+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

When did you become a NY GIANTS fan and when was your first game you went to?

I enjoy hearing stories from guys that been fans in the good ol' days like the 60s and 70s.

I have been a fan since the 80s by birth but didn't start following the Giants seriously since last season. Growing up, my uncle and grandfather use to watch the Giants religiously while I use to wonder what was going on.

My first game is the Giants/Tampa Bay game this year on my birthday!
    MANNING TO CRUZ....

I grew up on L.I., and became a Titans fan in '60 when I was 13. My soon-to-be brother in law played for a bit with them that inaugural year. I watched the Giants on TV, but didn't care about them. In '67 I got married and my wife's spinster aunt was a Giant season ticket holder since '43. She didn't drive, so summer of '68, when I moved to CT, she let me take her to a Giants pre-season game against the Pats at Yale Bowl. Then, in '69 it was against the SB champ Jets (an incredible 'preseason' game). I was a Jet fan and Aunt Jean didn't like it. She made it her job to educate me about the great NY Giant's history and took me to more games and by the '71 season I was totally converted. Thank you, Aunt Jean. She lived long enough to enjoy SB XX!.

Veteran
    welcome to the boards. i became a fan in the 93, i came to the united states from Trinidad and Tobago i didn't know about American football, i use to play football home or soccer to you. all my friends in brooklyn were giants fans they exposed me the sport and i couldn't help but be a fan myself, watching R.Hampton play inspired me to try out for my schools football team as a RB. ( made the roster as third string and worked my way to starting) best year for me was 1999-2000 where coach fassel made the guarantee, and getting to the super bowl. it was my first super bowl as i had missed the one we won in 1990. so emotions was high and i shed tears that day, that when i realized i was a true fan, not influenced by anyone else but because i loved this team. they have done me a great justice in the past 5 years for those tears shed in 2000.

GO BIG BLUE!

My dad,rip, indoctrinated me in 1961. I was hooked immediately.
    I watched the championship game on tv from Green Bay (37-0 packers)
    Watched the giants lose the next two championship games, to the packers and bears respectively.
    And then, no playoff football until 1981. Thankfully, commissioner Rozelle guide the giants into selecting george young to run the team. Young hired Ray Perkins, who changed the mindset from a family run country club into a situation where losing was going to be miserable. Young drafted Simms in 79 and LT in 81 and we were on our way.

In 1981 when Lawrence Taylor was drafted. My uncle used to play for the Kecoughtan Warriors in Hampton, Virginia as an offensive lineman. I didn't get along with my uncle at all but I was forced to see some of his high school games. One game they played Lafayette(Williamsburg) and he was eaten up all game by Lawrence Taylor. I started following his whereabouts because of the embarrassment he put on my uncle. When the Giants picked him up I became a fan and have been since. I wasn't a diehard at that time but more of a casual fan.

It wasn't until about '84 that I became more than a casual and then it got worse in the Marines because we always talked smack about "our" teams.

First (and only to this point)live game I saw was on November 25, 2001 when the Giants played the Raiders. Even though the Giants lost I thought it was pretty cool because I got to see Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, Michael Strahan, Tiki Barber, Jesse Armstead, Mike Barrow and a whole host of good players.

I should just keep a what I am about to type saved somewhere in my computer so I can just copy and paste it every time this comes up.....

......for the old time guys who have heard this all before kindly skip this post

I grew up in a family of rabid Giant fans in the 50's
    I lived in the Bronx in walking distance from Yankee Stadium and my dad and uncle would walk me down to the Concourse Plaza Hotel where some players lived.....on Sundays they would all walk together to the Stadium......yeah you heard me (read me) right......walk to the stadium.....

so I apparently met a lot of the old time players in the 50s....but I dont really remember....sometimes I feel like I remember certain guys but I am not sure if it is from hearing the story so many times....or I actually remember....

anyway.....my very first game was on Oct. 28 1962....Giants - Redskins
    my uncle and dad took my brother and I ...... I watched YA Tittle throw 7 TD passes and over 500yds... I have never been the same
    I was 9 years old and I remember the Giants were driving down the field with ease and everyone around me in the stands looked 100 feet tall ...and they were all yelling for YA to throw the 8th TD......but they just kept running the ball

dads season tickets have been mine since '74....but one of the seats was always designated for him until his passing in '96

a couple years ago I met YA at Giants Stadium ....I got a quick handshake and quickly got to tell him I was there that day and how it changed my life.
    he just smiled and said thank you
    thats all I needed
    Last edited by YATittle1962; 08-06-2012 at 02:06 AM.

I had been raised a Giant from birth, but didn't really lock on to it until 2000, when they had the flash of relevancy. I was too young to remember Simms and Taylor, and my first memory of the Giants was Dave Brown running the show. I did have the anti-Cowboys doctrine squarely ingrained however, to the point that in 1995 I became a 49ers fan for a few years because they prevented the 3- (and what would have been 4-) peat. I still see them as one of the other teams I like in the league (along with the packers). But anyway, after TC and Eli came in, I really started to get into it. I was decked out in blue for both SB wins against the Pats.

Haven't been to any games in person though... I work in a church (which, by default, means I work Sundays).

Banned
    I became a Giants fan the night Whitney Houston sang the National Anthem. I followed them throughout that season because my bIg cousIn was a dIe hard that forced me and a frIend of mIne to watch but that amazing game sealed the deal. I missed a few years but I got back into football in 97 and I probably only missed 5 to seven games since.

born/ raised: Manhattan

Received a Jets hat from my godfather, didn't like it much. Always felt a pull towards the Giants since they rocked my favorite color. (remember I was a wee lad then)

Got a basic Giants tee from a friend of my dad, loved it. Had family from Chicago rub it in my face when the bears won, felt nothing but warm fuzzies the following year when I got to return the long-distance phone call.

sadly, never got to attend a game as the divorce of my parents followed by a swift moving away (re-location to Chicago) killed it.

I am waiting for the next time the Giants play the bears at chicago. Maybe I can take the Missus to my 1st Giants game.

(I've already caught the Knicks and Yanks here in recent years...the Giants and Rangers would make this homesick dude quite happy)

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

Why Am I a Giants Fan!

I started out in mid-60's as a Browns fan. Loved Jim Brown and Frank Ryan. I also followed the Joe Kapp Vikings and the Purple People Eaters.
    I became a fan when Fran Tarkenton was traded to Giants. They were pretty bad back then and I wanted to root for the underdog.Also they were on CBS every Sunday so I started following them.
    I had Spider Lockhart and Ron Johnson SI Posters on my bedroom walls.
    Loved Tarkenton and his scrambling. He made Giants respectable again.I remember actually crying when they lost that last game to the Rams when a win would've put them in the playoffs . They got crushed. I followed Fran back to the Vikings and became a Vikings fan again as well but I was still a huge Giants fan. I thought it was great when Giants went back to the classic ny helmets w/numbers on the front. Will always be a Giants fan.
    The only game I ever attended was a pre-season game the season after their 1st Superbowl win. Sat way up top. Kinda sucked though.
    Last edited by psmachetti; 08-05-2012 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Add info