+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

News, notes, rumors, and gossip: Friday, August 10, 2012

HERE NOW THE NEWS

EXCERPTS FROM EXTERNAL NEWS ARTICLES REGARDING THE NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS ARE POSTED UNDER THEIR SOURCES. MISCELLANEOUS SPORTS ARTICLES ARE POSTED UNDER THE "MISCELLANEOUS" SECTION AT THE END OF THE THREAD. LINKS FOR ALL LISTED SOURCES ARE INCLUDED TO ALLOW MEMBERS TO INDEPENDENTLY BROWSE AT THEIR LEISURE.

NEWARK STAR LEDGER

GIANTS' PRE-SEASON OPENER: THREE POSITIONS TO WATCH

GIANTS' RAMSES BARDEN KNOWS IT'S TIME TO TURN POTENTIAL INTO PRODUCTION

Excerpt: "In years past, there were lots of question marks in Ramses Barden’s head after a training camp practice.
    These days, he claims there are nothing but periods and definitive thoughts.
    “In your first couple of years, the first thing you do is go back to your room and say, ‘Man, what are they saying about me? Did I have a good practice? Did I have a bad practice? What do I need to do the next day?’ ” the Giants’ fourth-year wide receiver said the other day. “Now, it’s more like, ‘Well, I know what I did. I know what I saw on film, I know what I liked and what I didn’t like. I know what I want to improve on.’ ” Read more...
    SITE LINK

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

SITE LINK

NEW YORK POST

VIRGINIA TECH MATES, WILSON, HOSLEY FACE GIANT EXPECTATIONS IN PRESEASON OPENER

Excerpt: "“They brought us in because they believe we are the playmakers that we are,’’ Hosley recently told The Post. “They want to see that out there. They want to see us put it together. We’re not gonna be perfect the first game, but they want to see some improvement and that potential that we have. We got to do what got us here.’’ Read more...

BEATTY'S BACK COULD FORCE GIANTS TO USE DAVID DIEHL AT LT

Excerpt: "Following practice on Wednesday, Giants coach Tom Coughlin did not discount the possibility of David Diehl moving back to left tackle if Will Beatty’s ailing back keeps him off the field for much longer.

“There’s all kind of thoughts,’’ Coughlin said of that scenario. “If Beatty comes back next week … the idea is to get the best five out there.’’ Read more...

LINEBACKER BATTLE FIERCE FOR GIANTS

Excerpt: "
    The Giants’ competition for roster spots is fierce at several positions, none more so than at linebacker, with 10 players in training camp. Four of them — Michael Boley (hamstring), Jacquian Williams (hip), Jake Muasau (hamstring) and Clint Sintim (physically unable to perform list) — won’t play Friday night against the Jaguars. Of the six linebackers in uniform, only Mathias Kiwanuka is secure in his role.

At middle linebacker, Chase Blackburn is the starter, but Mark Herzlich is likely to receive the bulk of the playing time with the backups as he tries to push for Blackburn’s job. Former Bengal Keith Rivers is expected to start for Boley at weakside linebacker as he presses for time on the field. Greg Jones and Spencer Paysinger, entering their second seasons, might be battling for one roster spot." Read more...

SITE LINK

THE BERGEN RECORD

GIANTS AT JAGUARS: WHAT TO WATCH FOR

IS JASON PIERRE-PAUL THE NEXT LAWRENCE TAYLOR? GIANT ICON HAS HIS SAY

Excerpt: "Lawrence Taylor is envious of Jason Pierre-Paul.

Not necessarily of his freakish talent, mind you, but the company the Giants’ defensive end gets to keep in his chase of quarterbacks.
    Opponents already were game-planning about how to compensate for Pro Bowl defensive ends Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiora. Now the presence of Pierre-Paul and his combination of size and speed also is causing sleepless nights for offensive coaches.

"Let me tell you: if I was playing with those two guys [Tuck and Umenyiora], I’d have 40 sacks a year and I ain’t kidding you," Taylor wrote in an email to The Record last week. "There isn’t a discussion about this collective group. They are clearly the best in football today." Read more...

GIANTS' TRAINING CAMP INFORMATION

SITE LINK

NEW YORK TIMES

SITE LINK

WALL STREET JOURNAL

SITE LINK

GIANTS 101

GIANTS' LEGEND LAWRENCE TAYLOR ON JASON PIERRE-PAUL: "KID ID IMPRESSIVE"

Excerpt: "When asked about defensive endJason Pierre-Paul last year, New YorkGiants legend Lawrence Taylor told Giants 101 "He could be [the next LT], and god bless if he is, but I would hope I did it for a lot longer than two years." Now, after a Super Bowl championship and dominating performance leading up to, LT has changed his tune slightly, calling JPP "impressive."
    "Listen, the kid is impressive. He has everything that you would draw up for a DE: size, speed, technique — to me, those are the key attributes even more so than brute strength," Taylor wrote in an e-mail to The Record. "[But] if I was playing with those two guys [Tuck and Umenyiora], I’d have 40 sacks a year and I ain’t kidding you." Read more...

