+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do you see our WR situation shaping up?

One of the important battles of the preseason. How do you guys see it ending up? I think the long-term plan is to have Randle slide in the 3rd spot, but what about the short-term? Who makes the team and who gets cut? How many receivers do we carry?

X/Z- Nicks
    X/Z- ?
    Y- Cruz

I'm not sure if Nicks lines up as the X or the Z, but essentially we are looking for an outside receiver to fill that third spot. I think it comes down to a battle between four guys...

Randle- high-upside rookie, needs to learn the system
    Jernigan- very fast and elusive, but better suited for the slot, blocked by Cruz
    Hixon- reliable but unspectacular and prone to injury
    Barden- big and physical, but also injury-prone and can't seem to find sustained success

That leaves us with 6 WRs, but we will probably carry 7 or 8. Other considerations include:

Stanback- has shown some flashy talent, can he show consistency?
    Douglass- made some nice plays against the Jets, can he build on it?
    DePalma- haven't seen much of him but hear good things. Perhaps bound for the PS again.

I see Hixon seeing the majority of the snaps in that spot over the first few weeks of the season. Randle will be eased in and Jernigan will be given the ball in some other manner. Barden has one more season to prove he can play- he is the only one who doesn't provide help on Special Teams, which we all know is crucial to TC's system. I believe that Stanback will round out the roster, while either one or both of Douglass and DePalma make the practice squad.

Any thoughts?

GREAT QUESTION! I kind of agree with Eli with WR by committee. It really depends on the situation. I can see Hixon starting out and then Randle once he really shows them he knows what to do that job is his. Barden is in danger of being cut this season. he really has not shown me he can play at an NFL level without getting hurt. Jerrnigan has tools but has a long way to go. I'm excited about Douglas as a # 6 wide out. De Palma I hear great things about but I need to see him in game action. Stanback could make the roster as a number 5.

Starter
    I think Jernigan and Hixon will end up seeing a similar number of snaps behind Nicks and Cruz. Randle may get some looks too but probably not until later in the season.

ALL-IN!

Veteran
    I honestly don't see how Barden makes the team, he has done nothing with his opportunities and he's had a bunch. He dropped another big catch last night. Doesn't seem to bring anything to the table especially because he doesn't know how to use his size.

Bench Player
    My best bet they will eventually go with randle big body can spread the defense by going downfield and good hands I see Nixon getting some time in if and I mean if he can remain healthy and jernigan well who knows he might get some in some certain packages

we really do have such a diverse, talented group of young wr's. i think they are all 25 or younger(edit-oops forgot about hixon but what is he 26?)...amazing when you think about it. to begin the season, i think it will go:
    nicks/cruz/hixon

I believe by week 4, Randle and Hixon will be splitting snaps. By mid point of the season, I believe Randle will cement himself as the 3rd WR.

Now, that is just in terms of place on the depth chart. I also believe we will actually see a LOT of different, creative personnel packages. I think we'll see Bennett even line up out wide every now and then. While Hixon and Randle will battle for the "official" 3rd spot on the wr depth chart, I think we will see JJ, Hixon, and Barden all get opportunities throughout each game. I am really excited to see how KG uses all of these guys and how he mix and matches certain personnel packages...I'd love to see Barden, Nicks, Bennet, and Randle all in a formation. I'd like to see Cruz, JJ, and Hixon(or one of our UDFA wr's) line up in a formation...And thats on top of the deadly, amazing package with Nicks, Cruz, Bennett (and Hixon/Randle/JJ/Barden)

Opposing defenses will need to study each guy otherwise they all have the ability to do damage
    Last edited by giantsfan420; 08-19-2012 at 03:53 PM.

Depends on who emerges as the gunner, but they may very well keep one extra DB in place of an extra WR.

Quote Originally Posted by nYg24 View Post
    I honestly don't see how Barden makes the team, he has done nothing with his opportunities and he's had a bunch. He dropped another big catch last night. Doesn't seem to bring anything to the table especially because he doesn't know how to use his size.
    Agree completely! I'd rather have Stanback on the team over Barden. Jernigan gets another year to prove himself. Cruz, Nicks, Hixon and Randle are locks. I think 6 wideouts will be enough to carry. I would rather give that last spot to an extra RB or TE.

I am going to make what most of you will think is a crazy prediction...Jernigan will have at least 10-15 receptions...and at least 2 touchdowns
    "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

Quote Originally Posted by VegasGmen View Post
    Agree completely! I'd rather have Stanback on the team over Barden. Jernigan gets another year to prove himself. Cruz, Nicks, Hixon and Randle are locks. I think 6 wideouts will be enough to carry. I would rather give that last spot to an extra RB or TE.
    You've got it scoped out pretty well.
    No one remembers who came in second.