+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

News, notes, rumors, and gossip: Monday, August 27, 2012

HERE NOW THE NEWS

EXCERPTS FROM EXTERNAL NEWS ARTICLES REGARDING THE NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS ARE POSTED UNDER THEIR SOURCES. MISCELLANEOUS SPORTS ARTICLES ARE POSTED UNDER THE "MISCELLANEOUS" SECTION AT THE END OF THE THREAD. LINKS FOR ALL LISTED SOURCES ARE INCLUDED TO ALLOW MEMBERS TO INDEPENDENTLY BROWSE AT THEIR LEISURE.

NEWARK STAR LEDGER.

JAYRON HOSLEY CONFIDENT HE'LL BE READY FOR SEASON OPENER

Excerpt: "Yesterday, Jayron Hosley was out of his walking boot for the first time since injuring his toe against the New York Jets in the Giants' second preseason game. Today, he was back to running for the first time.

Hosley was diagnosed with turf toe, a painful injury that can potentially hamper him throughout the season, did some running and backpedaling out in the rain while his teammates were inside practicing. There's still some pain, but the rookie cornerback has seen and felt progress.
    "It's definitely getting better," Hosley said. "The soreness went down a lot. Now I'm just trying to find a good move for my foot as far as cleats and things like that. I think I'll be good." Read more...

GIANTS' HAKEEM NICKS EXPECTING TO PLAY IN LAST PRESEASON GAME

Excerpt: ""Yeah, as of right now, I was told I’m going to take some snaps," said Nicks, who was activated off the physically unable to perform list two weeks ago after recovering from a broken foot. "But if they decide to change, I’m sure they’ll let me know. Whatever decision they make, I’ll roll with it."
    Nicks has looked good in practicesince his return last Monday. On Sunday, though, he caught a hook route in front of cornerback Michael Coe, pivoted and took off into the secondary with explosion he hadn't shown in his first few practices." Read more...
    ##

GIANTS' ROOKIE ADEWALE OJOMO TURNING HEADS WITH SACKS

Excerpt: "Rookies, especially undrafted ones, tend to be a bit understated this time of year.
    Not Adewale Ojomo, he of the three sacks in the past two preseason games.“I wouldn’t say surprised. I just believe in myself, believe in the coaching I get from (defensive line) coach Robert Nunn and what these guys are teaching me,” the Giants’ defensive end said yesterday when asked about his production. “I wouldn’t be surprised if I went out and had a couple more sacks this week.” Read more...

GIANTS' PRINCE AMUKAMARA HOPES ANKLE HEALS IN TIME FOR OPENER

Excerpt: "Prince Amukamara realizes his leaving the field on a cart after suffering a high-ankle sprain on Friday was a bit “dramatic.”
    Of course, at that time, Amukamara was thinking some dramatic thoughts.“I just felt something poking out the side of my leg,” the Giants’ cornerback said today in his first session with reporters since getting hurt against the Bears. “And I definitely had a flashback of (breaking) my fifth metatarsal from last season so I didn’t know what was going on.” Read more...
    GIANTS' CHRIS CANTY, TRAVIS BECKUM PLACED ON RESERVE PUP

Excerpt: "In news that's big, though not surprising in the least bit, Giantsdefensive tackle Chris Canty and tight end Travis Beckum have been placed on the reserve/physically-unable-to-perform list.

Both players, who are coming off knee surgeries, began training camp on the active/PUP list, which means they counted against the 90-man roster. Now, they won't count against the 75-man roster, a limit they needed to meet today by 4 p.m." Read more...
    GIANTS' TYLER SASH CARTED OFF FIELD WITH ANKLE INJURY

Excerpt: "Another day and another injury concern for the Giants secondary.
    Safety Tyler Sash was carted off the practice field today, unable to put any weight on his right leg. On Friday, cornerback Prince Amukamara sprained his right ankle and was wearing a walking boot today.""His ankle locked up is what they said to me," Tom Coughlin said after the practice. "Otherwise I have no idea." Read more...
    GIANTS' DAVID DOUGLAS IMPRESSES DESPITE STAT LINE

Excerpt: "David Douglas was told he would be the punt returner Friday night against the Chicago Bears early in the week. And he took advantage.After he was unable to get much of anything going on his first three tries, Douglas erupted for a 36-yard return only to have it negated by a holding penalty and join best friend Nick Foles, the former University of Arizona quarterback currently backing up Michael Vick, as a rookie making an impact in the preseason." Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

GIANTS' PRINCE AMUKAMARASAYS ANKLE INJURY IS "MILD", VOWS TO RETURN TO THE FIELD SOON

Excerpt: "There's an old saying in NFL locker rooms, one that refers to the challenges that injured players face when they try to make a roster. And Giants cornerback Prince Amukamara couldn’t help quoting it Sunday morning.

