+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post News, notes, rumors, and gossip: Tuesday, August 28, 2012

HERE NOW THE NEWS

EXCERPTS FROM EXTERNAL NEWS ARTICLES REGARDING THE NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS ARE POSTED UNDER THEIR SOURCES. MISCELLANEOUS SPORTS ARTICLES ARE POSTED UNDER THE "MISCELLANEOUS" SECTION AT THE END OF THE THREAD. LINKS FOR ALL LISTED SOURCES ARE INCLUDED TO ALLOW MEMBERS TO INDEPENDENTLY BROWSE AT THEIR LEISURE.

NEWARK STAR LEDGER.

GIANTS' HOT TOPIC: SHOULD HAKEEM NICKS PLAY IN THE FINAL PRESEASON GAME?

Excerpt: "Hakeem Nicks is ready to play.

The Giants' No. 1 wide receiver is coming off a broken foot, and has been practicing hard. He said he felt he was ready to play Wednesday in the preseason finale against the Patriots. The question, though, is whether he should?" Read more...

GIANTS' CHRIS CANTY OUR FOR AT LESAT SIX GAMES, TESTING DEOTH AT DEFENSIVE TACKLE

Excerpt: "Linval Joseph knew it was coming. So did everybody else.
    Still, the news that Chris Canty was placed on the reserve/physically-unable-to-perform list Monday was a blow to the Giants’ defense.“Six weeks, whew, that’s a long time,” Joseph said as he stared at the floor of his locker in a moment of reflection. “Just pray we can keep it together until he gets back.”It will be those six weeks and then some before Canty, normally a starter at defensive tackle alongside Joseph, is in uniform for the Giants." Read more...
    JAYRON HOSLEY CONFIDENT HE'LL BE READY FOR SEASON OPENER

Excerpt: "Yesterday, Jayron Hosley was out of his walking boot for the first time since injuring his toe against the New York Jets in the Giants' second preseason game. Today, he was back to running for the first time.

Hosley was diagnosed with turf toe, a painful injury that can potentially hamper him throughout the season, did some running and backpedaling out in the rain while his teammates were inside practicing. There's still some pain, but the rookie cornerback has seen and felt progress.
    "It's definitely getting better," Hosley said. "The soreness went down a lot. Now I'm just trying to find a good move for my foot as far as cleats and things like that. I think I'll be good." Read more...

GIANTS' HAKEEM NICKS EXPECTING TO PLAY IN LAST PRESEASON GAME

Excerpt: ""Yeah, as of right now, I was told I’m going to take some snaps," said Nicks, who was activated off the physically unable to perform list two weeks ago after recovering from a broken foot. "But if they decide to change, I’m sure they’ll let me know. Whatever decision they make, I’ll roll with it."
    Nicks has looked good in practicesince his return last Monday. On Sunday, though, he caught a hook route in front of cornerback Michael Coe, pivoted and took off into the secondary with explosion he hadn't shown in his first few practices." Read more...

GIANTS' TYLER SASH HAS SUSPENSION UPHELD AFTER MEETING WITH COMMISSIONER GOODELL

Excerpt: "
    Tyler Sash pleaded one last time to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to no avail.

The second-year safety met with Goodell today — he joked it would be like going to the principal’s office — to discuss his four-game suspension for violating the league’s policy on performance-enhancing drugs and provide his side of the story. But the sentence won’t be reduced, according to a source knowledgeable of the situation, who requested anonymity because he wasn’t authorized to speak on the matter." Read more...
    SITE LINK

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

GIANTS' CHRIS CANTY HEADED FOR PUP LIST

Excerpt: "The more Chris Canrty stood on the sidelines watching his teammates practice this summer, the more it seemed obvious he wouldn’t be ready for the start of the season.

Obvious, at least, to everyone but him.

“I’m not going to say I saw it coming,” the defensive lineman said. “Obviously I was optimistic about it. I feel good. I feel in pretty good shape considering all the factors. I stand by the position my knee is better than it was in November, December, January of last season. “But ultimately this was a decision that was made in the best interest of the football team.” Read more...

SITE LINK

THE NEW YORK POST.

GIANTS' DT CANTY LANDS ON PUP LIST

As Chris Canty watched the work of the Giants defensive line, he has been taken aback by how the big guys toyed with the opposition during preseason games.

“Well, what I see is that guys are able to compete at a very high level,’’ Canty said yesterday. “You turn on the film, you watch the guys playing and it’s like watching the varsity defense vs. the JV offense. They’re dominant, they’re playing at a very high level.

“Coach [Tom Coughlin] talks about building a bridge from the 2011 season to the 2012 season. Guys have picked up right where they left off and it shows in their play.’’ Read more...

NICKS SET TO "TAKE SOME SNAPS" IN GIANTS' PRESEASON FINALE

Hakeem Nicks yesterday said he’s been told “I’m going to take some snaps’’ in tomorrow night’s preseason finale against the Patriots. He can’t wait.

