+ Reply to Thread

the numbers arguments...

i was going thru twitter today when a tweet of ESPN's matthew berry caught my eye. im usually not a fan of his because i feel like he's one of those nerds who think that numbers alone totally dictate the way we look at sports, but after reading the article I found out that if you can manipulate them in your advantage like he show's here, your "opinion" can always be seen as a fact with the numbers to back it up.

i found it pretty interesting, and note that it is about fantasy football but what is intriguing to me is the use of statistics to sway an opinion for or against any player. numbers vs. overall impact are often a topic of debate around here (*cough* toomer *cough*), and it's amazing what some people can dig up if they do their research.

worth a look:

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/fo...K2K12_100facts

Quote Originally Posted by jax5338 View Post
    i was going thru twitter today when a tweet of ESPN's matthew berry caught my eye. im usually not a fan of his because i feel like he's one of those nerds who think that numbers alone totally dictate the way we look at sports, but after reading the article I found out that if you can manipulate them in your advantage like he show's here, your "opinion" can always be seen as a fact with the numbers to back it up.

i found it pretty interesting, and note that it is about fantasy football but what is intriguing to me is the use of statistics to sway an opinion for or against any player. numbers vs. overall impact are often a topic of debate around here (*cough* toomer *cough*), and it's amazing what some people can dig up if they do their research.

worth a look:

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/fo...K2K12_100facts
    I completely agree. You can make numbers say anything you want. I get beat up for it, but I always say that I go by what I see on the field. And that makes it all a matter of opinion.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

when it comes down to it, this shows how everything is really all a matter of opinion and most of the time you can find any number of stats (no matter how obscure) to back it up. sure, numbers do mean something and are indeed a formidable reflection of how any one player/team are performing. but in this day and age we have the ability to research so many different things at the tips of our fingers that it is a nonstop debate. makes you realize why the media airs the same segments about the "top players" in the league etc. they can make one show a day for years and we will have enough info to debate anything. makes me wish i was born in simpler times...