“I know the saying is you can’t make the club in a tub,” he said. “So I’ve been in the tub pretty often.”
    Read more...

GIANTS' HAKEEM NICKS TRYING YO TALK HIS WAY INTO THE LAST PRESEASON GAME

Excerpt: "Hakeem Nicks says he wants to get a little bit of preseason action to test his injured foot in a real game. And the Giants have just one preseason game left.

So it all comes down to Monday for the Giants’ star wideout. The team’s final practice of the preseason will determine whether Nicks plays in Wednesday’s preseason finale against the New England Patriots.

“We’ve got another practice to go, and then we’ll make a call on that,” Coughlin said Sunday.
    ' Read more...

SITE LINK

THE NEW YORK POST.

KNEE ISSUE ISN'T SWELL WITH OSI UMENYIORA

Excerpt: "
    Osi Umenyiora disconcertingly missed practice yesterday with the Giants, as the pass rushing defensive end was dealing with a swollen right knee.

“Osi’s got some swelling and so we shut him down,” coach Tom Coughlin said. “It’s more precautionary than anything. He’s practiced every practice.”

Umenyiora has had surgery on both knees, undergoing a procedure on his right knee last year and his left knee in 2008. His fellow defensive end, Jason Pierre-Paul, also missed practice again yesterday with back spasms, but Coughlin said he was improving.

* Cornerback Jayron Hosley (toe) had his boot removed but did not practice, while left tackle Will Beatty (back) “did some things,” according to Coughlin. Guard Chris Snee (leg), linebackers Michael Boley (hamstring) and Mathias Kiwanuka (groin) and wide receiver Jerrel Jernigan (leg) were among those out yesterday." Read more...

PRINCE HOPING FOR QUICK RETURN FROM ANKLE SPRAIN

At the moment Prince Amukamara was injured against the Bears last Friday night, the Giants cornerback didn’t quite know what had happened to him — or how serious it was.

“I just felt something just poking out, out the side of my leg,” Amukamara said yesterday, delivering an uneasy image before delivering an even more ominous one. “I definitely had a flashback of [breaking] my fifth metatarsal last season. I didn’t know what was going on.”

Last summer during training camp, Amukamara — then a rookie — fractured his foot and ended up missing the first nine games of the season. On Friday, he found out he suffered a high right ankle sprain, bad in terms of it being an injury, but less severe in that it was nothing more dire." Read more...

SITE LINK

THE BERGEN RECORD

GIANTS' ROOKIE DE ADEWALE OJOMO EXUDES CONFIDENCE

Adewale Ojomo is not worried about the competition.

As an undrafted defensive end trying to make it to the NFL, the former University of Miami standout just happens to be in a spot where three of the top players at the position in the NFL are his teammates with the Giants.

Essentially what that means is – after Jason Pierre-Paul, Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiora – everyone else battling to earn playing time is fighting to be the one who finishes fourth." Read more...

GIANTS' AMUKAMARA NOT FRUSTRATED WITH LATEST INJURY

It’s been quite a run for Prince Amukamara.

The Giants cornerback began the week answering questions about being dunked in a cold tub by teammate Jason Pierre-Paul during training camp and ended it Sunday wearing a walking boot to protect his moderate high right ankle sprain.

There is no timetable for Amukamara’s return – Michael Coe is expected to get the first shot to replace him opposite Corey Webster – but he insists he will push it as quickly as he can." Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK TIMES

SITE LINK

WALL STREET JOURNAL

SITE LINK

GIANTS 101

GIANTS' TERRELL THOMAS HOPES TO START RUNNING THIS WEEK

Excerpt: "The New York Giants have some tough decisions to make this week that will undoubtedly have a drastic effect upon team's upcoming title defense in 2012. Not only do General Manager Jerry Reese and head coach Tom Coughlin have to cut down the roster from 90 players to the final 53 (currently at 75), but the coaching staff must decide how to many players to take at each position on the depth chart." Read more...