“Good to know I’ll be going against some live action knowing someone’s going to be hitting me after I hit the ball, get my feet wet a little bit before this first opening game,’’ Nicks said. “That’s what I look forward to, getting some live snaps, hopefully getting a couple of routine routes down with Eli [Manning].’’

Nicks is coming back from the broken foot he suffered in the spring and he hasn’t played in any of the first three preseason games. Coach Tom Coughlin said, “As of right now, yes,’’ when asked if he will play his starting units in the final preseason game, but added, “That could change.’’ Read more...

SITE LINK

THE BERGEN RECORD

SITE LINK

NEW YORK TIMES

A GIANT USED TO STARTING OVER GETS TO START

SITE LINK

WALL STREET JOURNAL

SITE LINK

GIANTS 101

GIANTS' TERRELL THOMAS HOPES TO START RUNNING THIS WEEK

Excerpt: "The New York Giants have some tough decisions to make this week that will undoubtedly have a drastic effect upon team's upcoming title defense in 2012. Not only do General Manager Jerry Reese and head coach Tom Coughlin have to cut down the roster from 90 players to the final 53 (currently at 75), but the coaching staff must decide how to many players to take at each position on the depth chart." Read more...

SITE LINK

BIG BLUE VIEW

GIANTS' 53 MAN ROSTER PREDICTION

Excerpt: "Putting together a 53-man roster for an NFL team is no easy task. Today I am taking my stab at predicting the 53-man roster the New York Giants will open the 2012 NFL season with, and I have to tell you that some of the choices are gut-wrenching. I can't imagine how difficult they are for coach Tom Coughlin and general manager Jerry Reese.

Without any doubt, there are several NFL-caliber players who will not be included on the Giants' 53-man roster. Anyway, here is my stab at the roster, with some comments where necessary." Read more...

NY GIANTS' NEWS AND NOTES: HAKEEM NICKS, MADDEN 13, AND MORE

Excerpt: "Good morning, New York Giants fans! Here is your Tuesday morning notebook.
    Nicks 'can't wait' for game actionHead coach Tom Coughlin said Monday that wide receiver Hakeem Nicks will likely play a few snaps Wednesday against the New England Patriots. That was music to Nicks' ears."I’m supposed to be able to take some live snaps this week. That’s what Coach told me yesterday when I asked him. Doctor said the same thing so that’s what we look forward to doing," Nicks said. "efinitely can’t wait, going against some live action knowing that somebody is going to be hitting me after I catch the ball now. It will get my feet wet a little bit for this opening game. That’s what I look forward to, getting some live snaps."Nicks, of course, broke his foot during offseason OTAs." Read more...
    GIANTS' AFTERNOON PRACTICE NOTES

TERRELL THOAMS INJURY UPDATE: CORNERBACK KNOWS THE SCORE

Excerpt: "The New York Giants reached the mandated 75-man roster limit on Monday. Friday, the Giants and the other NFL teams have to pare their rosters down to the 53-man regular-season limit.

Cornerback Terrell Thomas knows that his name will be a topic of conversation when the Giants meet to discuss how to construct their season-opening roster. Do the Giants wait for Thomas, hoping he can rehab his twice surgically-repaired and now "aggravated" ACL, thus using a roster spot on a player who can't play right now? And may not be able to play at all? Or, do they put him on Injured Reserve and move on?" Read more...
    SITE LINK

GMENHQ

SITE LINK

YARDBARKER.COM

GIANTS CONCERNED ABOUT BEATTY'S BACK

Excerpt: "According to ProFootballWeekly.com, the New York Giants are getting more and more concerned over the health of Will Beatty’s back." Read more...

SITE LINK

INSIDE FOOTBALL

PRACTICE NOTEBOOK: AUGUST 27, 2012

Excerpt: "The Giants closed out their final preseason practice with another cards deal, so there wasn’t too much in the way of highlights and lowlights to talk about. Rather, there was some buzz around the locker room today.

Is some good news on the horizon with linebacker Michael Boley? Boley has begun running straight ahead, looking no worse for the wear, but he has yet to attempt cutting and back pedaling.

Boley said he’s starting to feel a little better, but remained unsure whether he’d be ready for opening night. “Right now I’m just trying to take it one day at a time,” he said. “Hopefully I’ll be back in time.” Read more...

SITE LINK

THE RED ZONE

SITE LINK

GIANTSFOOTBALLBLOG

SITE LINK

NFL.COM

PLAYER TRANSACTIONS FOR AUGUST 2012

SITE LINK

SI.COM

SITE LINK

ESPN

ROSTER ANALYSIS" OFFENSIVE PROJECTIONS

Excerpt: "The final preseason game against the Patriots is Wednesday night. This is a final chance for bubble players to impress the coaching staff. With the Giants cutting their roster down from 75 to 53 on Friday, let's take a look at the offense, position-by-position, and who might stay or go.

I'll take my stab at who I think will make it and who's on the bubble. Of course, some big individual performances and injuries could always change things. I'll tackle defense and special teams tomorrow. " Read more...

