+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

News, notes, rumors, and gossip: Sunday, August 5, 2012

HERE NOW THE NEWS

EXCERPTS FROM EXTERNAL NEWS ARTICLES REGARDING THE NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS ARE POSTED UNDER THEIR SOURCES. MISCELLANEOUS SPORTS ARTICLES ARE POSTED UNDER THE "MISCELLANEOUS" SECTION AT THE END OF THE THREAD. LINKS FOR ALL LISTED SOURCES ARE INCLUDED TO ALLOW MEMBERS TO INDEPENDENTLY BROWSE AT THEIR LEISURE.

NEWARK STAR LEDGER

GIANTS ISSUE STATEMENT OFFERING CONDOLENCES TO ANDY REID ON THE DEATH OF HIS SON

Excerpt: "Football is a game of emotion and passion. Even for those who don't wear it on their sleeve," the team said in a statement. "The pain and sadness we feel for Andy Reid and his family for the loss of their son is palpable. It's the same sense we had when Joe Philbin's son passed away, but the emotions are even stronger for us now because of our connection to Coach Reid and his team and the fact that we compete twice, and occasionally three times, a year.
    "We have such great respect for him as a person and coach." Read more...

##

VETERAN KEITH RIVERS REUNITED WITH # 55, VOWS TO TAKE CAR OF SPENCER PAYSINGER

Excerpt: "When Keith Rivers arrived in East Rutherford after the Giants acquired him via trade in the spring, he didn’t have to fight for the No. 55 he’d been wearing since college — a number that’s always been special to USC linebackers because it once belonged to Junior Seau.
    Spencer Paysinger, who had worn it only one season with the Giants, gave it up before Rivers could even ask." Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

RASH OF KNEE INJURIES TO GIANTS HAVE SOME EXPERTS WONDERING IF PLAYERS ARE COMING BACK TOO SOON

Excerpt: "Nobody else could see him smile. Not his coach, not the fans in attendance, and not the young cornerback he’d just toasted

But Domenik Hixon did smile. And as the Giants wideout picked himself off the University of Albany turf after Thursday’s training camp workout, he felt both relief and satisfaction. Nearly a year after suffering the second serious anterior cruciate ligament injury of his career, Hixon had been able to speed past Prince Amukamara in a two-minute drill, hold the corner on his hip, and make a tumbling catch.

More importantly, he’d been able to stand back up.

“I caught it, rolled around,” Hixon says. “I kind of just took a second, just kind of smiled to myself. It felt good to get up.” Read more...

GIANTS' JPP IS ADDING MENTAL GAME TO ABSURD PHYSICAL GIFTS

Excerpt: "Jason Pierre-Paul puts his hand on the grass in the middle of a practice on a sweltering summer afternoon, and it’s clear the offensive lineman in front of him is in trouble. He’s strong enough to shove the 300-pounder back into the pocket, and quick enough to let go and cut outside before the lineman can react.
    He rode that power and athleticism to 16˝ sacks last season. There were probably a dozen more sacks he caused with his rush or just missed getting himself. In just his second NFL season, “JPP” became one of the league’s most dominant defensive players.

Imagine how good he’s going to be when he actually figures this game out.

“In the past, it was just about raw talent,” says defensive line coach Robert Nunn. “He just went out there and reacted to what he got.” Read more...

GIANTS' ANTREL ROLLE READY TO REV BACK UP AFTER LOW-KEY OFFSEASON

Excerpt: "
    The Rolle family is intense and always has been, as reflected in the public persona of Antrel, the youngest of Al and Armelia’s four children.

So when Al sensed a more laid-back Antrel last month, he realized it was pep-talk time.

“I think they were a little bit, I wouldn’t say worried, but I took a different approach this offseason,” Antrel said the other day before another practice at training camp. “I was a little bit more laid-back, very chill, very relaxed because that season took a lot out of me last year. My dad was just saying, ‘This is the time. You have to get back, let’s go, let’s get motivated.’ ” Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK POST

GIANTS' TE BENNETT, STILL CATCHING ON

Excerpt: "The Giants knew their tight end position would be a work in progress this summer, with newly-signed Martellus Bennett and newly-drafted rookie Adrien Robinson joining holdover Bear Pascoe. Thus far, the Giants are getting what they expected.