##

GIANTS PLACE CHRIS CANTY AND TRAVIS BECKUM ON PUP, BRANDON MOSLEY ON IR

Excerpt: "The New York Giants were hoping to have defensive tackle Chris Canty back for the season opener against the Dallas Cowboys, but that's not going to happen. The team has placed both he and tight end Travis Beckum on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list, meaning they will each miss at least the first six weeks of the season. Neither will be eligible to come off of PUP until October 16th." Read more...

GIANTS' OSI UMENYIORA EXPERIENCING KNEE SWELLING

Excerpt: "Among the vast number of New York Giants who missed practice on Thursday was defensive end Osi Umenyiora. His absence was somewhat surprising as he had not missed a single practice all year. Unfortunately, it turns out that Umenyiora had experienced some swelling in his right knee – the same knee that was surgically repaired a year ago around this time." Read more...

SITE LINK

BIG BLUE VIEW

GIANTS' AFTERNOON PRACTICE NOTES

TERRELL THOAMS INJURY UPDATE: CORNERBACK KNOWS THE SCORE

Excerpt: "The New York Giants reached the mandated 75-man roster limit on Monday. Friday, the Giants and the other NFL teams have to pare their rosters down to the 53-man regular-season limit.

Cornerback Terrell Thomas knows that his name will be a topic of conversation when the Giants meet to discuss how to construct their season-opening roster. Do the Giants wait for Thomas, hoping he can rehab his twice surgically-repaired and now "aggravated" ACL, thus using a roster spot on a player who can't play right now? And may not be able to play at all? Or, do they put him on Injured Reserve and move on?" Read more...
    ##

MARTELLUS BENNETT: READY FOR BREAKOUT SEASON

Excerpt: "EDITOR'S NOTE: This post comes from Gail Bahr, an occasional contributor to ESPN, a Giants fan and a friend of Big Blue View. Gail sat down one-on-one with Martellus Bennett during training camp in Albany.]New York Giants’ tight end Martellus Bennett is ready.

In fact, he’s more than ready.

After attending Taylor High School in Alief, Texas, where he was a consensus prep All-American selection, Bennett continued to impress at Texas A&M by tying the school career record for receptions and establishing new school career records for receiving yards and receptions in consecutive games.

Meanwhile, NFL scouts were watching and waiting and, when Bennett declared his eligibility for the draft following his junior season, he was selected in the second round of the 2008 NFL Draft by the Dallas Cowboys.

It was then that things began to go awry." Read more...
    GIANTS' ROSTER CUTS: JOE MARTINEK AMONG CUTS AS TEAM REACHES 75

Excerpt: "There are a handful of surprises among the players cut or placed on Injured Reserve/PUP Monday to reach the 75-man roster limit. Here is the breakdown:" Read more...

NY GIANTS NEWS AND NOTES: PRINCE AMUKAMARA, SHAUN ROGERS, AND MORE

Excerpt: "Good morning, New York Giants fans! Here is tour Monday morning notebook." Read more...

SITE LINK

GMENHQ

SITE LINK

YARDBARKER.COM

SITE LINK

INSIDE FOOTBALL

GIANTS MAKE FIRST CUTS

SITE LINK

THE RED ZONE

SITE LINK

GIANTSFOOTBALLBLOG

SITE LINK

NFL.COM

PLAYER TRANSACTIONS FOR AUGUST 2012

SITE LINK

SI.COM

SITE LINK

ESPN

PRACTICE 411: WILL BEATTY PRACTICES WITH FIRST TEAM

Excerpt: "New York Giants left tackle Will Beatty returned to practice on Monday and got some work in with the first team during the two-minute drill.

Beatty has been in and out of practice with a back injury, which has been hampering him since OTAs.

“He practiced a little bit,” coach Tom Coughlin said, failing to divulge any further details. " Read more...

##

GIANTS' SHELVE CANTY AND BECKUM TO PUP

Excerpt: "The New York Giants placed defensive tackle Chris Canty and tight end Travis Beckum on the physically unable to perform list on Monday.
    Canty and Beckum are both recovering from offseason knee surgery and will not be eligible to play this season until at least after the first six games of the season." Read more...
    OJOMO HOPES TO SACK A ROSTER SPOT

Excerpt: "Adewale Ojomo doesn’t know what will happen when the Giants cut down their roster to 53 on Friday.

