+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

OFFICIAL: Roster Trimmed to 75 Players

The Giants this morning pared 15 players from their roster to reach the NFL’s roster limit of 75 players.

Two veterans who had offseason knee surgery and have yet to practice this summer, defensive tackle Chris Canty and tight end Travis Beckum, were placed on the reserve/physically unable to perform list. They will miss at least the first six games of the season.

Offensive lineman Brandon Mosley, the second of the Giants’ two fourth-round draft choices this year, was placed on season-ending injured reserve with an ankle injury.

The Giants terminated the contract of five-year veteran cornerback Antwaun Molden, whom they signed on April 16. Molden played for New England last year.

The team also waived 11 players, including three with NFL experience: tight end Ryan Purvis, defensive tackle Carlton Powell and defensive back Chris Horton. Also waived were wide receivers Julian Talley and Brandon Collins, tight end Christian Hopkins, defensive backs Brandon Bing and Jojo Nicolas, running back Joe Martinek, tackle Joel Reinders and defensive tackle Oren Wilson.

READ MORE:
    http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Giants-trim-roster-to-75-players/4c72b8d8-879c-449b-a8ba-9a09667d3f03

IR (Season Ending)

OL Brandon Mosley

PUP
    DT Chris Canty
    TE Travis Beckum

Terminated:
    DB Antwaun Molden

Waived
    Offense:
    RB Joe Martinek
    T Joel Reinders
    TE Ryan Purvis
    TE Christian Hopkins
    WR Julian Talley
    WR Brandon Collins

Defense:
    DT Oren Wilson
    DT Carlton Powell
    DB Chris Horten
    DB Brandon Bing
    DB Jojo Nicolas
    Last edited by GiantsDigital; 08-27-2012 at 12:00 PM.
    --
    Giants.com
    twitter.com/giants
    facebook.com/nygiants

No surprise there on the waivers.

whats the difference between getting waived and contract terminated?

Anyone surprised that molden got out ? Our cb is pretty thin thought they would keep all the cbs they can

Quote Originally Posted by giants8493 View Post
    this i want this answered

Could it possibly just be semantics? Did we pay Molden a workout bonus when he signed or something? That might explain the difference in language.

I hate philthy. The teams, their fans, the city. I don't really mind the cowgurls, they're so dysfunctional I almost pity them. And the foreskins are just an afterthought.

Quote Originally Posted by giants8493 View Post
    When a player is waived, they go onto the waiver wire where another team can claim them. If they are claimed, the contract they had with their prior team goes with them.

When a player is terminated, they are immediately a free agent and can negotiate a new contract with any team. More often, players are terminated after coming off of an injury or if they over 4 years of experience in the NFL (which Molden does and the rest don't).

Thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by mattpl908 View Post
    Anyone surprised that molden got out ? Our cb is pretty thin thought they would keep all the cbs they can
    Did you see what Nicks did to him in the SB? I cringed the day I heard the Giants brought him in...wasn't expecting much at all and really not surprised at all he didn't make the cut.

Thanks for clearing that up, Overdrive.

I hate philthy. The teams, their fans, the city. I don't really mind the cowgurls, they're so dysfunctional I almost pity them. And the foreskins are just an afterthought.