+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DO WE NEED TO WIN THE DIVISION TO GET INTO PLAYOFFS?

Serious question for all you that can properly figure out these computations. What would the picture have to look like to make a wildcard spot. I know the lions and falcons have an edge.

Re: DO WE NEED TO WIN THE DIVISION TO GET INTO PLAYOFFS?

Mathematically, no, but realistically yes.

I don't think we hold the tie break over either Atlanta or Detroit. If we finish 10-6, we win the division anyway. If we finish 9-7, we could only get in if Atlanta or Detroit finish 8-8 and that can only happen if one of them lose their final 3. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on the tie-break situation.

Playing around with the playoff generator, it would take a small miracle for the Wild Card to come out of the East. Both NYG and DAL would need to win their next two along with Detroit and Chicago losing out. Even then the Seahawks, if they were to win out, would hold an advantage over us.

So it's pretty much division or go home. Speaking of the Seahawks, the loss to them at home is gonna be the loss I think about all offseason if we don't pull it off. Hopefully it doesn't come to that and we stay home to host Detroit or Atlanta.

Correct, its almost certain that Atlanta will get ONE of the two WC spots. That leaves Detroit, Chicago and NFC East second place team fighting for the last spot.

For the WC spot, we need to finish a game ahead as we lose tie breaker vs Detroit and Chicago (based on Conf record).

Minn would have helped the NFC EAST WC cause tremendously if they finished the deal yesterday in Detroit.

But, still up for grabs today.

Det has @OAK,SD then @ GB.
    Chicago has Seatle, @GB and @Minn

Detroit would need to lose all 3..Chicago 2 out of 3 in order for us to overtake them at 9-7 for final WC birth.

Minnesota got screwed on that last play too as the QB definitely had his face mask pulled by the DET lineman. SHould have been a first and goal

I will paint the senario

Right now the WC standings are:
    4: NYG(8-5)Rem opp:Was, @Nyj, DAL

5: ATL (8-5) Rem opp: Jac, @No, TB
    6: DET (8-5)Rem opp: @Oak, @Sd, @Gb

In The Hunt:

7: CHI (7-6) Sea, @GB, @MIN
    8: DAL (7-6) @TB, Phi, @NYG
    9: ARI (6-7) Cle, @Cin, Sea
    10: SEA(5-7) STL, @CHi, SF, @ARI

If we win at least the next two games and the lions (which I think they will) and the Falcons (Maybe) lose 2, we'll have one game up in the WC standings, just in case we lose to DAL the last game of the season. If they lose out, which isn't likely, depending on what CHI and the DAL does, it could be them in the WC. It's ard to figure out division and confrence record tie breakers because there are many of those games left. But here they are as of today:

Div Rec:

3-2: ARI, DET
    2-1: SEA
    2-2 ATL, CHI, DAL, NYG

CONF. Rec:

CHI: 6-3
    ATL: 6-4
    ARI, DET 6-5
    DAL: 5-4
    SEA: 4-4
    NYG:4-6

so, in that sense, they would need to lose out to tie the Giants on Conf record.

So, in all likely hood, while there is a chance, I think it's division or bust.

Bench Player

giants are 7-6....... sorry

[quote user="gfl21213"]giants are 7-6....... sorry[/quote]

Yeah, my bad

Veteran

let put it this way, it would be A LOT EASIER to just win the division.

All-Pro

Every thing about this team goes down to the wire. They will have to win next week and their last game to pick the division up and go to the playoffs unless the Cowboys and Eagles lose a couple more games.