+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post News, notes, rumors, and gossip: Wednesday, August 15, 2012

HERE NOW THE NEWS

EXCERPTS FROM EXTERNAL NEWS ARTICLES REGARDING THE NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS ARE POSTED UNDER THEIR SOURCES. MISCELLANEOUS SPORTS ARTICLES ARE POSTED UNDER THE "MISCELLANEOUS" SECTION AT THE END OF THE THREAD. LINKS FOR ALL LISTED SOURCES ARE INCLUDED TO ALLOW MEMBERS TO INDEPENDENTLY BROWSE AT THEIR LEISURE.

NEWARK STAR LEDGER

GIANTS SIGN DEFENSIVE TACKLE OREN WILSON, WAIVE MARTIN PARKER

Excerpt: "The Giants signed two of the three defensive tackles they worked out on Tuesday. One of them was Carlton Powell, the other was former Michigan State and Akron lineman Oren Wilson.
    The team waived defensive tackle Martin Parker, who suffered a herniated disc in the preseason opener against the Jacksonville Jaguars." Read more...

##
    GIANTS' CHRIS CANTY SAYS HIS SURGICALLY REPAIRED KNEE IS BETTER THAN IT WAS LATE LAST SEASON

Excerpt: "Chris Canty thought he'd be back by the first week of camp, and he certainly didn't think he'd still be sidelined on the last day.
    That's exactly how it went, however, for the Giants' starting defensive tackle following major knee surgery. And with the Week 1 matchup with his former team, the Dallas Cowboys, three weeks and a day away, it's still very much unclear if Canty will be ready to go." Read more...

GIANTS' TOM COUGHLIN LAMENTS "SAD" END TO SHAUN ROGERS' SEASON

Excerpt: "As soon as the words “blood clot” are mentioned with a player, it usually means at least a few months of recovery.

Such is the case with Shaun Rogers. The Giants’ defensive tackle is out for the season with a blood clot in his calf, Tom Coughlin confirmed this afternoon after practice.
    “It’s very sad because do you know the real story?” Coughlin asked.
    Well, sort of. Rogers wouldn’t providethe full details on his weight loss.“He lost 50 pounds,” Coughlin said. “He went from, like, high 380s to 334 to check in at. He was really excited to be a part of this team, he got along really well with our defensive linemen. He actually asked to go play some more snaps the other night (in Jacksonville against the Jaguars), which I thought was really neat." Read more...
    GIANTS SIGN DEFENSIVE TACKLE CARLTON POWELL

Excerpt: "Today was a rough day for the Giants' defensive tackle corps and Tom Coughlin indicated that the team was looking to add a body. It appears as though they did this evening.
    The Giants have signed defensive tackle Carlton Powell, according to a tweet from his agent Jason Bernstein.Powell, a 2008 fifth-round draft pick of the Denver Broncos out of Virginia Tech, ruptured his Achilles tendon during the offseason before the start of his rookie year and was waived without playing a game." Read more...
    GIANTS' ELI MANNING: I'VE NEVER TRIED TO COMPETE WITH PEYTON"

Excerpt: "Although New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning has been criticized in the past for his lack of emotion on the field, nobody could ever question his attitude off of it. As a young boy growing up, he had to get used to living in the shadow if his father Archie, and then again playing second-fiddle to his older brother Peyton." Read more...

GIANTS' MARKUS KUHN TAKING ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER RIBBING FROM HIS TEAMMATES IN SRIDE

Excerpt: "Markus Kuhn is German. Arnold Schwarzenegger is Austrian.
    Doesn't matter. To his teammates, Kuhn is "The Terminator," and they've been doing the "Ahnold" accent to playfully mock him for a while now."Yeah, well, we speak the same language," the Giants' rookie defensive tackle said today of Germans and Austrians. "The funny thing (Monday) I was with Mark Herzlich at dinner and I just dropped my plate off (at the table) but I told them, 'I'll be back.'"I didn't even realize that I said it and they all started cracking up laughing and I was like, 'Wow, that wasn't even on purpose.' So that was kind of funny." Read more...
    GIANTS' PLAYERS BELIEVE THE STIFF DORM ROOM BEDS ARE CONTRIBUTING TO BACK INJURIES

