+ Reply to Thread

News, notes, rumors, and gossip: Wednesday, August 8, 2012

HERE NOW THE NEWS

EXCERPTS FROM EXTERNAL NEWS ARTICLES REGARDING THE NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS ARE POSTED UNDER THEIR SOURCES. MISCELLANEOUS SPORTS ARTICLES ARE POSTED UNDER THE "MISCELLANEOUS" SECTION AT THE END OF THE THREAD. LINKS FOR ALL LISTED SOURCES ARE INCLUDED TO ALLOW MEMBERS TO INDEPENDENTLY BROWSE AT THEIR LEISURE.

NEWARK STAR LEDGER

GIANTS TO SIT AT LEAST 11 PLAYERS FOR PRESEASON OPENER VS. JAGUARS

Excerpt: "Tom Coughlin has been through this enough times before - the last practice before a preseason game - that he knew what the questions were going to be before they were even asked.
    "How are we going to play? Let's see, first preseason game, let's play the starters 15 to 18 (plays) maybe," the Giants' coach said. "Play the seconds about maybe 20 to 25 and let the thirds play anywhere from the end of the third (quarter) on, maybe the top of the fourth, depending on how many snaps they get." Read more...

##

GIANTS' OSI UMENYIORA MAKE IMPRESSIVE PLAY TO INTERCEPT A SCREEN PASS IN PRACTICE

Excerpt: "The Giants' offense had fooled Osi Umenyiora on a throw-back screen pass a few times in camp, and Tom Coughlin thought they had the two-time Pro Bowl pass rusher again this afternoon.

Wrong.

Umenyiora sniffed out the play, planted and broke back toward D.J. Ware as soon as Ware released the block. Umenyiora then picked off the pass from Eli Manning, shook off Ware's tackle and ran toward the applauding fans on the hill behind the north end zone." Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

CARR-MANIA? KEEP YOUR SHIRTS ON; HE WILL PASS

Excerpt: "David Carr saw the cameras waiting for him outside of the dining hall on Wednesday, but he managed to keep his clothes on. So far the Giants’ backup quarterback has resisted any urge to go jogging shirtless in the rain.

“Well, I’ve been doing sit-ups,” Carr joked, “just in case the moment arises.”

The truth is, Carr knows that moment will never happen because this isn’t Cortland, N.Y. and he doesn’t play for the Jets. Even though Carr was once the No. 1 overall pick in the NFL draft, he didn’t get a big press conference when he first became Eli Manning’s backup. And his time with the media on Wednesday was his first interview of camp." Read more...

##

NO MORE DOUBTING, THOMAS IS BACK IN BLUE

Excerpt: "Terrell Thomas walked up to the podium at Giants camp on Wednesday without the help of crutches and without a limp. He looked like he could’ve run up if the Giants would have let him.

“I'm pretty sure I can go out there and run in practice right now,” the smiling Thomas said. “But I don't think it would be the smartest thing.”

Probably not, considering that 10 days ago the Giants feared that the 27-year-old cornerback might have suffered a career-ending injury. It took more than a week and visits to three different doctors for Thomas’ NFL life to be saved." Read more...

COACH TOM COUGHLIN, NY GIANTS STILL WAITING ON RAMSES BARDEN'S PASS CATCHING POTENTIAL

Excerpt: "The size of Ramses Barden has always been as tantalizing as his potential. He’s 6-foot-6 with long arms, seemingly perfect for the red zone. He’s raw, which made his d***ling training camp catches in past years all the more exciting.

It seems like the Giants have been waiting for big things from the 26-year-old almost since the moment they drafted him in the third round out of Division I-AA Cal Poly in 2009. Now it seems they won’t be willing to wait much more.

“It’s time,” Tom Coughlin said. “It was time last year. It’s time. The guy is going to make a mark in the league. He’s smart. He’s been around long enough. He’s been in the heat of it. You know he’s made plays. He just needs to make them more consistently.

“That’s all. I hope this is his time.” Read more...

STILL NO RESPECT? MATTHEWS DISSES CHAMPS

Excerpt: "If the Giants are looking for a slogan to put on the back of their T-shirts this summer, they might want to consider “No respect” because it’s clear by now that’s what the defending Super Bowl champs are getting. Whether it’s Jerry Jones vowing to kick their *** or people picking the Giants to finish third in the NFC East, it’s as if the Giants Super Bowl XLVI run was a mirage.

The latest shot came from Packers linebacker Clay Matthews, who was on the field in the divisional playoffs last January when the Giants spanked the Packers 37-20. He told Yahoo! Sports “We picked the most inopportune time to play our worst ball. The fact is, (the Giants) didn’t beat us, we beat ourselves.” Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK POST

GIANTS' ROOKIE WR FIGHTING FOR THE 3RD SPOT

Excerpt: "The audition before the audition is almost over for Rueben Randle.

In two days, the Giants, having gone through two weeks of training camp at that point, will open up their preseason schedule in Jacksonville. It will be the first professional game for Giants rookies, and even Randle is intrigued by how he will fare.

