+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bench Player

After this Sunday, Jets game is meaningless

The Jets game is now basically meaningless - unless the Giants lose to the Redskins. Even if Dallas beats Tampa AND Philly and we drop the game against the Jets, we still control our destiny by beating the Cowboys the last week of the season. Last night's game was HUGE, next week's game is HUGE, but the Jets game isn't huge.

So: if it comes down to the Jets game being completely meaningless to our playoff run - do we rest up Boley, Bradshaw, Osi, and all the other dudes who are really toughing it out right now? I know that's not TC or the Giants way, but this year has been more brutal than usual - and after we beat the Skins on Sunday, it doesn't matter one iota what happens to us in the Jets game.

On the other hand, the Skins actually looked very sharp against the Pats (game was on TV in my part of the USA) yesterday and should have won - they definitely did enough to win (that Pats defense is awful, by the way - no way they go far in AFC playoffs).

All-Pro

Re: After this Sunday, Jets game is meaningless

That game has been meaningless for weeks now.

We can still help our seeding -- if NO and SF slip (take their foot off the gas, it happens) the bye week is in the cards.

And the Jets are the #6 seed right now, we can potentially help knock them out of the picture.
    8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

[quote user="NobodyMan"]The Jets game is now basically meaningless - unless the Giants lose to the Redskins. Even if Dallas beats Tampa AND Philly and we drop the game against the Jets, we still control our destiny by beating the Cowboys the last week of the season. Last night's game was HUGE, next week's game is HUGE, but the Jets game isn't huge.

So: if it comes down to the Jets game being completely meaningless to our playoff run - do we rest up Boley, Bradshaw, Osi, and all the other dudes who are really toughing it out right now? I know that's not TC or the Giants way, but this year has been more brutal than usual - and after we beat the Skins on Sunday, it doesn't matter one iota what happens to us in the Jets game.

On the other hand, the Skins actually looked very sharp against the Pats (game was on TV in my part of the USA) yesterday and should have won - they definitely did enough to win (that Pats defense is awful, by the way - no way they go far in AFC playoffs).
    [/quote]

Wrong again.

If we beat the Jets and Washington and the Cowboy lose one or two, we could clinch the division before the Dallas game.

We actually have a chance to make the Dallas game meaningless.

Get well soon 80.

Veteran

[quote user="Morehead State"]

[quote user="NobodyMan"]The Jets game is now basically meaningless - unless the Giants lose to the Redskins.* Even if Dallas beats Tampa AND Philly and we drop the game against the Jets, we still control our destiny by beating the Cowboys the last week of the season.* Last night's game was HUGE, next week's game is HUGE, but the Jets game isn't huge.

So: if it comes down to the Jets game being completely meaningless to our playoff run - do we rest up Boley, Bradshaw, Osi, and all the other dudes who are really toughing it out right now?* I know that's not TC or the Giants way, but this year has been more brutal than usual* - and after we beat the Skins on Sunday, it doesn't matter one iota what happens to us in the Jets game.

[/quote]

Wrong again.

If we beat the Jets and Washington and the Cowboy lose one or two, we could clinch the division before the Dallas game.

[/quote]

+1. And if you want to make the argument that the redskins are an easy win I remind you of week 1 this season.

All-Pro

[quote user="SweetZombieJesus"]We can still help our seeding -- if NO and SF slip (take their foot off the gas, it happens) the bye week is in the cards.

[/quote]

Nope...

49ers and Saints are 10-3. We can get 10 wins to ties them if they lose all their games, but they still both own a tiebreaker over us by winning head to head.

Best shot we have is the division and the 4 seed.

[quote user="NY_Eli"][quote user="Morehead State"]

[quote user="NobodyMan"]The Jets game is now basically meaningless - unless the Giants lose to the Redskins. Even if Dallas beats Tampa AND Philly and we drop the game against the Jets, we still control our destiny by beating the Cowboys the last week of the season. Last night's game was HUGE, next week's game is HUGE, but the Jets game isn't huge.

[/quote]

Wrong again.

[/quote] +1. And if you want to make the argument that the redskins are an easy win I remind you of week 1 this season.[/quote]

If Dallas beats TB and loses to Philly and we win both, I believe we have the common game tie breaker. We would be even in the division and common opponents is the next tie breaker, NOT conference record.

The Jets game could very well be for the division for us.

Get well soon 80.

All-Pro

No game is meaningless, every game matters until the playoff spot is clinched. With the way the Giants have been playing, they need to have that mentality until the season is over.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

[quote user="Morehead State"][quote user="NY_Eli"][quote user="Morehead State"]

[/quote]

Wrong again.

[/quote] +1. And if you want to make the argument that the redskins are an easy win I remind you of week 1 this season.[/quote]

If Dallas beats TB and loses to Philly and we win both, I believe we have the common game tie breaker. We would be even in the division and common opponents is the next tie breaker, NOT conference record.

The Jets game could very well be for the division for us.

[/quote]

Correct.......

[quote user="Morehead State"]

[/quote]

Wrong again.

[/quote]
    This. I'd much rather not have the season riding on a Cowboy game.