+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Starter Rod-Diggity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    147

    Interesting thought on T2 injury

    i know he only aggervated the acl and has not torn it again thank goodness, but when he returns in 3-8 weeks do you think he plays more tentatively so he does run into a similar problem again. or will he be his fearless self of old, and if he does play with the fear of re-injuring how much will his play slack. how much of a negative effect will this have on the we he approaches the way he plays in the future to try and preserve his career. just an interesting thought

  2. #2
    He needs to play like a starting corner this season, or he is waived early.

  3. #3
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    12,316
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinfarmer View Post
    He needs to play like a starting corner this season, or he is waived early.
    That's not going to happen regardless of how he plays. He may get put on IR or waived after the season, but there's no way they'll cut him before the end of the season.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    That's not going to happen regardless of how he plays. He may get put on IR or waived after the season, but there's no way they'll cut him before the end of the season.
    Under the new negotiations, there is an opportunity for an IR'ed player to be reactivated. There is always that option. However, if there is a legitimate chance he can't play until late in the season or gets hurt again midseason, he may be waived as it may be in his best interests as well. He is no longer eligible for PUP so he will be just an unused roster spot throughout the season. He can become the first casualty in the even the team needs to make another emergency signing if another player goes down.

    Either way, if he plays tentative as the OP suggests, no way the Giants pick up the rest of the contract which is a far greater dent to the cap. And I absolutely love what Thomas can bring to the secondary, but it is a very hairy situation.

  5. #5
    Starter Rod-Diggity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinfarmer View Post
    And I absolutely love what Thomas can bring to the secondary, but it is a very hairy situation.
    you can say that again, a hairy situation indeed

  6. #6
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    12,316
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinfarmer View Post
    Under the new negotiations, there is an opportunity for an IR'ed player to be reactivated. There is always that option. However, if there is a legitimate chance he can't play until late in the season or gets hurt again midseason, he may be waived as it may be in his best interests as well. He is no longer eligible for PUP so he will be just an unused roster spot throughout the season. He can become the first casualty in the even the team needs to make another emergency signing if another player goes down.

    Either way, if he plays tentative as the OP suggests, no way the Giants pick up the rest of the contract which is a far greater dent to the cap. And I absolutely love what Thomas can bring to the secondary, but it is a very hairy situation.
    As it stands now, he isn't getting cut with missing up to 8 weeks. Let's say he has some minor setbacks and he doesn't return until midseason... We won't cut him then, either. If he plays tentatively, then he'll just get benched until he thinks he can play at a high level again.

    If he gets badly hurt, he gets put on IR, not cut.

    What likely happens in any of these scenarios is that the team renegotiates his contract to get rid of the roster bonus he's due. He will only get cut if the Giants don't think his knee will allow him to play at a high level again. If it's just mental, they'll keep him around, but only at a lower cost.

  7. #7
    If gets IR'ed, he gets waived. Plain and simple. There is no point in waiting until the March deadline to pick up the option. The IR is a means to preserve players with whom you intend on investing in the future, I don't think they keep him at all [even at vet's minimum] if he were to seriously injure it for the third time. But that is the most grim situation, so let's overlook that for the sake of hoping he remains successful like I'm sure we all do.

    If it's just mental, they'll keep him around, but only at a lower cost.

    Again, that is another condition where you're hoping that both sides are compliant, but if he truly is healthy but playing poorly, he's probably more likely to earn that money on another team.

  8. #8
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    12,316
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinfarmer View Post
    If gets IR'ed, he gets waived. Plain and simple. There is no point in waiting until the March deadline to pick up the option. The IR is a means to preserve players with whom you intend on investing in the future, I don't think they keep him at all [even at vet's minimum] if he were to seriously injure it for the third time. But that is the most grim situation, so let's overlook that for the sake of hoping he remains successful like I'm sure we all do.



    [/COLOR]Again, that is another condition where you're hoping that both sides are compliant, but if he truly is healthy but playing poorly, he's probably more likely to earn that money on another team.
    If he gets IRed, he'll have to renegotiate to stay. He won't get waived outright unless the team thinks that he just can't play or won't renegotiate.

    If he plays like crap this year, there's no way any team is going to give him $6m guaranteed +salary. So, he'll either take less to play here or take less to play elsewhere.

  9. #9
    He'll have to take a lot less to play here than anywhere else. This team has more important contracts to worry about [including Webster himself] in the future and are not necessarily desperate for another cornerback like others are.

  10. #10
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    12,316
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinfarmer View Post
    He'll have to take a lot less to play here than anywhere else. This team has more important contracts to worry about [including Webster himself] in the future and are not necessarily desperate for another cornerback like others are.
    But, coming off 2 ACLs and playing poorly, he wouldn't get that large of offers from anyone else either.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts