+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The New York Giants vs the world...

...okay, not the world but the League.

As we absorb the NYGs and the League-wide sentiments about them, be it from Sports Media, Team/ Franchise or fan point-of-view; I have come away with a few thoughts.

1a) The Teams of the NFL, (NBA, MLB, NHL etc.), are not National Entities (Nations).
    1b) Therefore unlike NATO or UN politics, we have NO allies.
    1c) Therefore it's the NYG's versus 31 other teams

ergo

2) It's kind of weird for any of us to have a "2nd favorite team" because by definition, eventually our 2nd favorite team will eventually cause us to have to "choose sides."

That's not to say we can't have respect for other organizations, especially those that have been Historically classy and/or exhibit a Franchise mentality reminiscent of our own New York Football Giants. (to me, this is the Steelers, Packers, Lions for example)

So what's the point?

Maybe this is something of a rallying cry, but we should not allow ourselves to be rattled or bent out of shape because of League-wide disrespect perception. (Though, in truth the disrespect is beyond ridiculous and pisses me off, I also know that nothing less should be expected.)

But when it's all said and done, only 1 team can win a game, only 1 team can win the Lombardi.

As many of you hope, all we can ask of Big Blue is to represent us, the fans well, to play with Pride and to be All In. (again)

It's us against the League. And that's how it should be.

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

Would you guys rather the media all predict that we go 16-0 and win the Super Bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by GMENAGAIN View Post
    Would you guys rather the media all predict that we go 16-0 and win the Super Bowl?
    don't know if that's at me or in general but, my answers of course not.

Quote Originally Posted by GMENAGAIN View Post
    I'd rather the media be more consistent in who they show more respect for after and before each season. Like when the 2010 season ended, the Eagles finished the best out of the division and deserved more respect and got it. Now after the 2011 season, we won the Superbowl but...the Eagles are still getting more respect. I just ask for fairness and consistency from the media but that hasn't been around in ages so it's most likely a lost cause.

understandable but what I am trying to put out is, in some ways we the fans, are getting baited by the haters almost all the time and we take the bait.

Tuck's response was on point and well done. We should try to imitate it instead of appearing so butt-hurt over some dingbat comments from the peanut gallery of haters and rivals.

Quote Originally Posted by giantyankee1976 View Post
    ...okay, not the world but the League.

As we absorb the NYGs and the League-wide sentiments about them, be it from Sports Media, Team/ Franchise or fan point-of-view; I have come away with a few thoughts.

1a) The Teams of the NFL, (NBA, MLB, NHL etc.), are not National Entities (Nations).
    1b) Therefore unlike NATO or UN politics, we have NO allies.
    1c) Therefore it's the NYG's versus 31 other teams

ergo

2) It's kind of weird for any of us to have a "2nd favorite team" because by definition, eventually our 2nd favorite team will eventually cause us to have to "choose sides."

That's not to say we can't have respect for other organizations, especially those that have been Historically classy and/or exhibit a Franchise mentality reminiscent of our own New York Football Giants. (to me, this is the Steelers, Packers, Lions for example)

So what's the point?

Maybe this is something of a rallying cry, but we should not allow ourselves to be rattled or bent out of shape because of League-wide disrespect perception. (Though, in truth the disrespect is beyond ridiculous and pisses me off, I also know that nothing less should be expected.)

But when it's all said and done, only 1 team can win a game, only 1 team can win the Lombardi.

As many of you hope, all we can ask of Big Blue is to represent us, the fans well, to play with Pride and to be All In. (again)

It's us against the League. And that's how it should be.
    I'm with you with the Packers and Steelers, but are you calling the Lions a classy organization. They are a bunch of criminals. I believe 1/3 of the team was arrested this year. They are definately not a team I would ever root for, unless they were playing a team that affected us some how.

Quote Originally Posted by nhpgiantsfan View Post
    I'm with you with the Packers and Steelers, but are you calling the Lions a classy organization. They are a bunch of criminals. I believe 1/3 of the team was arrested this year. They are definately not a team I would ever root for, unless they were playing a team that affected us some how.
    When most people speak of an organization it has more to do with the owners and the front office and way team is run not the players.....Even the history of that team comes into play....I am still not sure I would include the lions on that list........If you want to include players in that scenario would that mean that Harrison....a true scum bag on the field makes the Steelers less of an organization?

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    I'd rather the media be more consistent in who they show more respect for after and before each season. Like when the 2010 season ended, the Eagles finished the best out of the division and deserved more respect and got it. Now after the 2011 season, we won the Superbowl but...the Eagles are still getting more respect. I just ask for fairness and consistency from the media but that hasn't been around in ages so it's most likely a lost cause.
    Why?

I'm not trying to be a wise guy . . . I just truly don't understand why anyone cares about preseason rankings by the media, which almost always turn out to be completely wrong.
    Last edited by GMENAGAIN; 08-09-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Every single thread in this forum is about how the media hates us. Jesus christ.

I bet if we went 10-6 or 11-5, the media would be on our ****s.

We went not-so-assuring 9-7 last season and we got praise by the media saying how we got hot before and in the playoffs.
    OLD USERNAME : MIKEISAGIANT
    SINCE OCTOBER 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuhgeddaboutit View Post
    Every single thread in this forum is about how the media hates us. Jesus christ.

I bet if we went 10-6 or 11-5, the media would be on our ****s.

We went not-so-assuring 9-7 last season and we got praise by the media saying how we got hot before and in the playoffs.
    How is that "praise"? Seems like a back-handed compliment to me... the "got hot at the right time" argument implies that we overachieved and our team is not really that talented...