##

PRACTICE 411: WILL BEATTY PRACTICES WITH FIRST TEAM

Excerpt: "New York Giants left tackle Will Beatty returned to practice on Monday and got some work in with the first team during the two-minute drill.

Beatty has been in and out of practice with a back injury, which has been hampering him since OTAs.

“He practiced a little bit,” coach Tom Coughlin said, failing to divulge any further details. " Read more...

SITE LINK

NBCSPORTS

SITE LINK

CBSSPORTS

SITE LINK

FOXSPORTS

SITE LINK

YAHOOSPORTS

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLWEEKLY

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLFOCUS

SITE LINK

FOOTBALLOUTSIDERS

SITE LINK

MISCELLANEOUS

REX RYAN LESS THAN THRILLED WITH JETS' TOP THREE DRAFT PICKS

2012 - 2013 NFL SCHEDULE

Excerpt: "On Wednesday, the NFL released a calendar of its most important dates of the 2012-13 season. Without further ado, here it is (feel free to bookmark and return as often as you need).

Notice that the trade deadline is still in Week 6 and not in Week 8 like the NFL originally wanted (I guess, at this point,all hope has been lost for 2012).

August 23-26 --Third Preseason Weekend.

August 27 - -Clubs must reduce rosters to a maximum of 75 players on Active List prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time.

August 29-30--Fourth Preseason Weekend.

August 31--Roster cut-down to maximum of 53 players on Active/Inactive List prior to 9:00 p.m., New York time. Clubs may dress minimum of 43 and maximum of 46 players for each regular season and postseason game.

September 1--Claiming period for players placed on waivers at the final roster reduction will expire at 12:00 noon, New York time.

September 1--Beginning at 12:00 noon, New York time, clubs may establish a Practice Squad of eight players by signing free agents who do not have an accrued season of free agency credit or who were on the 46-player Active List for less than nine regular season games during each of any Accrued Seasons. A player cannot participate on the Practice Squad for more than three seasons.

September 4 -- Deadline at 4:00 p.m., New York time, for all NFL Player Contracts, Practice Player Contracts, tender offers, and miscellaneous amounts to fit within each club's 2012 Salary Cap, in anticipation of the midnight expiration of the Top 51 Rule.

September 5 -- At 12:00 a.m., New York time, the Top 51 Rule expires for all NFL Clubs.

September 5 -- Deadline for Clubs to submit written request to receive up to $1.5 million in additional Salary Cap Room for the 2012 League Year, in accordance with CBA Article 11, Section 5(e)(ii).
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 08-28-2012 at 05:20 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

thanks Roanoke!

i hope Beatty can rebound and stay healthy all season! we need him bad!

Thanks RF ! I'm wondering what it means in the whole scheme in reference to Beatty practicing and Locklear moving to RT, what about Diehl ? Is he moving back to LG or is it just Coach Coughlin shuffling around the guys to see what he comes up with ?

Quote Originally Posted by G-Men Surg. View Post
    Thanks RF ! I'm wondering what it means in the whole scheme in reference to Beatty practicing and Locklear moving to RT, what about Diehl ? Is he moving back to LG or is it just Coach Coughlin shuffling around the guys to see what he comes up with ?
    I think they realize Diehl is sunsetting and it's to their advantage to put Locklear in at RT and let Diehl rotate between L and R. David Diehl has done all asked of him and more, but at some point the reality of age and wear and tear have to be acknowledged.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue1971 View Post
    thanks Roanoke!

i hope Beatty can rebound and stay healthy all season! we need him bad!
    I'm wondering if Beatty will take any snaps tomorrow night

# 80

thanks Ro...
    Bummer for Sash. Seems like a bit of raw deal he got. Paper work not filled out and no consesssion for a short season last year due to the CBA.
    Oh well.....live and learn. Dont know why these sports docs arent at least some what up on these rules and regs.
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    thanks Ro...
    Bummer for Sash. Seems like a bit of raw deal he got. Paper work not filled out and no consesssion for a short season last year due to the CBA.
    Oh well.....live and learn. Dont know why these sports docs arent at least some what up on these rules and regs.
    No kidding, at the very least wouldn't a player or his physician ASK THE NFL to be sure? In this case, it sounds as tough had he alerted the League he would have been covered.

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    No kidding, at the very least wouldn't a player or his physician ASK THE NFL to be sure? In this case, it sounds as tough had he alerted the League he would have been covered.
    yep... I agree. Maybe the fact that is an excepted drug was the confusing part. The CBA should have had a prescription program for the players so that each prescription could be screened through the NFL. This way no issues.
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    yep... I agree. Maybe the fact that is an excepted drug was the confusing part. The CBA should have had a prescription program for the players so that each prescription could be screened through the NFL. This way no issues.

Well, he's lost fo,r what is it, four games? I hope he heals up in that time.

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Well, he's lost fo,r what is it, four games? I hope he heals up in that time.
    four games and he cant rehab or be in the facility. I wonder if he can use the Giants trainers and staff at an outside location??