+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Giants vs Bears: What we learned about the offense

LINK

Excerpt: "Save for the offensive line, there aren't many question marks about the New York Giants offense going into the 2012 regular season. However, that doesn't mean there aren't things to be learned, and that certainly proved to be the case on Friday night against the Chicago Bears. Several future stars flashed their stuff when given an opportunity, while other veterans proved there may still be some gas left in the tank." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I am concerned about the OL, both for interior line run blocking, as well as LG pass protection of Eli. Having said that, assuming both Bradshaw and Nicks come back healthy by Opening Day, the offense is sufficiently loaded and balanced to keep any defense from focusing on just one or two guys. Also, IMO (or at least what I'm hoping), I think we are intentionally holding back use of M.Bennett in preseason games so as not to give away our play book prior to opening up against the Cowboys. I think we're going to be using the TE much more this season as a red zone target; especially with opposing team placing so much attention (in such situations) on Nicks and Barden/Randle doing fade routs toward the corners of the end zone.

The Giants seemed to have Wilson cutting back more than we're used to seeing from the team and we suppose that has something to do with utilizing Wilson's speed.
    -from the article

I've been saying for weeks now that Wilsons and Bradshaws running style will help the OL out some. Their stop and go ability and cutback quickness can set up lil alleys and creases by itself. I expect the run game to get back on track.

Also, I've been saying Lockler will improve the LT spot from where it was last season. He has more lateral ability than DD, which showed vs Peppers. DD can't handle speed rushes as well as Lockler.

To the comment about not giving away how we're gonna use bennett, i'd agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    The Giants seemed to have Wilson cutting back more than we're used to seeing from the team and we suppose that has something to do with utilizing Wilson's speed.
    -from the article

I've been saying for weeks now that Wilsons and Bradshaws running style will help the OL out some. Their stop and go ability and cutback quickness can set up lil alleys and creases by itself. I expect the run game to get back on track.

Also, I've been saying Lockler will improve the LT spot from where it was last season. He has more lateral ability than DD, which showed vs Peppers. DD can't handle speed rushes as well as Lockler.

To the comment about not giving away how we're gonna use bennett, i'd agree with that.

I think Martellus Bennett is going to be this season's wonder player
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

The most evident thing to me is we seem to be trying to establish an outside run game again. Last year we were terrible running outside the tackle in part because our tackle play was poor but also because our TE seal blocking was dreadful. This week, Bennett actually had a couple 1 on 1 blocks on peppers were he took him out of the play. We havent had that in a while.

In 2007 and 2008 we ran the ball outside more then any team in the NFL. It is fair to say we were the best team in the NFL over those 2 years. In 2009, the Saints became the league leader in # of rushing plays outside.

I have said multiple times that I think it was the primary offseason focus of the front office to acquire the necessary talent to reestablish our inside - outside running game that helped take the pressure off Eli so well in 2007-2008. Wilson was easily the best open field running back and Bennet is known for his blocking on the edge. So far, we have seen both players do exactly what I thought they were brought in to do.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I think Martellus Bennett is going to be this season's wonder player
    my sig on the old board was bennett as my offseason top priority...i think he can be DOMINANT in both the run and pass game.

Starter
    He was rated the number one blocking TE.
    No longer living in Witten's shadow and just a year "show me" contract, I agree he could be a monster.

Bench Player
    Bennett is likely going to be a stud on this team. His physical attributes are fantastic and he is a gem of a guy. They are not holding him back at all, he is making catches every game and you will see that trend continue. The OL will be a work in progress, they have kept DD at right during the preseason in hopes that Beatty gets back, however, look for him to switch back to left with Locklear moving to right if he does not. Locklear is a capable replacement at either side but knows RT much better as that is what he has played. if the group can get in sync then the running game has a potential to reestablish itself as one of the better ones in the league. If they don't then the running game will struggle.
    In the oddest instance in NFL history Eli demonstrated the ability last season to overcome an awful and inconsistant running attack and lead this team to a championship. That can not happen twice. The ground game needs to improve and become consistant for the team to succeed. If it does the offense has a chance to be on of the best in the league with what could be the most dangerous air attack in recent memory.
    But this is what makes it fun to watch, see how things unfold.

I agree that the 'Black Unicorn' may have a solid season. The fact that he is playing on a very balanced offense should help him the most. This potentially could be the most dynamic passing attack in giants history with Eli being in his prime and all. As great as that sounds, I am confident that Gilbride will not let that happen because he likes to open up the pass game by running. Let's see what the o-line can do because they look way too inconsistent with the run blocking.

Bench Player
    Last season was by far the most dynamic passing attack in team history, by about 900 yards, lol. This season does indeed have a chance to be even better, even if the numbers are not as good if the running game improves.