+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Focus

Starter

Focus

Everyone knows we are getting thin at CB, and this may change of course, but let's say we stay thin there (talent wise anyway). Do you think the team is getting stacked enough on offense to have a focus of scoring a lot of points to offset a potentially porous secondary? I think we all hope for the best and that the D line and secondary will be strong enough (maybe stronger?) but if they are not, will Gilbride call games to take advantage of our scoring potential to make up for a lackluster coverage ability?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
    Everyone knows we are getting thin at CB, and this may change of course, but let's say we stay thin there (talent wise anyway). Do you think the team is getting stacked enough on offense to have a focus of scoring a lot of points to offset a potentially porous secondary? I think we all hope for the best and that the D line and secondary will be strong enough (maybe stronger?) but if they are not, will Gilbride call games to take advantage of our scoring potential to make up for a lackluster coverage ability?
    If the rest of the defense is good enough you can coverup a weaker corner back (within reason of course)....The 86 team did it with Elvis"toast" Paterson.....It will be more difficult in today's game because it is a more explosive type game today.
    1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

Starter
    That's what I was wondering. With the pass first league we have now it is much more difficult, I think. Maybe the two starters will be ok, depending on who we have (Coe maybe?) but when we go to a dime package...yikes!

Packers tried to mask their inept defense with a high scoring offense, and it worked for the most part because Rodgers and Co. were just that good, but once they ran into a team that has an offense that can shoot it out with them, and a defense that can get to the QB it was their kryptonite (that kryptonite being the reigning World Champion New York Football Giants )

Let's put the women and children to bed and go lookin' for dinner

Starter
    I agree, but we also had better defensive play at that point I would say. If we had equally awful defenses perhaps it would have been more even...but what do you think? Do we try and mask our defensive backfield if it proves to be a problem by scoring as much as possible or do we stay on a very balanced attack as we have been known for doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz4Life View Post
    Packers tried to mask their inept defense with a high scoring offense, and it worked for the most part because Rodgers and Co. were just that good, but once they ran into a team that has an offense that can shoot it out with them, and a defense that can get to the QB it was their kryptonite (that kryptonite being the reigning World Champion New York Football Giants )
    good point,but I wouldn't call our defense inept...just weak at possibly one position
    1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

Quote Originally Posted by fansince69 View Post
    good point,but I wouldn't call our defense inept...just weak at possibly one position
    No neither would I. We are going to be a good defense. I was just referring to the Packers as a team with a high-powered offense and a bad defense. Our defense is going to be fine. The depth at CB is worrisome much like last year, and DT obviously we have some injury concerns, but you gotta trust Reese and Coughlin's ability to bring together a worthy roster.

Let's put the women and children to bed and go lookin' for dinner

Starter
    Man I would love to find out our CB position is the breakout surprise of the year!

I don't think an offense can outrun their own bad defense. We have an excellent defense so I think a better question is, can the rest of our defense hide the weakness at CB? Can the DL put on enough pressure so that an ordinary corner only has to hold coverage for 3 seconds not 7 seconds.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Starter
    Would that mean selling out for the QB? If so, would that hurt against the run?