+ Reply to Thread

Giants' special teams coordinator tom quinn discusses punt return team

LINK

Excerpt: "Special teams coordinator Tom Quinn discussed the special teams situation, more specifically the punt return team.

One player that looks like he will get a shot at returning punts this season will be Jerrel Jernigan. Quinn discusses how Jernigan has improved and impressed so far. "Jernigan’s catching the ball better, he’s getting started better," said Quinn. "He can stretch and cut and that’s a great ability to have."

As far as ball security is concerned, Quinn remembers Jernigan's struggles from last year, but feels he will be better this year mentally. "He did [struggle], but I’d hope so. It’s a physical thing as well, as far as tracking the ball better and being in a better position. I think he’s doing those things. Until you see it with a live punter and live guys coming down you really don’t know," said Quinn." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

He was back to return a few times in the SB, and I don't remember him fumbling. I don't know why everyone gives this guy grief based on one fumble...

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    He was back to return a few times in the SB, and I don't remember him fumbling. I don't know why everyone gives this guy grief based on one fumble...
    Actually he had like 2-3 last preseason.....he was a rookie with no ota and not much camp....but everyone assumes he should walk right on the field and be all pro or he is a bust..........I think we see a different player this year

He looked fast and sharp in the Superbowl from what I remember.

Jernigan got better as the year went on as a returner..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fansince69 View Post
    Actually he had like 2-3 last preseason.....he was a rookie with no ota and not much camp....but everyone assumes he should walk right on the field and be all pro or he is a bust..........I think we see a different player this year
    Yeah he muffed a few in pre-season and then that experiment was over. Looks like he has things fixed though so lets hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince69 View Post
    See that is the big point. A rookie with no OTA's drafted in the 3rd round is going to have a hard time adjusting. I don't get why people were giving him so much grief for some preseason problems (which amounted to essentially his first exposure to NFL play due to the shortened offseason), yet they give an absolutely terrible receiver like Barden (who outright refuses to contribute on special teams, unlike Jernigan) a free pass for 3 years...

Jernigan will get a chance, and that's all a player can ask for. The rest he has to do himself, and I'm encouraged that he very well may be quite good.

yep, by the end of the season, it looked like he could be a contributor. With his skill set, I'm excited to see how he has progressed.