+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

News, notes, rumors, and gossip: Monday, August 6, 2012

HERE NOW THE NEWS

EXCERPTS FROM EXTERNAL NEWS ARTICLES REGARDING THE NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS ARE POSTED UNDER THEIR SOURCES. MISCELLANEOUS SPORTS ARTICLES ARE POSTED UNDER THE "MISCELLANEOUS" SECTION AT THE END OF THE THREAD. LINKS FOR ALL LISTED SOURCES ARE INCLUDED TO ALLOW MEMBERS TO INDEPENDENTLY BROWSE AT THEIR LEISURE.

NEWARK STAR LEDGER

GIANTS' MICHAEL BOLEY RETURNS TO PRACTICE AFTER SITTING OUT A WEEK WITH A HAMSTRING INJURY

Excerpt: "Before we get going on the practice report, let me note Tom Coughlin took time at the top of his press conference today to speak about the death of Garrett Reid and send his best wishes to the Reid family.
    "(Sunday) was a very sad day for all of us in the NFL family," Coughlin said. "And our condolences, our deepest sympathy goes out to Andy and Tammy Reid and their family (after) the terrible, terrible loss of their son."

Coughlin also mentioned defensive quality control coach Al Holcomb lost his mother." Read more...

GIANTS' TERRELL THOMAS WILL TRY REHABILITATING ACL INJURY IN HOPES OF RETURNING

Excerpt: "Terrell Thomas flew all over the country in search of the answer he wanted.
    Well, he got it.

Tom Coughlin announced after today’s practice the Giants’ cornerback is on his way back after the team’s doctors, his surgeon and noted orthopedic surgeon James Andrews conferred and decided Thomas can try rehabbing his knee, which swelled at the start of camp." Read more...

##

GIANTS' ADRIEN ROBINSON TRYING TO SHAKE OFF DROPPED PASSES, "ROOKIE JITTERS"

Excerpt: "Adrien Robinson had only one drop in his senior season at Cincinnati, and there was even some debate as to whether that was a catchable ball.
    In Saturday’s practice here at training camp, the Giants’ rookie tight end dropped two balls.

“That’s why I told them it’s not like me to miss those passes,” said Robinson, who showed excellent hands during rookie camp in the spring. “I think it’s a little bit of the rookie jitters, but that’s no excuse.” Read more...

GIANTS' DEFENSE DOING ITS BEST TO SHUT DOWN VICTOR CRUZ

Excerpt: "Chase Blackburn and the rest of the Giants defensive players were taking part in the walk-through portion of a recent practice, during which the defensive players are on one end of the field and the offense occupies the other. Blackburn heard it — “Cruuuuuuuz” — and couldn’t believe it.

“They were doing quarterback-receiver drills. On air. With no defense,” the veteran linebacker said, pausing for emphasis after each phrase. “And every time he caught a ball, the fans chanted. I’m like, ‘Are you kidding me?’ ” Read more...

GIANTS ISSUE STATEMENT OFFERING CONDOLENCES TO ANDY REID ON THE DEATH OF HIS SON

Excerpt: "Football is a game of emotion and passion. Even for those who don't wear it on their sleeve," the team said in a statement. "The pain and sadness we feel for Andy Reid and his family for the loss of their son is palpable. It's the same sense we had when Joe Philbin's son passed away, but the emotions are even stronger for us now because of our connection to Coach Reid and his team and the fact that we compete twice, and occasionally three times, a year.

"We have such great respect for him as a person and coach." Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

THOMAS HEADED BACK TO GIANTS' CAMP FOR REHAB, HOPING TO AVOID SURGERY

Excerpt: "Tom Coughlin delivered the long-awaited news on cornerback Terrell Thomas and afterward was asked if this was the best-case scenario for the Giants.

“I think it is,’’ Coughlin said Monday afternoon following practice at the University at Albany.

Thomas is headed back here as soon as possible to begin a rehabilitation program on his right knee, which was feared to have suffered another season-ending injury to his anterior cruciate ligament. Thomas missed the entire 2011 season with a torn right ACL and he went down early in camp this summer with what the Giants reported as another injury to the ACL. If further surgery was needed, his 2012 season would have been over before it started." Read more...

##

CHASE BLACKBURN BACK AT PRACTICE

Excerpt: "Giants LB Chase Blackburn, who did not practice on Saturday because of a sore thigh, said he will be back on the field on Monday.
    "I'm gonna practice today," he said. "I'm good. I'm gonna be rocking and rolling today."

Blackburn said the thigh injury that kept him out on Saturday was hardly severe. If it were a game, he likely would have played. He called the day of rest a "veteran day." Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK POST

GIANTS' PRACTICE: BOLEY RETURNS, PRINCE SITS, CRUZ SOARS

Excerpt: "As for practice, it ended with a bang, with Eli Manning running the four-minute offense tossing deep downfield to Victor Cruz, who ran by cornerback Michael Coe, stayed in bounds on the left sideline and somehow leaped and made a twisting over-the-shoulder catch as safety Antrel Rolle closed in on him." Read more...

MARVIN AUSTIN AIMS TO BE A CUT ABOVE

Excerpt: "You tell Marvin Austin you almost didn’t recognize him, and he responds with a boyish smile and a knowing nod.

“The dreads,’’ he says.

The newly-shorn Austin has a bag in which he saved the piles of dreadlocks that tumbled from his head for the past 13 years — more than half of the lifetime of the 23-year-old defensive tackle who is literally trying to put a new face on a stalled career.