“I am curious,” the rookie receiver said yesterday.

Randle was the ninth wideout taken in April’s NFL Draft, going to the Giants with the last pick of the second round (63rd overall). Randle, in many ways, is the Giants’ equivalent of another Rueben — Ruben Tejada of the Mets." Read more...

GIANTS HAVE TWO UNLIKELY PLAYERS BATTLING TO BE STARTING MIDDLE LINEBACKER

Excerpt: "
    He has already been approached about turning his story into a book or a movie, the improbable tale of this particular middle linebacker emerging as a Super Bowl champion.

No doubt, the Mark Herzlich story is compelling and worth retelling but in this case it’s Chase Blackburn who has been asked to bring his wild 2011 ride to the big screen.

“Oh yeah, I’ve been approached a couple of times. I never really looked too much into it right now, I’m concentrating on football,’’ Blackburn told The Post at Giants training camp. “It’s not what I’m here to do right now. I’m here to play football and hopefully be a starting middle linebacker.’’ Read more...

IS THIS CORTLAND? MINOR SCUFFLES BREAK OUT AT GIANTS' PRACTICE

You think the Giants were going to let the Jets have all the fun this summer?

By Jets standards, the two minor scuffles that broke out during yesterday’s Giants practice were not worthy of the brawling going on in Cortland. Heck, by anyone’s standards the altercations that took place barely registered on the intensity meter.

The first “incident’’ involved cornerback Michael Coe and receiver Julian Talley and included some mild pushing and shoving. The second was a square-off between receiver Domenik Hixon and cornerback Prince Amukamara, as the two went helmet-to-helmet and appeared ready to come to blows but never did, prompting Justin Tuck to shout:

“Don’t waste the daylight if you ain’t going to fight?’’ Read more...

SITE LINK

THE BERGEN RECORD

GIANTS' TRAINING CAMP INFORMATION

SITE LINK

NEW YORK TIMES

SITE LINK

WALL STREET JOURNAL

SITE LINK

GIANTS 101

DT MARKUS KUHN IMPRESSING GIANTGS' HEAD COACH TOM COUGHLIN

Excerpt: "Things did not get off to a relatively good start for New York Giants seventh-round pick Markus Kuhn. The defensive tackle struggled with work visa issues that prevented him from taking part in rookie mini-camp or full-team mini-camp in early June, which put him behind the eight ball when it was time to report to training camp in Albany. However, with said visa issues cleared up, it hasn't taken Kuhn very long to make quite the impression on head coach Tom Coughlin. Read more...

SITE LINK

BIG BLUE VIEW

GIANTS' TRAINING CAMP: DAY 11 PRACTICE REPORT

Excerpt: "The New York Giants on Wednesday held their final practice prior to Friday's preseason opener against the Jacksonville Jaguars. There really is little to report, as the practice was little more than a glorified walk-thru as the team prepared to face the Jaguars.
    Let's run through the injury stuff." Read more...

##

GIANTS' SPECIAL TEAMS COORDINATOR TOM QUINN DISCUSSES PUNT RETURN TEAM

Excerpt: "Special teams coordinator Tom Quinn discussed the special teams situation, more specifically the punt return team.
    One player that looks like he will get a shot at returning punts this season will be Jerrel Jernigan. Quinn discusses how Jernigan has improved and impressed so far. "Jernigan’s catching the ball better, he’s getting started better," said Quinn. "He can stretch and cut and that’s a great ability to have."

As far as ball security is concerned, Quinn remembers Jernigan's struggles from last year, but feels he will be better this year mentally. "He did [struggle], but I’d hope so. It’s a physical thing as well, as far as tracking the ball better and being in a better position. I think he’s doing those things. Until you see it with a live punter and live guys coming down you really don’t know," said Quinn." Read more...

NY GIANTS' NEWS AND NOTES: MARTELLUS BENNETT, MARKUS KUHN, AND MORE

Excerpt: "Good morning, New York Giants fans! Another day, another training camp practice at UAlbany this afternoon. Here is your Wednesday morning notebook." Read more...

NY GIANTS' UNOFFICIAL DEPTH CHART: BREAKING DOWN THE DEFENSE

Excerpt: "In advance of Friday's preseason opener against the Jacksonville Jaguars the New York Giants have released an unofficial depth chart. We looked at the offensive depth chart already. Now let's see what the defense looks like." Read more...
    SITE LINK

GMENHQ

SITE LINK

YARDBARKER.COM

SITE LINK

INSIDE FOOTBALL

THE DAY AT CAMP: AUGUST 8, 2012

Excerpt: "I probably should have said something earlier, but in case you haven’t already guessed, I’ve been off for the last few days. No, nothing is wrong. Just still working my way back from last year’s tango with little ‘c’. So my apologies.
    I’m simply amazed – no make that appalled – about the story to come out of Green Bay today involving LB Clay Matthews claim that the Giants didn’t beat Green Bay in last year’s divisional playoff games, but rather the Packers beat themselves." Read more...

