+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giants within reach of being Superbowl wins leader?

Giants within reach of being Superbowl wins leader?

Anyone who hates the Yankees has to live with the fact that their team can never catch the Yankees in World Series wins, ever in their lifetime. It seemed not too long ago, a Giants fan would have to accept that they might never hear their team mentioned among the likes of Dallas, San Francisco, Green Bay, or Pittsburgh. But now, it seems they're right there - and a good number of our standout players are fairly fresh in the NFL! Is it realistic to think many of us will someday see the Giants at the top of this list?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmie ray View Post
    Anyone who hates the Yankees has to live with the fact that their team can never catch the Yankees in World Series wins, ever in their lifetime. It seemed not too long ago, a Giants fan would have to accept that they might never hear their team mentioned among the likes of Dallas, San Francisco, Green Bay, or Pittsburgh. But now, it seems they're right there - and a good number of our standout players are fairly fresh in the NFL! Is it realistic to think many of us will someday see the Giants at the top of this list?
    I can live with that. Giants can get another Super Bowl win with no problem in the next 4-6 years easy. But some of us count all championships that NFL Teams have. Not just Super Bowls. In fact only the Packers, and Bears have more. Packers 13, Bears 9, Giants 8. Congrats you passed the Cowgirls with the 1st Super Bowl win, and have never looked back.
    Last edited by flamethrower; 08-28-2012 at 06:59 PM.
    NFL Football is so much better than NCAA.

I'm sure the majority here know that full well - thanks for putting it into perspective! Although I respect Pittsburgh's history and system, it's very much still out there that they are sitting on top of what the general public views as the measuring stick.

Banned
    You guys are tied with us. I hope Rodgers can tie Eli this year.

I was excited to know that we are drawing in on the lead... Hoping Easy E can get us at least 2 more SB's id be perfectly happy with one but you know success makes us greedy and at his age i see no reason why its not possible... Cowgirls Fans put that over our head even though they haven't done anything in years... It would help us to shut up their ******ed fans

All-Pro
    I could see us duplicating what we did over last 4/5 years and pick up 2 more SB trophys before this current group of core players retire!
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    In the midst of this losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

You are neglecting NFL history.

The Giants have stood at the top of the league 8 times now, which is 3rd all time (behind Green Bay at 13 and Chicago 9).

They are also tied for 3rd most Super Bowls with Green Bay, behind a tie for 2nd (SF and Dallas) and Pittsburgh with 6.

It's nice to be in the conversation in both scenarios.

And never say never...

- Dallas was stuck at 2 SBs when Landry's reign ended.
    - Pittsburgh didn't even make the playoffs once for the first 40 years.
    - Likewise SF was a joke for 30+ years.

Even though the Giants have never had a dynasty, they are the only team to win SBs in 4 consecutive decades and the only team to win 4 in the last 25 years.
    Last edited by SweetZombieJesus; 08-29-2012 at 03:21 PM.

^ I don't know who's neglecting history - but it sounds like you're projecting quite a few victories?

^ nope, my point was a team that's a league laughing stock can all of a sudden become a dynasty.

Pittsburgh didn't make the playoffs one single time in its first 40 years and then won 4 championships in one decade.
    San Fran was a joke for 30+ years and won 4 in one decade and added a 5th.
    I forgot to mention the Pats who were also a joke franchise and then won 3 in 4 years.
    In 1991 the Giants and Cowboys both had 2 Super Bowls and by 1996 the Cowboys had 5.

My point being, you never know who will rise up and become a dynasty, history says Cleveland or Seattle or Arizona could become a dynasty In fact, it seems to happen to teams who have sufferred decades of misery, and are then desperate enough to be radically different and bring in strong willed coaches -- Knoll, Walsh, Johnson, Belichick... It doesn't happen to teams that are historically well-run and have good track records, sadly for us. It did happen to Dallas but they were in shambles when Jones bought the team.
    Last edited by SweetZombieJesus; 08-30-2012 at 07:26 AM.

+ Reply to Thread