Bennett is making strides but isn’t yet fully comfortable with the offense.

“We’ve got some talented guys that obviously got some work to do,’’ Tom Coughlin said. “Martellus is young and talented, he made some outstanding plays real early on, we think he’s gonna be a good blocker. Every day is an important day for his development and the rest of ‘em too. A lot of young guys there.’’ Read more...

BRADSHAW FILLS VOID LEFT BY JACOBS

Excerpt: "Justin Tuck didn’t fully emerge as a player and a Giants leader until after Michael Strahan retired. Can a similar metamorphosis be taking place with Ahmad Bradshaw now that Brandon Jacobs is no longer on the scene?

“It’s probably a good analogy,’’ Tuck said yesterday. “I never had Ahmad without Jacobs so I don’t know what the real Ahmad is in that light. I know he probably has the biggest heart of anybody on this football team and we know what to expect from him when he steps on the football field, banged up or not. We didn’t necessarily need him to say anything, we didn’t necessarily need him to be vocal." Read more...

DEFENSIVE LINEMAN SHAUN RODGERS NOT SO BIG ANY MORE, BUT STILL BLUE CHIP

Excerpt: "There are big guys and then there is Shaun Rogers, who is the biggest Giant of them all.

There are defensive linemen competing in training camp of various shapes and sizes and then there is the venerable Rogers, who his position coach, Robert Nunn, acknowledges isn’t like the others.

“He is a different look,’’ Nunn said, and there’s really no way to dispute that observation.

Rogers is 6-foot-4, which by itself doesn’t distinguish him from the pack. After all, that is the same height as Linval Joseph, the improving third-year starter at defensive tackle, and the very good-sized Joseph is 323 pounds. Rogers, on the other hand, is listed at 350 and looks every bit of it as the heaviest player on the 90-man roster." Read more...

SITE LINK

THE BERGEN RECORD

GIANTS' TRAINING CAMP INFORMATION

SITE LINK

NEW YORK TIMES

SITE LINK

WALL STREET JOURNAL

SITE LINK

GIANTS 101

NY GIANTS: SATURDAY, AUGUST 4TH TRAINING CAMP PRACTICE REPORT

Excerpt: "The New York Giants took the field on Saturday during what was easily the hottest and most humid day of training camp thus far, with temperatures approaching 100 degrees on the field. However, the weather wouldn't slow them down as they dove right in and conducted another intense practice as they prepare themselves to defend the Lombardi Trophy." Red more...

MRI REVEALS WILL BEATTY'S BACK IS HEALING AHEAD OF SCHEDULE

Excerpt: "New York Giants left tackle Will Beatty has been battling a variety of back problems all offseason, and that continued on Friday when he missed practice in order to undergo an MRI to determine where he is in his recovery. And prior to Saturday's practice, which he also missed, Beatty said that he was coming along nicely and feeling good." Read more...

SITE LINK

BIG BLUE VIEW

NY GIANTS' NEWS AND NOTES: QUOTEBOOK EDITION

Excerpt: "Not much news to report from New York Giants training camp this morning. Let's just give you a few quotes from the transcripts that were made available by the team's PR staff on Saturday." Read more...

SITE LINK

GMENHQ

SITE LINK

YARDBARKER.COM

GIANTS SUFFER NUMEROUS LOSSES WITHIN LINEBACKERS UNIT

Excerpt: "The New York Giants’ linebackers are dropping like flies at training camp.
    Last season’s hero Chase Blackburn joined an alarmingly long list of linebackers currently sidelined with injuries when a hit to his thigh earlier in the week kept him off the field." Read more...

