+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    98,588

    NFL officials could remain locked out into season

    LINK

    Excerpt: "There has been much metaphorical gnashing of teeth and rending of garments in recent days because the first week of preseason games featured replacement officials. And while there were mistakes -- just like every other week in the NFL -- there was nothing so egregious that merited the league's prompt re-examination of its situation with the locked-out officials.

    In fact, the lockout could last into the first month of the regular season, according to an ESPN report. Which means that the replacements are here to stay -- at least for the next six weeks or so. But this is about more than just pay raises and pensions. There are other sticking points that appear to be holding things up." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1


  2. #2
    All-Pro Roosevelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Del Boca Vista
    Posts
    15,765
    I'm surprised no one is talking about this. Poor officiating ruins the game, and by the looks of things last game the NFL is in serious trouble.
    http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905

  3. #3
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    98,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosevelt View Post
    I'm surprised no one is talking about this. Poor officiating ruins the game, and by the looks of things last game the NFL is in serious trouble.
    I'm surpruised as well. With all of the *****ing that went on in the game day thread I expected at least a second page lol
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1


  4. #4
    All-Pro jomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    19,411
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosevelt View Post
    I'm surprised no one is talking about this. Poor officiating ruins the game, and by the looks of things last game the NFL is in serious trouble.
    You are right Rosey, it is a big deal. I read an article today in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette. The reason for the attrocious replacemnt refs is that top D1 officials all have their sights set on being an NFL official some day and don't want to get black balled by the union. That leaves us with replacement officials who are EVEN OLDER and more disoriented than some of the ones we have to deal with all year long. It will be a real problem if not resolve but I don't endorse rolling over to these zeebras who are exceedingly well paid both in salary and perks. They are not "entitled" to a piece of the pie. They should simply be well compensated for their work and be held accountable for their mistakes when they show themselves. These guys are not special and they should strive to be invisible. They should also be put out to pasture when they reach 55 years old max.
    No one remembers who came in second.

  5. #5
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    98,588
    Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    You are right Rosey, it is a big deal. I read an article today in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette. The reason for the attrocious replacemnt refs is that top D1 officials all have their sights set on being an NFL official some day and don't want to get black balled by the union. That leaves us with replacement officials who are EVEN OLDER and more disoriented than some of the ones we have to deal with all year long. It will be a real problem if not resolve but I don't endorse rolling over to these zeebras who are exceedingly well paid both in salary and perks. They are not "entitled" to a piece of the pie. They should simply be well compensated for their work and be held accountable for their mistakes when they show themselves. These guys are not special and they should strive to be invisible. They should also be put out to pasture when they reach 55 years old max.

    It's being around all that money, it was inevitable they would eventually look for their "take."
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1


  6. #6
    All-Pro tonyt830's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Greenbrier, TN
    Posts
    7,614
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    It's being around all that money, it was inevitable they would eventually look for their "take."
    And of course we know how big of a business the NFL has grown into.
    “Winning is a habit. Unfortunately so is losing.”
    -Vince Lombardi

  7. #7
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    98,588
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyt830 View Post
    And of course we know how big of a business the NFL has grown into.
    I've only watched our game so I don't know if they were all as bad as that. But if they were, and it goes into the regular season, every game is going to have a sub-plot.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1


  8. #8
    All-Pro jomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    19,411
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    It's being around all that money, it was inevitable they would eventually look for their "take."
    And this is where that needs to end. The money needs to be reserved for the players, the retired players and the owners. Well down the line we get to the concession people and on field officials. They are not part of the game. They are accessories.
    No one remembers who came in second.

  9. #9
    Will the replacement refs get it together by the start of the season? Blowing calls or blowing games because they simply don't know all the rules isn't going to sit well with the fans.

  10. #10
    All-Pro Roosevelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Del Boca Vista
    Posts
    15,765
    Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    You are right Rosey, it is a big deal. I read an article today in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette. The reason for the attrocious replacemnt refs is that top D1 officials all have their sights set on being an NFL official some day and don't want to get black balled by the union. That leaves us with replacement officials who are EVEN OLDER and more disoriented than some of the ones we have to deal with all year long. It will be a real problem if not resolve but I don't endorse rolling over to these zeebras who are exceedingly well paid both in salary and perks. They are not "entitled" to a piece of the pie. They should simply be well compensated for their work and be held accountable for their mistakes when they show themselves. These guys are not special and they should strive to be invisible. They should also be put out to pasture when they reach 55 years old max.
    Good points. The officials should put more emphasis on being invisible.

    i didn't know the situation about the replacements. I did learn though that the NFL wants them to be full time which is one of the stumbling blocks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts