+ Reply to Thread

I know a guy who scouted Eli: this is what he said way back when..

I have a patient who was a scout for the Miami Dolphins (parents live in our town) and I see him every couple years when he's up here visiting for the holidays. He scouted Eli (as all scouts do for all teams) and we had a discussion about the pick way back then- I was distraught that after he finally started playing he flat out STUNK. I was concerned we blew our load on a worthless QB. I will never forget him telling me that "Eli will be a great NFL quarterback. He has a better long ball than Peyton does, and he has more aptitude for the game than people give him credit for. He will have more longevity than his brother because he's more mobile. His arm is stronger than folks think." There were other tidbits in there such as "You'll get a Superbowl under him or go far with him" and "he is just a nice kid." I thought he was full of hot air. But now all these years later he might just be right. It is FASCINATING talking to him every couple years, and I try not to waste his time during his examination. What's really fun is hearing how much DETAIL they put into scouting, little things like hand grip strength, arm length to height ratios, geometry of their bodies and even shoe size and neck length. Turns out the Dolphins couldn't get Eli and had more pressing needs, but all the teams looking at him back then assumed he'd go very, very high in the draft and Accorsi was a genius in what he did. I know, it's hindsight, but fun to hear it from a guy who is a pro scout. He now scouts for college as an "independent" contractor of sorts. Sadly, I don't see him on my schedule yet this year.
    Just when I don't think it can get any worse, I think of you Ray Handjob. I have been to the abyss....thank you for helping me stay positive.

Re: I know a guy who scouted Eli: this is what he said way back when..

people don't consider the real complexity of scouting at all.

ben rothlesburger can't seem to handle the pressure of college girls let alone the blinding lights of the NY sports media.

or Rivers who has incredible stats every season but is hit and miss in games that really matter.

given what new york is like, there's no better fit than eli.

All-Pro

sounds just like me doesn't it cdn

[quote user="CDN_G-FAN"]

people don't consider the real complexity of scouting at all.

ben rothlesburger can't seem to handle the pressure of college girls let alone the blinding lights of the NY sports media.

or Rivers who has incredible stats every season but is hit and miss in games that really matter.

given what new york is like, there's no better fit than eli.

[/quote]

Yeah, it's pretty amazing. He said they'll take these kids in college, put them through their paces and benchmark them, then if they have a specific need they'll "grow" them into that position through strength and conditioning and training. Sometimes a guy who wants to be a LB has better attributes to DE and they grow him into that if his body fits the parameters. He worked with Syracuse the last couple years, and they use nutritionists and eating plans to get them to where they want them to be. It's all very different than a generation ago.
    Just when I don't think it can get any worse, I think of you Ray Handjob. I have been to the abyss....thank you for helping me stay positive.

Banned

If people had any doubts about Eli coming out of college then they obviously ignored everything that happened during his college years, considering where he played...and it didn't take a pro scout to realize that the kid was special. Beating teams like Florida and LSU during his college career, more than once, and getting a very average team to bowl games, had to give you and idea of how he had the ability to make people around him play at a higher level.

[quote user="nygfanmaybe"]

If people had any doubts about Eli coming out of college then they obviously ignored everything that happened during his college years, considering where he played...and it didn't take a pro scout to realize that the kid was special.* Beating teams like Florida and LSU during his college career, more than once, and getting a very average team to bowl games, had to give you and idea of how he had the ability to make people around him play at a higher level.

[/quote]

No question the guy was an animal in College if you look at his numbers and look at the fact that none of us can name 1 offensive weapon he had that went on to make any noise in the NFL its clear that he was supposed to go number 1. He had a career passer rating of something like 135 at Ole Miss. Seriously

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

Veteran

[quote user="BigBlueOnes"]I have a patient who was a scout for the Miami Dolphins (parents live in our town) and I see him every couple years when he's up here visiting for the holidays. He scouted Eli (as all scouts do for all teams) and we had a discussion about the pick way back then- I was distraught that after he finally started playing he flat out STUNK. I was concerned we blew our load on a worthless QB. I will never forget him telling me that "Eli will be a great NFL quarterback. He has a better long ball than Peyton does, and he has more aptitude for the game than people give him credit for. He will have more longevity than his brother because he's more mobile. His arm is stronger than folks think." There were other tidbits in there such as "You'll get a Superbowl under him or go far with him" and "he is just a nice kid." I thought he was full of hot air. But now all these years later he might just be right. It is FASCINATING talking to him every couple years, and I try not to waste his time during his examination. What's really fun is hearing how much DETAIL they put into scouting, little things like hand grip strength, arm length to height ratios, geometry of their bodies and even shoe size and neck length. Turns out the Dolphins couldn't get Eli and had more pressing needs, but all the teams looking at him back then assumed he'd go very, very high in the draft and Accorsi was a genius in what he did. I know, it's hindsight, but fun to hear it from a guy who is a pro scout. He now scouts for college as an "independent" contractor of sorts. Sadly, I don't see him on my schedule yet this year.[/quote]

Man I have to get my PhD so I can tell cool inside stories like this lol

Awesome read, I'd recommend the GM too. The way Accorsi scouted Eli was pretty incredible too.