Excerpt: "In the battle against a recent epidemic of back injuries, the Giants are going to the mattresses.
    Okay, so I just wanted to get in aGodfather reference. But seriously, there’s been chatter up here the dorm-room beds at UAlbany are an issue for a bunch of overgrown NFL players." Read more...
    NY GIANTS': FREE MOBIL APP FROM NJ.COM

Excerpt: "Big Blue fans, with a new season upon us, it's time to get ready for it by downloading the brand new NJ.com New York Giants football app for your iPhoneor Android." Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

HENDRICKS HAS COUGHLIN'S EYE AND A SHOT

Excerpt: "With 90 guys on the training camp roster it’s not easy for young players to get Tom Coughlin’s attention. Last Friday night in Jacksonville, Dwayne Hendricks definitely did.

The first-year defensive tackle, who spent most of last season on the Giants’ practice squad, had two sacks in the Giants’ preseason-opening loss to the Jaguars and he seemed to be having his way with Jacksonville guard D.J. Hall. It was exactly the kind of performance needed for a team suddenly besieged by injuries at that position." Read more...

PERSONAL TRAGEDIES TESTED JUSTIN TUCK IN 2011, BUT GIANTS' DEFENSIVE END SAID HE DIDN'T SERIOUSLY CONSIDER RETIREMENT

Excerpt: "The star defensive end admitted that his mind-set about football was skewed because of the emotional rollercoaster he went through, causing him to consider walking away. But he never truly thought he wouldn't continue his career." Read more...

##

GIANTS' ELI MANNING SAYS IT'S TOO EARLY FOR THE JETS TO SACK MARK SANCHEZ

Excerpt: "If you’re keeping score, Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow lead Eli Manning in the all-important magazine-cover category — they’re 2-0 in GQ covers — while Manning leads Sanchez and Tebow 1-0 in “Saturday Night Live” guest-host appearances.

Now for the most important stat: Super Bowl rings. Manning 2, Sanchez-Tebow 0.
    Although it’s fair to speculate about whether Sanchez and Tebow are more style than substance — they do like posing without their shirts on, don’t they? — Jets fans certainly hope their pair of 25-year-old quarterbacks would trade their GQ covers in a Madison Avenue minute for Manning’s Super Bowl rings." Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK POST

GIANTS' JUSTIN TUCK TALKED OUT OF RETIRING TOO SOON

Excerpt: "
    Justin Tuck’s face lights up when he begins talking about the way New York embraces its champions.

But the last parade almost passed him by.

The Giants defensive captain revealed to The Post exclusively Tuesday that at the depth of his mental/emotional despair, at a time when donning his No. 91 with only one good shoulder at his disposal wracked him with a sense of guilt he wasn’t helping his Giants, he contemplated retirement.

“After the hardships of last year, I did some soul-searching, and really had to ask myself if this is what I want,” Tuck said. “Obviously, I’m back, and I just feel kind of refreshed mentally. I think a lot of things were weighing on me last year where I couldn’t necessarily be my normal self on and off the football field. I’ve kind of put those things in the past now and moved forward.” Read more...

ROGERS' LOSS LEAVES GIANTS DEPLETED AT ONCE DEEP DT

Chris Canty wanted no part of being viewed as a trend-setter.
    “I didn’t start this, don’t put this on me,’’ he said yesterday on the final day of training camp at the University at Albany.
    Actually, Canty did start this, although he’s certainly not to blame. Canty is coming off knee surgery and arrived at camp on the Physically Unable to Perform list, a designation he has been unable to shake. He’s a starting defensive tackle, but the Giants accumulated so much depth at that position that his absence, until now, didn’t cause much of a ripple." Read more...