“I really have gotten a lot of compliments on my haircut,’’ Austin said recently at Giants training camp. “I love it. My mom, she likes it, she says, ‘Now you’re representing me the right way.’ She thought I looked Rastafarian or something crazy. Not to say that Rastafarians are crazy. She said I need to keep myself better groomed.’’ Read more...

SITE LINK

THE BERGEN RECORD

GIANTS' TRAINING CAMP INFORMATION

SITE LINK

NEW YORK TIMES

SITE LINK

WALL STREET JOURNAL

SITE LINK

GIANTS 101

GIANTS' DEFENSIVE LINE COACH ROBERT NUNN SAYS MARVIN AUSTIN IS "OFF TO A GOOD START"

Excerpt: "After being out of football for the past two seasons, New York Giants defensive tackle Marvin Austin has a lot to prove this training camp. For starters, he needs to show that he has the ability to play to the speed of the NFL game. Theres a long list of college players who come to the NFL and never fully adjust themselves to the elite competition around them. Given Austin's long layoff, it wouldn't be a shock for that to be the case." Read more...

WITHOUT BRANDON JACOBS, GIANTS' RB AHMAD BRADSHAW HAS STEPPED IN T LEADERSHIP ROLE

Excerpt: "The relationship between Brandon Jacobs and Ahmad Bradshaw was much like a big brother, little brother relationship. The two running backs had grown extremely close over the last several years, and that bond resulted in some awkwardness when Bradshaw was ultimately given the starting job … which had been Jacobs'. But with BJac now in San Francisco with the 49ers, Bradshaw has been allowed to come into his own, and almost immediately he's developed into an offensive leader" Read more...

SITE LINK

BIG BLUE VIEW

NY GIANTS' NEWS AND NOTES: TERRELL THOMAS AND MORE

Excerpt: "Good morning, New York Giants fans! Here is your Monday morning notebook.
    It sounds like Terrell Thomas is meeting with Dr. James Andrews today, at least if you go by what Thomas said Sunday night on Twitter." Read more...

SITE LINK

GMENHQ

SITE LINK

YARDBARKER.COM

2012 NEW YORK GIANTS: WINNING THE SUPER BOWL AGAIN

Excerpt: "Today I will be discussing what the Giants have to do this season to defend their crown. The Giants have targets painted on their back after winning there second championship in five years.

Stay Healthy: The Giants last year were plagued by injuries. This year it’s already starting. The Giants have lost starting CB Terrell Thomas with a 3rd ACL tear. For the Giants to repeat they are going to have to stay healthy at key positions." Read more...

NFL RUMORS: PLAXICO BURRESS STILL ANN OPTION FOR THE NEW YORK GIANTS?

Excerpt: "I think even if Plaxico Burress had signed with another team, there would still be rumors swirling about him signing with the New York Giants at some point. Maybe those rumors will stop when he turns 50. Just when you thought those rumors were dead, Giants general manager Jerry Reese brings you right back with his typical cliché nonsense.

“We keep all those options open. You never say never.” Read more..

SITE LINK

INSIDE FOOTBALL

SITE LINK

THE RED ZONE

SITE LINK

GIANTSFOOTBALLBLOG

SITE LINK

NFL.COM

SITE LINK

SI.COM

SITE LINK

ESPN

PRACTICE 411:PRINCE WATCHES PRACTICE

Excerpt: " On the same day the Giants got positive news about Terrell Thomas, cornerback Prince Amukamara had to sit out practice because of a hamstring issue.

Head coach Tom Coughlin didn't sound too concerned and called it a "little bit" of a hamstring injury. LB Michael Boley (hamstring) returned to practice. But LB Jacquian Williams, LB Jake Muasau and LT Will Beatty also did not practice. DT Dwayne Hendricks appeared to suffer an injury to his knee -- Coughlin said there was initial concern about his MCL -- but was up on the sideline moving around afterward.

Coughlin said the news regarding Beatty is positive, but the left tackle "does have some sciatic nerve issues and they are trying to eliminate that." The team is being very cautious with Beatty.

Here are some observations from Monday's practice:" Read more...

##

SITE LINK

NBCSPORTS

SITE LINK

CBSSPORTS

SITE LINK

FOXSPORTS

SITE LINK

YAHOOSPORTS

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLWEEKLY

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLFOCUS

SITE LINK

FOOTBALLOUTSIDERS

SITE LINK

MISCELLANEOUS

HOW WILL ANDY REID HANDLE THIS TRAGEDY?

FIRST FEMALE REF WILL WORK THURSDAY NIGHT
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 08-06-2012 at 06:26 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

merci beau coup , Monsieur RF!
    was actually going over the last couple drafts in my head this morning while posting in another thread, and for the life of me, couldn't recall the second pick from last year.
    then it hit me, Marvin... really hope he stays healthy, and contributes to the d-lines rotation this year.
    my beer drinking team has a football problem

Looking forward to seeing Marvin Austin in game situations

Thanks Ro...
    looks Austin realy wants to be in the middle on reg basis. Hope he pans out.
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    Thanks Ro...
    looks Austin realy wants to be in the middle on reg basis. Hope he pans out.
    Just added an article about him to the thread. Coach Nunn says he's "off to a good start."
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

thanks for the news Roanoke!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue1971 View Post
    thanks for the news Roanoke!
    You are very welcome

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Just added an article about him to the thread. Coach Nunn says he's "off to a good start."
    sounds like he is genuinly commited. Judging from his interviews he seems like the Gaints have drafted yet another player of high character as well.
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Starter
    Thank you Sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Giant View Post
    Thank you Sir!
    Enjoy.....

# 80