GIANTS LOOKING FOR ANSWERS AT TIGHT END

Excerpt: "Veteran tight ends coach Mike Pope has seen quite a bit over the course of his long NFL coaching career. But this year might be a first for the 30-year coaching veteran who entered camp with several new faces joining his meeting room.
    “We do have more new faces now then maybe we ever have,” said Pope, whose holdovers from last year include Bear Pascoe and Christian Hopkins, the latter of whom was on the team’s practice squad last year.

“It’s very rare to lose two players in one game at the end of the season like we did, so we’ve been trying very hard to replace those guys with athletes and I think we’ve been able to do that.” Read more...

##

SITE LINK

THE RED ZONE

SITE LINK

GIANTSFOOTBALLBLOG

SITE LINK

NFL.COM

GIANTS' TERRELL THOMAS COULD BENEFIT FROM NEW IR RULES

Excerpt: "New York Giants cornerback Terrell Thomas knows way more about knees than he probably wants to.
    Speaking to the media for the first time since "aggravating" his surgically repaired right anterior cruciate ligament, Thomas said Tuesday he might need anywhere from three to eight weeks before he is ready to get back on the field." Read more...

SITE LINK

SI.COM

SITE LINK

ESPN

GIANTS' TERRELL THOMAS CONFIDENT HE'LL PLAY THIS YEAR

Excerpt: "Aggravated is the best to put it," Thomas said of what happened to his knee after he slipped while trying to cover Domenik Hixon. "An ACL is so simple. It's either working or it's not. And mine is still working, so, thank God. Something happened which caused it to swell."
    Thomas says he feels no pain and there is no swelling in his knee at the moment. He will begin rehabbing his knee but has no timetable for a potential return." Read more...

JUSTIN TUCK FIRES BACK AT PACKERS

Excerpt: "Green Bay linebacker Clay Matthews says the New York Giants didn't beat his team but rather the Packers beat themselves in their playoff meeting last year.
    When told about that comment, defensive end Justin Tuck said he thanks Matthews for the gift." Read more...

STEPPIN' TO THE A.M.: PREPPING FOR JAX

Excerpt: "The Giants will go through their final practice today before heading to Jacksonville to face the Jaguars in their preseason opener on Friday.

Hopefully we will get a chance to talk to Terrell Thomas about his right knee and David Wilson about his first preseason game. Keep it locked here for updates later in the day." Read more...

SITE LINK

NBCSPORTS

SITE LINK

CBSSPORTS

SITE LINK

FOXSPORTS

SITE LINK

YAHOOSPORTS

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLWEEKLY

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLFOCUS

SITE LINK

FOOTBALLOUTSIDERS

SITE LINK

MISCELLANEOUS

NEW RULE REDUCED CONCUSSIONS ON KICKOFFS, STUDY SAYS

Changes to the NFL’s kickoff rules appear to account for a slight decline in the number of concussions reported across the league last season, according to a consulting firm’s study of injury data provided by the NFL Players Association." Read more...

##

ANDY REID RETURNING TO EAGLES WEDNESDAY FOR TEAM WALK THROUGH, ONE DAY AFTER SON'S FUNERAL

NFL NOTES: FEMALE OFFICIAL READY

FER UP REX RYAN LETS PLAYERS KNOW WHO'S IN CHARGE
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 08-08-2012 at 08:45 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

thanks Roanoke!

Osi appears in mid season form already! happy he is content.

Thanks Ro....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Starter
    Just our luck with Barden, he ends up a starter somewhere else. He looked good in that Dallas game before the ankle injury.
    Thanks RF for the news.

Excited to see Khun, Rodgers and Marvin action this friday night, lots of reps available with Canty out. Thanks RF !

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    Thanks Ro....
    My pleasure
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by Old Giant View Post
    Just our luck with Barden, he ends up a starter somewhere else. He looked good in that Dallas game before the ankle injury.
    Thanks RF for the news.
    Let's see how camp goes

Quote Originally Posted by G-Men Surg. View Post
    Excited to see Khun, Rodgers and Marvin action this friday night, lots of reps available with Canty out. Thanks RF !
    We begin to see how they all are coming along

No more doubting, Thomas is back in blue

LINK

Excerpt: "Terrell Thomas walked up to the podium at Giants camp on Wednesday without the help of crutches and without a limp. He looked like he could’ve run up if the Giants would have let him.

“I'm pretty sure I can go out there and run in practice right now,” the smiling Thomas said. “But I don't think it would be the smartest thing.”

Probably not, considering that 10 days ago the Giants feared that the 27-year-old cornerback might have suffered a career-ending injury. It took more than a week and visits to three different doctors for Thomas’ NFL life to be saved." Read more...

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    We begin to see how they all are coming along
    Adrien Tracy is gonna have a big game against Jacksonville i think.. I think hes gonna become Jerry's latest late rd success story.. Sure there are others i think will be great as well, but Tradcy's gonna be a animal for the giants.. Dudes got a great strong physique and plays with straight up beast tenacity!