GIANTS' MARK HERZLICH DEFYING ALL ODDS, MAKING STRONG CASE TO START IN 2012

Excerpt: "For the majority of cancer patients, beating the disease means simply just staying alive. However, for New York Giants linebacker Mark Herzlich, defeating cancer meant having a successful NFL career, despite being diagnosed with Ewing's sarcoma after his junior season at Boston College.
    Fortunately, after an intense five-month battle, Herzlich's cancer was in remission, and he was poised to begin preparing for his final year of collegiate football. Before his cancer diagnosis, Herzlich was projected as a first-round draft pick. However, after cancer, he was bypassed in all seven rounds of the draft. For some people, that would mean the end of their career. But Mark used it as motivation to once again prove everyone wrong. After the 2011 NFL Draft, he reacted with the same defiant, heroic attitude that helped him overcome cancer." Read more...

SITE LINK

INSIDE FOOTBALL

THE DAY AT CAMP: AUGUST 4, 2012

Excerpt: "In honor of London, England, which of course is the host of this year’s Summer Olympics, one of my favorite traditions to watch when I’m there the changing of the guard. The pageantry, color and discipline in which that ceremony is executed makes it quite a sight to behold.
    What does that have to do with the Giants? Well it looks like today we have a changing of the ‘guard’ at the middle linebacker position as Chase Blackburn, who entered camp as the incumbent, didn’t practice today due to a thigh bruise , giving way to Mark Herzlich, the second-year player who last season went undrafted after courageously battling his way back from cancer." Read more...

GIANTS' "FIRM" IS PRETTY SPECIAL

Excerpt: "On the wall of the Giants’ special teams meeting room is a mural consisting of a six by four-foot Fathead image of kicker Lawrence Tynes, punter Steve Weatherford, and long snapper Zak DeOssie taken just minutes after Tynes kicked the winning field goal against the 49ers in the NFC Championship game.
    Tynes, DeOssie, and Weatherford. It sounds like a law firm , but Giants fans better know them as the special teams backbone — three guys that contribute to the scoring and sets the defense up with a competitive advantage." Read more...

SITE LINK

THE RED ZONE

SITE LINK

GIANTSFOOTBALLBLOG

SITE LINK

NFL.COM

SITE LINK

SI.COM

SITE LINK

ESPN

SITE LINK

NBCSPORTS

SITE LINK

CBSSPORTS

SITE LINK

FOXSPORTS

SITE LINK

YAHOOSPORTS

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLWEEKLY

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLFOCUS

SITE LINK

FOOTBALLOUTSIDERS

SITE LINK

MISCELLANEOUS

REID PLANS TO COACH PRE-SEASON OPENER

##

COWBOYS' CB CLAIBORNE REPORTEDLY HAS SPRAINED MCL

VIKINGS CONFIRM TWO TORN PATELLA TENDONS FOR GREG CHILDS

GARRETT REID, SON OF EAGLES' COACH ANDY REID, FOUND DEAD

Last edited by RoanokeFan; 08-05-2012 at 08:02 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Thanks Roanoke!

Just hit up PFT, horrific news out of PHI and bad football news down in DAL. I'm kinda afraid to read our news.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    Thanks Roanoke!
    Have a great day!
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    Thanks Roanoke!
    You are very welcome

# 80

Starter
    Thank you Sir.
    All I get out here is RG3-do you know that he might walk on water. Already has a Subway commercial and hasn't thrown a pass in a game yet.
    Enjoy your Sunday RF.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Giant View Post
    Thank you Sir.
    All I get out here is RG3-do you know that he might walk on water. Already has a Subway commercial and hasn't thrown a pass in a game yet.
    Enjoy your Sunday RF.
    Tebow, RGIII are the hits of the off season

# 80

Thanks Ro.
    Some good articles here:
    Knee Rash
    JPP Mental
    Rodgers Not So Big

Quote Originally Posted by fourth&forever View Post
    Thanks Ro.
    Some good articles here:
    Knee Rash
    JPP Mental
    Rodgers Not So Big
    Lots of good information

# 80

Tynes has come thru for us, and let us down... still hold my breath when he tries a FG. Thanks. Good Read.