GIANTS' CANTY AHS WAIT AND KNEE ATTITUDE

Throughout the spring, Chris Canty expressed extreme optimism the knee surgery he underwent following the Super Bowl would not keep him out of training camp.

The Giants yesterday broke camp and yet Canty never participated and remains on the Physically Unable to Perform list.

Canty said his knee is better right now than it was in the last few months of last season, when he played through the knee issues.

At this point, though, he sounds unsure if he’ll be ready to play by the Sept. 5 regular-season opener against his former team, the Cowboys." Read more...

GIANTS' ROGERS OUT FOR SEASON WITH BLOOD CLOT

Every summer, one position experiences a rash of injuries, severely depleting the roster, even a roster expanded to 90 players. This summer, it’s the defensive line, specifically defensive tackle, that’s been hit hard.

It was revealed on Tuesday that Shaun Rogers, the veteran signed this offseason to add experience and bulk to the interior of the line, is being treated for a blood clot in his lower leg and is out for the season.

"Obviously it’s your health first, there isn’t any question about that,'' coach Tom Coughlin said. "The only way I guess they can control these things is with these blood-thinning drugs and once you do that you’re done. You can’t take a chance on some kind of bleeding that is undetected. It’s just a sad thing.''

SITE LINK

THE BERGEN RECORD

SITE LINK

NEW YORK TIMES

GIANTS' TOP DRAFT PICK SHOWS GRIT ALONG WITH SPEED

David Wilson jogged close to the sideline, his right hand gripping a ball. In that moment at Monday’s practice, Wilson could hear the fans just 10 feet away.
    “Good run, David,” one woman yelled.
    “Nice job showing off that speed,” a man shouted.
    The applause for Wilson, a running back the Giants drafted in the first round this year, came after he bounced a run to the outside. The last defender was cornerback Brandon Bing. And in a friendly play within the play, Bing made Wilson get a little more exercise by sprinting to see if he could catch Wilson before he reached the end zone. Bing could not." Read more...

##

SITE LINK

WALL STREET JOURNAL

SITE LINK

GIANTS 101

NEW YORK GIANTS NEW MOTTO: "BUILD THE BRIDGE"

Excerpt: "The New York Giants won six straight games en route to the Super Bowl … but that was last year. This is a new season, a fresh start, and head coachTom Coughlin is looking for new ways to motivate his team. One method he often utilizes is implementation of team mottos, such as "Talk is cheap, play the game," "Finish," and last year's "All In." This year the team slogan will be "Build the bridge!" Read more...

OSI UMENYIORA ON 2011 SORE LOSERS: "WE PUNCHED THEM IN THE MOUTH"

Excerpt: "Back in mid-June, Green Bay Packers head coach Mike McCarthy, still not over a 37-20 playoff loss to the New York Giants, claimed his team didn't give themselves a chance to win. He went as far as to say "you'd rather have a team beat you" than to beat yourselves. It's an opinion that was shared by linebacker Clay Matthews earlier this month, who also believed the Giants had nothing to do with the 17 point victory in Green Bay.

The trend of disrespect towards the Super Bowl champions continued late last week when San Francisco 49ers safety Dante Whitner said his team let victory slip right through their fingers. Not that they were beaten, mind you, but that they let it get away from them." Read more...

SITE LINK

BIG BLUE VIEW

AFTERNOON UPDATE: CARLTON POWELL, JASON WITTEN

All I knew about Carlton Powell when the Giants signed him on Tuesday evening was what his bio said about him. He is a 27-year-old 6-foot-2, 312-pound defensive tackle who played three games for the Atlanta Falcons last season, making one tackle. Powell was a 2008 fifth-round draft choice by the Denver Broncos, but those three games with Atlanta last season are the only ones he has ever been active for." Read more...

##

GIANTS' ADRIAN TRACY LEARNING FROM VETERANS

Sometimes when a player reaches the professional level they have to make adjustments and possibly play a new position. Adrian Tracy has certainly seen his share of that.

