+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just for the record, Austin deserves more credit than perceived

It was pointed out by a few individuals that Austin was the primary reason that the Tracy FF occurred. When looking back at the highlight, this claim is 100% correct. At the snap, Austin bull rushed the opposing guard with outstanding strength as if the man was a rag doll. While this was happening, JPP and Tracy were beating the OT's with speed. Naturally, this caused the QB to step up into the pocket but he was met by Austin's bull rush, stonewalled, and then Tracy and JPP did the rest.

If it were not for Austin on that play, it might of been a play we never discuss from this game. Yes, I know he got beat several times on other plays and looked tired after awhile but what do you expect from a dude 2 years out of football? Anyway, I think he'll end up being a good situational pass rusher this year for us.

Veteran
    no i saw that and i was impressed on that play, he jumped on the snap extremely fast without causing an onside and got the initally impact and push. but after that he disappeared. i just want continuity from him i stil have faith he will be a force in the DT rotation just wasn't overall pleased with his play in that game. we got three more.

It's a situation that I think will be fixed by giving his body the appropriate amount of snaps per game to deal with. I kind of look at him as a goldfish. You don't just suddenly put him in water that is much more different in temperature. These things take time and if handled right, we get our 2011 2nd rounder to work out.

My eyes are mainly on Linval Joseph this year for the regular season. He was the best pass rushing DT in the playoffs last year and lots of friends of mine who are fans of other teams agree that he will break out for us this season.
    Last edited by TheEnigma; 08-11-2012 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Error

you know what, i keyed in on him a few times, and I liked what I saw. i was actually surprised to see him using some moves with good technique. i think his issue will get to playing strength and conditioning. he lost considerable strength as he played, and even then was still attempting club moves and rip moves, and the technique was there, the strength and burst wasnt. but i think if he can stay healthy, he can get that back and actually be a force. that fumble was in large part to the push he got. 1v1, Austin at full strength and acclimated to the game speed, will be a complete nightmare for opposing teams...

when he is up to speed, i expect to see a whole lot of snaps like that FF one...but lets also not get too ahead of ourselves, our run d was atrocious,,,

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    when he is up to speed, i expect to see a whole lot of snaps like that FF one...but lets also not get too ahead of ourselves, our run d was atrocious,,,
    I thought he was just fine.
    No one remembers who came in second.

I thought he looked mercurial. Good one moment against the pass, really bad against the run. As he gets his legs under him, it should even out, hopefully on the good side of production. Honestly, I'll be surprised if we see what he can fully offer before the season starts, and maybe for some time after that.

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    True but a lot of that has to do with the Jaguars naturally being a run heavy offense. They also have an underrated run blocking O-line and I'm sure they wanted to see how they could do in the event of not having MJD due to his holdout.

Veteran
    fact of the matter he needs toe get stonger at the point of attack, he did show hustle getting up field to help with a tackle on a run. but he was getting stuffed at the line im about to go rewatch the game now and put some more emphasis on him. he did get some double teams i know that but still gotta learn to shed blockers.

Looked ok to me. The guy is really rusty having only played a few snaps last year in preseason.

Give it time he could be a real tackling machine.

Ringing in the 2012 season!