My take on the defense.

There seem to be several factors at work with respect to the defense:

1-Injuries
    2-Communication
    3-Talent
    4-Effort
    5-Schemes
    6-Opponents

Fewell can’t pick who is healthy and who is on IR.

The communication issues are the fault of the players…..I saw at least 2 TDs that were the result of busted zone assignments.

The talent is on Reese – outside of Boley, he has completely failed to upgrade the LB unit….just ask Denver how they are liking Vonn Miller. Granted, Vonn Miller was long gone in the draft....I'm just pointing out the "instant upgrade" a quality linebacker can bring to the defense.

The effort is on the players. There's no reason that JPP seems to be the only guy hustling at times. This was more a case in the NO game than the last two. I'm just saying it was a big issue against Seattle, Philly, and NO.

The schemes are all Fewell...more on that below.

The opponents are just a result of Green Bay and the Saints somehow finishing #2 last year.

My take: It’s not all on Fewell, but a lot of it is. In particular, he continues to rely on the Tampa-2, despite the fact that a) his secondary was signed/drafted for their strength in man coverage, and b) he utterly lacks the Briggs/Urlacher linebacker prototype necessary to make the Tampa-2 most effective. I’m sorry, Perry, but Deon Grant is not a substitute for a good linebacker.

It’s easy to say “they need to blitz more”… I understand that brings its own set of problems. However, when the zone is getting repeatedly abused, and when the defense is literally in the basement on all defensive rankings, how can you justify staying with a scheme that not only gives up points, but looks to be demoralizing your team?

Again, I’m just a fan, and who knows what a 100% healthy defense looks like against a normal schedule? But this defense needs to get a lot more aggressive….because their current approach is an abject failure, and they have a guy named Eli Manning who is used to bailing them out game after game.

Re: My take on the defense.

So in other words it's everyone's fault?

I can get behind that.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Veteran

[quote user="Kruunch"]So in other words it's everyone's fault?

I can get behind that.[/quote]

In a way....I'm just trying to figure out to what extent each variable is impacting the team.

For comparison, look at the offensive line and the running game. For most of the year, it has struggled, and now, seems to have found some success after moving Diehl outside, and plugging Petrus and Boothe inside.

I wonder to what extent Fewell can work with what he has to improve the unit. And i wonder how much the schedule is playing into it, etc., etc.

Completely disagree with the Von miller thing. Miller is a once in a decade player... Can't blame the giants GM for not getting a player like that when he had no opportunity.

Bring up a mid round LB that the giants had a shot at if you want to make that argument.

As for Fewells reliance on zone... The CBs have not been playing well enough in man coverage

So the strength is man coverage someone should tell that to Aaron Ross saw him get beat for a TD in man. Then on 3rd and 5 Romo could of iced the game had he hit Austin that was Man coverage. Prince Amukumara was beat for 74 yards in man coverage. The Tight end Jon Phillips scored a TD in Man coverage. Its not one particular defensive style or coverage they get beat in everything Fewell throws out there. There is a whole combination of problems going on injuries,lack of talent, effort.

[quote user="slipknottin"]Completely disagree with the Von miller thing. Miller is a once in a decade player... Can't blame the giants GM for not getting a player like that when he had no opportunity. Bring up a mid round LB that the giants had a shot at if you want to make that argument. As for Fewells reliance on zone... The CBs have not been playing well enough in man coverage[/quote]Your right .People keep saying man coverage. Every time I see man coverage I see WR's getting behind the CB's for big plays.At least in Zone the ball is in front of them.Webster is the only one that doesnt get smoked in man coverage

At least with Heavy zone schemes u get turnovers.QB's miss a guy and u get an interception

All-Pro

[quote user="JMFP2"]There seem to be several factors at work with respect to the defense: 1-Injuries 2-Communication 3-Talent 4-Effort 5-Schemes 6-Opponents Fewell can’t pick who is healthy and who is on IR. The communication issues are the fault of the players…..I saw at least 2 TDs that were the result of busted zone assignments. The talent is on Reese – outside of Boley, he has completely failed to upgrade the LB unit….just ask Denver how they are liking Vonn Miller. Granted, Vonn Miller was long gone in the draft....I'm just pointing out the "instant upgrade" a quality linebacker can bring to the defense. The effort is on the players. There's no reason that JPP seems to be the only guy hustling at times. This was more a case in the NO game than the last two. I'm just saying it was a big issue against Seattle, Philly, and NO. The schemes are all Fewell...more on that below. The opponents are just a result of Green Bay and the Saints somehow finishing #2 last year. My take: It’s not all on Fewell, but a lot of it is. In particular, he continues to rely on the Tampa-2, despite the fact that a) his secondary was signed/drafted for their strength in man coverage, and b) he utterly lacks the Briggs/Urlacher linebacker prototype necessary to make the Tampa-2 most effective. I’m sorry, Perry, but Deon Grant is not a substitute for a good linebacker. It’s easy to say “they need to blitz more”… I understand that brings its own set of problems. However, when the zone is getting repeatedly abused, and when the defense is literally in the basement on all defensive rankings, how can you justify staying with a scheme that not only gives up points, but looks to be demoralizing your team? Again, I’m just a fan, and who knows what a 100% healthy defense looks like against a normal schedule? But this defense needs to get a lot more aggressive….because their current approach is an abject failure, and they have a guy named Eli Manning who is used to bailing them out game after game.[/quote]

Talent?!!!, Again i dare you to find me a defense with more collective individual talent then we do. Try it and you might learn something.

This isn't madden. Name me a defense with no holes. There will be none. Name me a team that has done nothing to address a position of "need". There will be many. Not enough money to go around trying to address EVERYTHING. Be glad you're only crying about one position.

I agree with redeye, it's not so much the type of coverage man vs zone, it doesn't matter which you play if there isn't a pass rush.

We need more pressure on the QB from out front 4. Blitxing HAS NOT worked for us at all. Fewell needs to scheme more twists and stunts into our pass rush. It's way too easy for the OL to zero in and just focus on blocking the guy lined up in front of him. It worked very well for us last year, don't know why we've gone away from it.
    All Hail The New York Giants!!

All-Pro

In another thread you dismiss injuries as an excuse. It say they have enough talent. Ross might not have made the team if it where not for so many injuries and he is their #2 CB. Prince is talented but broke his foot so that's another injury that can not be discounted. They had a guy at MLB who was looking in pre season. Well they lost Goff and no matter how much I like Williams he is just a rookie. Tuck has been hurt all year and Osi has been in and out of the line up.

Healthy they has lots of talent and PF did better with them last year. They are not healthy and it shows. That's why they are counting on guys who not even on NFL rosters this a week or two ago. Injuries have put this defense in very ba shape.