The New York Giants selected Tracy in the sixth round of the 2009 draft as a defensive end, but moved him to outside linebacker. After spending his rookie season injured and 2011 on the practice squad the Giants have moved him to defensive end again. As difficult as the transitions were, Tracy looks at it as a learning experience that has only made him stronger.
    "For the first time, at this highest level, it was pretty hard for me to adjust," said Tracy. "I wouldn't take anything that happened to me, these first two years, as anything bad. It was all necessary for me to build and mature and grow and hopefully I'll use that as a stepping stone, this year, to be a part of this team and be a stable on the defense." Read more...
    NY GIANTS NEWS AND NOTES: JUSTIN TUCK, MARKUS KUHN, AND MORE

Good morning,
    New York Giants
    fans! Here is your Wednesday morning New York Giants notebook." Read more...

HELP WANTED: DEFENSIVE TACKLES FOR HIRE -- CONTACT NY GIANTS

Shaun Rogers is done for the season, and maybe his career, after being diagnosed with a blood clot in his leg.Martin Parker is gone for the season with a herniated disc in his back. The New York Giants are holding their breath hoping for good news about Marvin Austin. Chris Canty is on PUP and his return does not seem likely soon.
    Coach Tom Coughlin said today that the Giants are "in the process" of bringing in at least one additional defensive tackle. Who is available?Well, the new guy is unlikely to be former Giants and St. Louis Rams tackle Fred Robbins. He is, technically, a free agent. He recently announced his retirement after 12 years in the league, however." Read more...

NY GIANTS' TRAINING CAMP: DAY 14 PRACTICE REPORT

The call of 'Bands,' from head coach Tom Coughlin came at 3:15 p.m., ending the 2012 New York GiantsTraining Camp at UAlbany. Are the Giants packing up and leaving Albany forever? Could be, but that is a subject for a different discussion.

For now, your final on-field practice report of camp." Read more...

SITE LINK

GMENHQ

SITE LINK

YARDBARKER.COM

SITE LINK

INSIDE FOOTBALL

TRAINING CAMP WRAP UP

Excerpt: "With the toot of an air horn, another summer training camp is now in the history books.

One of the obvious questions, as put to head coach Tom Coughlin, was did the team do what it set out to do?

“Not enough; I would always say that,” he said. “You get into it and you really, really do look forward to the – O.K. next day and trying to get better, especially when you play a game. When you have all these objectives ahead of you and then all of a sudden you look down and you tell your team, you know what, we’re on our 14th or 15th practice. 14th or 15th practice? We’re not even scratching the surface. We’ve got so much more to go and so much more work to do. So that’s my opinion of it.” Reaad more...

THE DAY AT CAMP: AUGUST 14, 2012

Excerpt: "As far as the headlines go, the Giants’ bed problems have nothing on the Jets’ Wild Cat practices.

While Gang Green, the Giants’ next preseason opponent, was busy generating interest after trotting out its Tim Tebow-led Wild Cat package (which everyone knew was coming, and which most people probably could have predicted would be broken out this week, behind closed doors with the Jets beat writers restricted about what they could report), the Giants have one-upped their MetLife Stadium neighbors in the headlines, albeit not in a good way." Read more...

SITE LINK

THE RED ZONE

SITE LINK

GIANTSFOOTBALLBLOG

SITE LINK

NFL.COM

SITE LINK

SI.COM

SITE LINK

ESPN

GIANTS SIGN TWO DEFENSIVE TACKLES

Excerpt: "The Giants have added two more healthy defensive tackles, signing Carlton Powell and Oren Wilson.

The team has lost Shaun Rogers for the season with a blood clot, and Marvin Austin (back) and Chris Canty (knee) are also sidelined at the moment. Austin had his back examined on Tuesday, but the Giants won't have an update on his status until Thursday. Canty is on the PUP list as he recovers from offseason knee surgery, and his status for the regular season opener is in doubt. " Read more...

##

NFL INJURIES

CANTY BETTER, BUT NOT CLEAR ON RETURN

Excerpt: "Chris Canty may not have declared himself ready for the season opener, but the Giants defensive tackle did give reason for optimism as he recovers from a knee injury.