GIANTS' TOM COUGHLIN CALLS WILL HILL "QUICK, WELL CONDITIONS ATHLETE

Excerpt: "Will Hill was widely considered the top safety prospect, and second overallfootball prospect by ESPN coming out of St. Peters Preparatory High School in New Jersey. He was recruited to the Florida Gators where it appeared he had lost focus on playing football causing his production on the field to fall off greatly. After a couple of lackluster seasons, he would leave Florida early to enter the NFL Draft." Read more...

GIANTS' TIGHT ENDS COACH MIKE POPE SEES ROOM FOR HUGE IMPROVEMENT IN ADRIEN ROBINSON

Excerpt: "There was a sense of excitement when the New York Giants selected tight end Adrien Robinson with in the fourth-round of the 2012 NFL draft. His size, strength, and athleticism gave his coaches, teammates, and fans reason to believe that he can one day become a starting tight end for the Giants in the near future. General manager Jerry Reese even went as far to say he was the "JPP of tight ends."

SITE LINK

BIG BLUE VIEW

GIANTS (0-0) AT JAGUARS (0-0) PREVIEW: A CHANCE TO DO SOMETHING

Excerpt: "The New York Giants open their preseason schedule Friday night at EverBank Field against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

"The objective is always to win but it’s all about personnel," head coach Tom Coughlin said. "Hopefully we’re good enough and deep enough that the guys will get in the game and respond and enjoy themselves. I want them to play hard and give us a chance to do some evaluating and trying to figure out how people fit." Read more...
    NY GIANTS' NEWS AND NOTES: WAITING FOR THE GAME EDITION

Excerpt: "Good morning, New York Giantsfans! Here is some reading material to help you while away the hours before Friday night's preseason opener against the Jacksonville Jaguars." Read more...

SITE LINK

GMENHQ

SITE LINK

YARDBARKER.COM

BIG NIGHT FOR KEITH RIVERS

SITE LINK

INSIDE FOOTBALL

GAME PREVIEW: GIANTS AT JAGUARS

Excerpt: "It’s time for my annual pre-season reminder.
    The outcome of the next fur games does not, repeat, DOES NOT matter. The purpose of preseason games is for the coaches to evaluate individuals who are playing in a very vanilla scheme. Therefore, should one unit look sloppy, I advise you to look past that and instead focus on the individuals.
    So now that’s out of the way, let’s look at what’s at stake at each position:" Read more...
    BLOG BITS: OIL MITCH PETRUS

Excerpt: "Q: When we spoke during your rookie training camp, you were confident in your ability to block on the move at the second level. How have you done there?
    A: I was little wrong there. I didn’t have a clue about some things. I feel that I am better at it now; also, when I mess up I can look at film and see what I did wrong and what I can do to correct it." Read more...

SITE LINK

THE RED ZONE

SITE LINK

GIANTSFOOTBALLBLOG

SITE LINK

NFL.COM

SITE LINK

SI.COM

SITE LINK

ESPN

NFL TRAINING CAMPS 2012: DAVID WILSON SETTING LOFTY GOALS

Excerpt: "At some point after the New York Giants' preseason opener against the Jaguars, David Wilson will do something he does every year.

The rookie running back will create a sheet with all his goals for the upcoming season.

"The goals in there will be not easy to obtain," Wilson said." Read more...

SITE LINK

NBCSPORTS

SITE LINK

CBSSPORTS

SITE LINK

FOXSPORTS

SITE LINK

YAHOOSPORTS

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLWEEKLY

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLFOCUS

SITE LINK

FOOTBALLOUTSIDERS

SITE LINK

MISCELLANEOUS

PLAX HIGH ON SALLAS' LIST IS THERE'S AN INJURY
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 08-10-2012 at 01:43 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I wouldn't be surprised if Robinson gets playing time in the 2nd half of the season. Bennett might actually turn out to be a good acquisition, but you never know and if Robinson can get his mechanics better on the blocking-end, he might turn out to be a sleeper.
    OLD USERNAME : MIKEISAGIANT
    SINCE OCTOBER 2010.

Veteran
    Thanks bro.

G'morning everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by BeatYale View Post
    Thanks bro.

G'morning everyone.
    You are very welcome
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by Fuhgeddaboutit View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Robinson gets playing time in the 2nd half of the season. Bennett might actually turn out to be a good acquisition, but you never know and if Robinson can get his mechanics better on the blocking-end, he might turn out to be a sleeper.
    These preseason games are so important to players on the bubble

thanks Roanoke!

i hope Beatty can recover and be a force to the OL this season!

Go Giants!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue1971 View Post
    thanks Roanoke!

i hope Beatty can recover and be a force to the OL this season!

Go Giants!
    I'm with you on that

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    These preseason games are so important to players on the bubble
    Especially with the lack of practice time. I still can't get over no more 2-a-days in camp; how do you expect a team to gel without those? A player on the bubble has to come out with guns blazing in these games.

BTW does anyone know when the first cuts will be?

I 'm a little confused as to who wanted the change from the 2 a days down to 1 a day, I know its an easier work day but was it the veterans or the coaches, I doubt it was rookies or first year players because being seen on the field is the only way they have to impress the coaches . I know 2 a days is really hard but cutting down on the amount of practices gives young players less chances to make the team. It was negotiated into the CBA but who is it that really wanted it, anybody who knows please enlighten me...

thanks rf,,,,,,,,,