of the constant reminders and questions that the team ranked dead last in the NFL in rushing yards in 2011.

But he also said the criticism and questions were deserved. He said it starts with him, and, "I deserve it. We weren't very good."

"The one thing that we've been accustomed to, rightfully so as a New York Giant offensive line, is we take pride in running the football. And for the most part in the nine years I've been here ... we've had success running the football," Flaherty said.

"We've had great running backs to be able to display that. We've also had a good cohesion and work effort with the offensive line working together, so that's been something that has worked out very well for us." Read more...

SITE LINK

NBCSPORTS

SITE LINK

CBSSPORTS

SITE LINK

FOXSPORTS

SITE LINK

YAHOOSPORTS

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLWEEKLY

HERZLICH TRIES TO CONTINUE HIS RISE

Excerpt: "Mark Herzlich is turning out to be more than a feel-good story from the New York Giants' run to the Super Bowl last season.
    The cancer survivor who beat the odds to make it to NFL is turning out to be a pretty good middle linebacker who has a shot at landing a starting job in his second season with the Giants." Read more...

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLFOCUS

SITE LINK

FOOTBALLOUTSIDERS

SITE LINK

MISCELLANEOUS

EAGLES LOOK TO REBOUND

BURRESS COULD BE A FIT FOR THE RAIDERS

NFL NOT INTERESTED IN ON-UNIFORM ADVERTISING
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 08-04-2012 at 08:42 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Starter
    Thanks RF!

ALL-IN!

thanks much Roanoke!

Quote Originally Posted by GiantVibes View Post
    Thanks RF!
    Have a great NYFG day
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue1971 View Post
    thanks much Roanoke!
    You are welcome

Once again bro thanks a lot !

Quote Originally Posted by G-Men Surg. View Post
    Once again bro thanks a lot !
    Enjoy the news

Starter
    Sorry I am late reading this-had to work yesterday.
    Thanks RF!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Giant View Post
    Sorry I am late reading this-had to work yesterday.
    Thanks RF!
    Working on today's news as we "speak"