"My knee is in better shape than it was in November, December of last season," said Canty, who is on the PUP list. "It's just a matter of making sure that we're smart, so that moving forward, everything will be fine. We'll have no setbacks; we won't have any kind of lingering issues. I think they're taking the right approach, and I have the utmost confidence in the coaches and the medical staff." Read more...

##

PRACTICE 411: NICKS SET FOR MONDAY

Excerpt: "Wide receiver Hakeem Nicks is scheduled to go through his first practice on Monday.

"Monday, I think they’re going to let him go," head coach Tom Coughlin said. "You have to go through the acclimation period."

Nicks was taken off the PUP list on Monday and will be brought along slowly but is expected to be ready for the season opener. He underwent toe surgery back in late May. " Read more...

SITE LINK

NBCSPORTS

WITTEN OUT AT LEAST FOR ALL OF PRESEASON WITH SPLEEN INJURY

Excerpt: "Cowboys owner Jerry Jones says he held his breath when tight end Jason Witten took a wicked hit from Raiders linebacker Rolando McClain on Monday night.
    Jones may not have exhaled yet.Dan Patrick strongly hinted in one of the early segments of The Dan Patrick Show that Witten may have suffered a spleen injury, and that it could be serious." Read more...
    ##

SITE LINK

CBSSPORTS

SITE LINK

FOXSPORTS

ADRIAN TRACY HAS A NEW POSITION AND A NEW NECKNAME

Excerpt: "At last, after two long years with the Giants, Adrian Tracy has found a spot on defense.He also has a new name.Meet ''Young Osi,'' the defensive end who has a lot in common with his fellow position mate, Osi Umenyiora.Tracy is a little undersized to be an end, but he has the same type of speed and explosive burst that helped make Umenyiora a two-time Pro Bowl standout and a constant threat to quarterbacks in passing situations." Read more...

##

SITE LINK

YAHOOSPORTS

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLWEEKLY

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLFOCUS

SITE LINK

FOOTBALLOUTSIDERS

SITE LINK

MISCELLANEOUS

NFL VP: EXPECT REPLACEMENT OFFICIALS TO START THE SEASON

Ray Anderson, the NFL's vice president of football operations, went straight to the point. He's one of the key people in the negotiations with locked out game officials. What he says matters.
    "At this point, I would expect the replacement officials to start the regular season," Anderson told CBSSports.com." Read more...

##

MEMBER OF NEGOTIATING TEAM: REFS NOT OPPOSED TO FULL TIME OFFICIATION

Excerpt: "A member of the negotiating team of NFL Refeeres Association, representing the locked out officials, said officials would be happy to work full-time--if they were paid like officials from Major League Baseball.
    "It's interesting that the league would decide to highlight these issues when they haven't been a central part of the negotiations to date," said the official, who asked not to be identified. "As far as working full-time, we are at every game and perform all the duties that they request from us. However, if they want to talk about paying us like the baseball guys where a 20-year veteran makes over $400,000 a year, has complete medical coverage and has a nice defined benefit retirement program, we are open to that discussion." Read more...

Last edited by RoanokeFan; 08-15-2012 at 10:45 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Veteran
    Thanks bro.

Good morning all.

thanks Roanoke!

too bad for Shuan Rogers. hope he can make a comeback if he wans to!

thanks rf........

Quote Originally Posted by BeatYale View Post
    Thanks bro.

Good morning all.
    A gracious good day to you as well
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue1971 View Post
    thanks Roanoke!

too bad for Shuan Rogers. hope he can make a comeback if he wans to!
    Every season we seem to have to make up ground

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by derekunion28 View Post
    thanks rf........
    You are very welcome

# 80

Starter
    Thanks for the news!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Giant View Post
    Thanks for the news!
    Makes us better fans

# 80

A treasure trove of Giants nuggets. Thanks RF!
    No one remembers who came in second.