But the defensive end does seem fairly confident about one thing. Ojomo believes he’ll keep up his impressive play against the Patriots on Wednesday.

Ojomo, a backup defensive end fighting for a roster spot, has been impressive in his last two games, with a team-leading total of three sacks. He had two of those sacks against the Jets.

“No, haven’t really been surprised,” the confident Ojomo said. “I just believe in myself, believe in the coaching that I’m getting from [defensive line] coach Robert Nunn, what I’m getting from these guys, that’s it. I wouldn’t be surprised if I went out and had a couple more sacks this game. It’s not surprising to me.” Read more...

GIANTS' PRINCE AMUKAMARA IN WALKING BOOT

Excerpt: "Wearing a protective walking boot on his right foot, New York Giants cornerback Prince Amukamara knows he will be spending a lot more time in the cold tub with a high ankle sprain.
    And anyone who has seen the video of Jason Pierre-Paul pranking him knows that the last place the cornerback wants to be in is a tub full of icy water." Read more...

ROGERS WANTING CLEARANCE TO PLAY AGAIN

Defensive tackle Shaun Rogers said he is feeling fine and that he still hopes to play this season after suffering what was initially thought to be a season-ending blood clot during training camp.

"I’m alright," Rogers said as he spoke to reporters for the first time since suffering the blood clot nearly two weeks ago. "We did a little bit more due diligence and got a little bit better prognosis. Hopefully there is some room left in there to get out there. We’re still in the process of making that decision."

SITE LINK

NBCSPORTS

SITE LINK

CBSSPORTS

SITE LINK

FOXSPORTS

SITE LINK

YAHOOSPORTS

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLWEEKLY

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLFOCUS

SITE LINK

FOOTBALLOUTSIDERS

SITE LINK

MISCELLANEOUS

JETS CONTINUE TO HAVE TROUBLE FINDING CONSISTENCY AND THE END ZONE

COWBOYS' JAY RATLIFF LEAVES LOCKER ROOM ON CRUTCHES

2012 - 2013 NFL SCHEDULE

Excerpt: "On Wednesday, the NFL released a calendar of its most important dates of the 2012-13 season. Without further ado, here it is (feel free to bookmark and return as often as you need).

Notice that the trade deadline is still in Week 6 and not in Week 8 like the NFL originally wanted (I guess, at this point,all hope has been lost for 2012).

August 23-26 --Third Preseason Weekend.

August 27 - -Clubs must reduce rosters to a maximum of 75 players on Active List prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time.

August 29-30--Fourth Preseason Weekend.

August 31--Roster cut-down to maximum of 53 players on Active/Inactive List prior to 9:00 p.m., New York time. Clubs may dress minimum of 43 and maximum of 46 players for each regular season and postseason game.

September 1--Claiming period for players placed on waivers at the final roster reduction will expire at 12:00 noon, New York time.

September 1--Beginning at 12:00 noon, New York time, clubs may establish a Practice Squad of eight players by signing free agents who do not have an accrued season of free agency credit or who were on the 46-player Active List for less than nine regular season games during each of any Accrued Seasons. A player cannot participate on the Practice Squad for more than three seasons.

September 4 -- Deadline at 4:00 p.m., New York time, for all NFL Player Contracts, Practice Player Contracts, tender offers, and miscellaneous amounts to fit within each club's 2012 Salary Cap, in anticipation of the midnight expiration of the Top 51 Rule.

September 5 -- At 12:00 a.m., New York time, the Top 51 Rule expires for all NFL Clubs.

September 5 -- Deadline for Clubs to submit written request to receive up to $1.5 million in additional Salary Cap Room for the 2012 League Year, in accordance with CBA Article 11, Section 5(e)(ii).

Last edited by RoanokeFan; 08-27-2012 at 08:07 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

thanks Ro....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    thanks Ro....
    Busy, busy news day lol
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Port St. Lucie, FL (originally from Avenel, NJ)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Busy, busy news day lol
    Thanks as always, Ro. I love Martellus Bennett as the Black Unicorn.

another day another dollar huh RF thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Giantsfan241 View Post
    another day another dollar huh RF thanks
    Yeah, I need a Brinks truck to haul the cash away

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Yeah, I need a Brinks truck to haul the cash away
    hahahah make sure to write me in your will.

thanks much Roanoke!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue1971 View Post
    thanks much Roanoke!
    You are welcome

Veteran
    Thanks bro.