+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Simms vs Manning

I just wanted to get some opinions on two great Giants qb's. I know this topic is difficult to make comparisonsí, but letís have some fun anyways.
    I think it's safe to say Phil Simms is the bar that is set as to who the best qb this franchise has ever seen. I know we have had some great qb's play for us. Ex. YA Tittle, Charlie Conerly, Fran Tarkenton, I would even put Kerry Collins in the conversation. He may not have been great, but he gave us some real good years.

It's up to debate where Eli Manning is right now, 2 super bowl rings and still at the prime of his career.
    Here are the first 8 seasons of Simms and Manningís career.

Simms: 19,815 yds. 121 td's.
    Manning: 27,579 yds. 185 td's

*We have to put into the equation Simms being hurt a lot in the beginning of his career*
    *And the league has changed since Simms was playing*

So I ask my fellow fans, where do you rank Eli with Simms?

I know Eli's career is not done by a long shot, but would like to hear some opinions on these two all-time greats.

There really is nothing to talk about because it's not even close.

Cool

1- Eli Manning

2- Y.A. Tittle

3- Phil Simms

4- Fran Tarkenton

5- Hostletter
    Last edited by bigjeep; 08-10-2012 at 02:47 PM.

things are a little different in the nfl now than when Simms was playing. Simms always depended on the run as the primary mode of offense.

now i believe its pass 1st even with the Giants.

based on Eli winning two superbowls and the fact he appears physically tougher than Simms the edge has to go to him!

Hard to say because Simms faced tougher defenses and had lesser weapons to throw to. Would have been really interesting to see him in a different system...

Quote Originally Posted by primetime View Post
    I just wanted to get some opinions on two great Giants qb's. I know this topic is difficult to make comparisons’, but let’s have some fun anyways.
    I think it's safe to say Phil Simms is the bar that is set as to who the best qb this franchise has ever seen. I know we have had some great qb's play for us. Ex. YA Tittle, Charlie Conerly, Fran Tarkenton, I would even put Kerry Collins in the conversation. He may not have been great, but he gave us some real good years.

It's up to debate where Eli Manning is right now, 2 super bowl rings and still at the prime of his career.
    Here are the first 8 seasons of Simms and Manning’s career.

Simms: 19,815 yds. 121 td's.
    Manning: 27,579 yds. 185 td's

*We have to put into the equation Simms being hurt a lot in the beginning of his career*
    *And the league has changed since Simms was playing*

So I ask my fellow fans, where do you rank Eli with Simms?

I know Eli's career is not done by a long shot, but would like to hear some opinions on these two all-time greats.
    This ought to be good.
    RosieVision - Helping Giants fans see clearly since 2006

http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905

Quote Originally Posted by bigjeep View Post
    1- Eli Manning

2- Y.A. Tittle

3- Phil Simms

4- Fran Tarkington

5- ?
    Dave Brown? jk. Sorry don't know how to make it red

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue1971 View Post
    based on Eli winning two superbowls and the fact he appears physically tougher than Simms the edge has to go to him!
    I dunno about the physically tougher thing...Simms got hit a lot more than Eli in an era where QBs were not protected nearly as much as they are now...

Here we go . . . . .

I never saw YA play so for me it's Simms vs Manning.

I saw Simms play and he was really really good. He played in a very different offense. Run first and had no receivers worth mentioning. He has 3 excellent tight ends, Bavaro, Mowatt, and Cross, although Cross was more of a blocking TE. Simms didn't have to do much in terms of running the offense and wasn't in charge of the kind of things Eli is in charge of. Simms threw the most beautiful seam pass. If you don't know what that is, I can explain. Two receivers run similar patterns down field in a vertical pattern. One receiver goes deep, the other goes short. Whichever the safety goes to, you hit the other one. The pass needs to be very accurate and have a tight spiral. Simms was excellent at that pass. I can say that was the key to his success. Simms wasn't the type of QB to make dramatic come back wins because he had a defense that was world class. Simms played in an era where you could clutch and grab the WR and slow them down, and there was no problem hitting a receiver over the middle. Just ask Ronnie Lott. It was tougher to complete passes in that era. Also, Simms played against some of the best defenses on a yearly basis. Redskins, 49ers, and Bears come to mind. Buddy Ryan's 46 defense with the Eagles and Dallas wasn't to shabby either.

Eli does more with the offense and has more responsibility. He has much greater set pieces at WR and RB but an OL that isn't as good. Eli is more of a student of the game, more cerebral and analytical. He is more athletic and more clutch. He is the Derek Jeter of Quarterbacks.

Both are top notch QBs of their time. If I had to choose I'd choose Eli. Eli would not have flourished as well as today in Simms in my opinion. He would have been successful but Simms did so much more with so much less.

Who is to say who is better, both were Giant greats and legends. I'm happy they were and still are a part of this great organization. Both helped us to get and win 4 Super Bowls. Many forget that Simms took us to 10-0 that year before going down in game 13 regular season vs the Bills.

I'll never disrespect either. Both are Giant greats. That's my 2 cents.

Scoops