+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3rd/4th and short...Pass more?

it kind of dawned on me when Hixon converted that 4th down (RF i know u loved that play and hixon earned some trust from eli there too) that we should pass more on those down and distances. our run game didnt get it done at all last season, and I cant remember a time we actually passed out of a 4th and short...
    I'd like to see that done more. those plays are so critical, I'd prefer the ball be in elis hands making the decision than Ware or really any back behind this line. the good thing is if we do it enough opposing defenses have to keep honest and it will actually make it possible to convert those with the run...

with how awful our short yardage run game was, I'm surprised we didn't pass more out of it. we started to do it more near the end of the season and playoffs...I guess bc we had BJ we thought that was a higher % of conversion?

bump. what do u guys think, go to the pass more in these situations?

Veteran
    ^......I kind of like passing more on 3rd and short; especially play action.

Of course we have to make some 3rd and shorts to make play action effective or else Eli can get hit hard.

The coaches were testing Ware for short yardage situations... that was more important than actually converting the 3rd down in a preseason game.

well were they testing Jacobs last season on all those failed conversion attempts? figured we could pass more and have a higer rate of conversion. it isnt just a preseason thing is my point...

and it would just make more sense imo. i mean the d coverage is gonna be exploitable with the focus on stopping the short yardage run. theres a whole lot of field to work with and with our wr's, esp nicks and cruz, they could turn a simple in cut into a TD...plus. by passing out of that situation more, it will open it up for the run when we go that route

The entire football universe knows that Ware is getting the shotgun draw, every time. Big problem on short yardage in my opinion. Too predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    it kind of dawned on me when Hixon converted that 4th down (RF i know u loved that play and hixon earned some trust from eli there too) that we should pass more on those down and distances. our run game didnt get it done at all last season, and I cant remember a time we actually passed out of a 4th and short...
    I'd like to see that done more. those plays are so critical, I'd prefer the ball be in elis hands making the decision than Ware or really any back behind this line. the good thing is if we do it enough opposing defenses have to keep honest and it will actually make it possible to convert those with the run...
    I'd like to see it mixed in a little bit more. But if Hixon drops that pass in a game that matters, would we still be supportive of it? Probably not. I think it makes a nice change of pace because everyone is obviously expecting a run up the middle. I doubt it works often if it is used repeatedly

Quote Originally Posted by tuck&rolle View Post
    I'd like to see it mixed in a little bit more. But if Hixon drops that pass in a game that matters, would we still be supportive of it? Probably not. I think it makes a nice change of pace because everyone is obviously expecting a run up the middle. I doubt it works often if it is used repeatedly
    I agree with you. If he drops it, that is no worse than what our running game has been doing. There is a small chance of an interception but Eli is seasoned at this point and would throw those balls well enough to make that a very low probability. There is also the chance that our receiver could break one for an easy TD since more often than not in 3rd and short or 4th and short there would be single man coverage. Actually if we show that we can pass in those situations, it might open up the running game. We need to find something different because we haven't been converting short yardage situations via the run at a high enough level for several years now. We are not going to fix that problem in the next few weeks.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    I agree with you. If he drops it, that is no worse than what our running game has been doing. There is a small chance of an interception but Eli is seasoned at this point and would throw those balls well enough to make that a very low probability. There is also the chance that our receiver could break one for an easy TD since more often than not in 3rd and short or 4th and short there would be single man coverage. Actually if we show that we can pass in those situations, it might open up the running game. We need to find something different because we haven't been converting short yardage situations via the run at a high enough level for several years now. We are not going to fix that problem in the next few weeks.
    This all stems from the predictability of the running game. The draw play is effective when used sporadically, but can't be a staple of the run game. There is no element of surprise in short-yardage situations, which is the main reason why we struggle there. You're right, if a few pass plays are successful, it may very well open up that run game.