+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Free Agents next year?

I heard from a friend that Nicks, Cruz, JPP, and KP are all going to be free agents next year. Is this true? I hope some are at least restricted...

Quote Originally Posted by VBGiantsFan View Post
    I heard from a friend that Nicks, Cruz, JPP, and KP are all going to be free agents next year. Is this true? I hope some are at least restricted...
    No, kinda, no and yes.

There you go : http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/yearly/

Nicks was signed to a 5 year rookie deal after being drafted in 09.
    Cruz will be a RFA (less than 4 accrued season), just like Wallace this year, so it's not as bad as him being a FA.
    JPP was drafted in 2010, his rookie contract will end after the 2015 season.
    Phillips will be FA if not extended after the 2012 season.

Damn, good thing Cruz, Nicks, and JPP are staggered in their FA bids. I hope that means we can keep all 3.

The NFL should make some sort of salary exemption if you draft your great players. It sucks that these guys get developed and price themselves out of playing for the teams who made them great.

Damn, good thing Cruz, Nicks, and JPP are staggered in their FA bids. I hope that means we can keep all 3.

The NFL should make some sort of salary exemption if you draft your great players. It sucks that these guys get developed and price themselves out of playing for the teams who made them great.
    It's called parity and the whole reason for a salary cap is to ensure it exists.......if you want to keep your great players you draft....you have the inside track ...as long as you can make them happy...if you cant...they find someone that can
    "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

I would not be surprised if Cruz get taken care of sometime during the season.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie0075 View Post
    Maybe they want to make sure he isn't a 1 year wonder .... ?

I'm pretty sure he's not (route running, defense reading, physicality, work ethics ...) but from their spot, you don't reach conclusion that quick.

I think it was pretty much already stated, but Ill give it my angle.
    Nicks is a FA after the 2013 season. 5 year deal in 2009. Then Giants have the option to either resign him or franchise him for another year.
    Cruz is a FA after this season, but can be franchised as well for the 2013 season. If Cruz kills it this season, I see us locking him up for a 4-5 year contract. He will not even sniff FA if he has a big year, which I expect.
    JPP is locked in until after the 2015 season, although, the Giants may extend his deal after next year liek they did for Tuck. Keep the current contract and bang on years after with a bunch guarenteed to keep JPP happy. He may be the trickiest signing we ever had because he is going to command HUGE money.
    As for KP, he is a FA after this season. I expect him to have another big year and command some big dollars. I actually see us cutting off T2 (even if he is healthy) because we can under T2s contract and all that money we save go to KP and Cruz.
    ZERO quality wins the last 2 seasons. Major changes are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie0075 View Post
    The Giants dont work contracts during the season for the most part. Cruz will get taken care of though. Im sure they are already talking.
    ZERO quality wins the last 2 seasons. Major changes are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    ... or franchise him for another year .... can be franchised as well for the 2013 season ...
    Sorry for the heavy editing but the issue with the franchise tag is that it all goes toward the cap on a single year and we don't have much room.

About Cruz, it's unlikely they would franchise him while he's a RFA, the team has much leverage there (see Wallace in Pittsburgh) and I doubt they spend $10M for a guy who basically can't go away.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    The Giants dont work contracts during the season for the most part. Cruz will get taken care of though. Im sure they are already talking.
    They did with Tuck during the 07 play-off run they gave him a big extension 2 days before the Green Bay game so there is some precedent for it.