+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Giants' hot topic: Sure it's sour grapes, but do they have a point?

LINK

Excerpt: "First it was star linebacker Clay Matthews saying the Packers "beat ourselves" and handed the Giants the playoff win last season. Now it's safetyDonte Whitner saying the 49ers let last season's NFC Championship "slip through our fingers."
    Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiora have been laughing it off, calling it sour grapes on the part of the Packers and 49ers players. One thing's for sure: You certainly aren't hearing anyone from the Falcons saying they handed the Giants the NFC wild-card game last season after the beatdown Big Blue delivered in that game.But what's up with Matthews and Whitner making these comments eight months later? Surely you can remember how those two games played out. If not, here's a reminder on the Packers game and here's one on the 49ers game." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Ok, we get it. We lucked our way to 2 superbowl championships. Maybe we will do it again this season.
    "It wasnt Eli's fault he threw that interception"

All-Pro
    hmmm. I always have issues with this luck stuff....
    Was it lucky that Pack's WR sucked that day or was it just poor play? Was Osi "lucky" to strip sack Rodgers AND knock the fumble away from the olineman so the Giants could recover? Was it lucky the Niners muffed two punts or was it just poor play by the return guy??
    Either way....EVERY playoff run and championship win is laced with some good bounces and luck. However it has more to do with great coaching and great playing.
    **** the rest the Giants are currently the Best!!!!
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Its is sour grapes on the Packers' and 49ers players parts. The GB game wasn't even close so Matthews should even be saying anything. And I dont understand how people thing the 49ers were playing better than the Giants that game when the Giants had more yardage, more 1st downs, better TOP, better turnover ratio and made more explosive plays.

The 49ers defense was greta that day, but so was the Giants. And that second fumble was bound to happen. It was a wet, slick field. TC rcognized this and told Ross to go down as soon as defenders were near him. 49ers gambled with that all day trying to get a big return and it blew up in their faces. That's called strategy creating luck.
    All Hail The New York Giants!!

Think back to the Eagles game that we had "won handily" except for the last 7+ minutes where we seemd to have forgotten there was a game on. Many, MANY people here, me included, lamented that we had given that game away. It's no different than what those players are saying. Of course, the passage of time should have put this on the back burner.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Regarding the 49ers game, I believe that to be a Coughlin-outcoaches-Harbaugh win. Many 49ers fans say "if we had our regular KR/PR healthy, Kyle Williams never gets on the field to make those 2 fumbles". But it came down to coaching...Coughlin, knowing that they couldn't afford a mistake, instructed the Giants' KR/PR to prioritize ball security...you could see it in the way they field kicks/punts, going down with both hands on the ball at even the nearest sign of contact. Kyle Williams, however, approached every return trying to make a big play...he did it enough times where you knew that Harbaugh likely told him to try to make a play...not a smart thing to do with your backup KR/PR in a big game like this.

Regarding the Packers game, I think that the Packers were stupid to give the game away...they should have been smarter... :-)

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Think back to the Eagles game that we had "won handily" except for the last 7+ minutes where we seemd to have forgotten there was a game on. Many, MANY people here, me included, lamented that we had given that game away. It's no different than what those players are saying. Of course, the passage of time should have put this on the back burner.
    on that same note I guess the Pack was LUCKY the Giants lost that game because that put them in playoffs and then the ultimate SB champs...
    oh yeah the Pack were 9 and 7 that season too.....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    on that same note I guess the Pack was LUCKY the Giants lost that game because that put them in playoffs and then the ultimate SB champs...
    Sometimes it's just hard to admit defeat. Being married for a LONG time, I get that

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post

Yepp. That's all that was needed to be said to /thread

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    Actually that game didn't put the packers in the playoffs. The packers crushing us 45-17 the following week put them in the playoffs. And they were 10-6 that year.