+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

In defense of Fewell

Last year, his schemes brought us from the depths of bad defense under Sheridan to a top ten defense in the league. So, why suddenly, are these schemes no good?

Yes, I understand you don't like it when we rush three guys and drop eight into coverage. However, it isn't always a bad thing. Lots of times it creates QB confusion and interceptions. And even Spagnolo uses it. So, why don't you like it? Because lately, it hasn't caused the turnovers. Why not?

Yet you want to see more blitzing? Who would you send and why do you think they will get there? Chase Blackburn? Do you realize how many rookies we had playing defense this last week? Did you see the blown coverage when Dallas sent the blitz at us? It was the easiest TD for Eli this year.

This fact is, this defense is missing a lot of key guys. There are those off the field on IR, starters Jonathan Goff, Terrel Thomas, and nickel CB, Bruce Johnson. Others who have missed games like Osi and Boley, and most recently Kenny Phillips. And there are those missing, and still on the field, such as the ghost of Justin Tuck. Who has been our worst DE this year.

Personally, when I realized all the CBs that we were missing, I expected our secondary to make Rex Grossman and every other QB in the NFL look like Drew Brees, and Drew Brees to look like a demi-god. (No surprise there.) Personally, I am surprised they are playing as well as they are. Yes, that's right. I am impressed that they get an occasional three and out.

Finally, did you see all the flags in the NFL this weekend? If you are not looking back at the ball, any contact, just touching the receiver's shoulder pad, draws a yellow flag. Did you see all the points scored this weekend? Defenses are screwed in this pass-happy league and there are very few that are doing well, especially against good offenses, such as GB, NO, and yes, Dallas. And let's face it, Dallas was playing for their playoff lives, too, and at home.

So, lay off of Perry Fewell!!!
    the "realist" is a lazy piece of crap that works on his tan while sipping a margarita,
    the pessimist changes the sails while complaining about the lazy piece of crap,
    and the optimist changes the sails while hoping the lazy piece of crap will start to do his share of the work.

All-Pro

Re: In defense of Fewell

With the amount of injuries in the pre season I knew they would have their problems. The injuries have continued as the season has moved on. Look at Coe for example. He was starting to look good. He was a guy that might have been cut had it not been for so many injuries and there he was getting playing time and doing well. Well he was lost for the year too.

In the dome the Saints are very good. Not for nothing Eli out up 406 on them but the Giants lost. The Saints defense is nothing to brag about either and I don't know if they have all the injuries the Giants have.

The Packer game I thought they played well. The defense was was penalized on 2 very iffy 3rd down calls and the refs took a TD away from the Giants and allowed a TD for Green Bay and both looked like the wrong call. Oh, and their defense stinks too.

This last game was more mistakes on the defense than just getting beat. So hopefully they can correct those mistakes.

Before those 3 games the defense played well against the Patriots, 49er's, and the Eagles.

[quote user="Mercury"]Last year, his schemes brought us from the depths of bad defense under Sheridan to a top ten defense in the league.* So, why suddenly, are these schemes no good?*

Yes, I understand you don't like it when we rush three guys and drop eight into coverage.* However, it isn't always a bad thing.* Lots of times it creates QB confusion and interceptions.* And even Spagnolo uses it.* So, why don't you like it?* Because lately, it hasn't caused the turnovers.* Why not?*

Yet you want to see more blitzing?* Who would you send and why do you think they will get there?* Chase Blackburn?* Do you realize how many rookies we had playing defense this last week?* Did you see the blown coverage when Dallas sent the blitz at us?* It was the easiest TD for Eli this year.

This fact is, this defense is missing a lot of key guys.* There are those off the field on IR, starters Jonathan Goff, Terrel Thomas, and* nickel CB, Bruce Johnson.* Others who have missed games like Osi and Boley, and most recently Kenny Phillips.* And there are those missing, and still on the field, such as the ghost of Justin Tuck.* Who has been our worst DE this year.

Personally, when I realized all the CBs that we were missing, I expected our secondary to make Rex Grossman and every other QB in the NFL look like Drew Brees, and Drew Brees to look like a demi-god.* (No surprise there.)* Personally, I am surprised they are playing as well as they are.** Yes, that's right.* I am impressed that they get an occasional three and out.

Finally, did you* see all the flags in the NFL this weekend?* If you are not looking back at the ball, any contact, just touching the receiver's shoulder pad, draws a yellow flag.* Did you see all the points scored this weekend?* Defenses are screwed in this pass-happy league and there are very few that are doing well, especially against good offenses, such as GB, NO, and yes, Dallas.* And let's face it, Dallas was playing for their playoff lives, too, and at home.

So, lay off of Perry Fewell!!!*
    [/quote]I for one, hate zone defense but I know it does have its uses or it would not have been created decades ago...But the time to use it is NOT all the the time. You need a good mix of defensive looks. Heavy pressure with a good rotation on the Line keeps the pressure on the Oline, fatiguing it quickly in order to get to the QB or cause him to throw errant passes. Zone defense does the opposite but allows more time to burn off the clock. So if you have the offense on their 15 and there is 30 seconds on the clock and they need a TD, you are more likely to burn more time per play. Zone is by no means the way to base your defense if you have players drafted to be impact pass-rushers or man to man coverage defenders. Make the QB get rid of the ball with little time to think about it.

This is oversimplified but you get the idea I am sure. In zone the defenders have to do alot of "read and react"...would you prefer to have YOUR players reading and reacting or make THEIR players read and react? Put the pressure on the offense to think about what they have to do creates a bit more time for defenses to get there and less time for them to make the play.

[quote user="Mercury"]Last year, his schemes brought us from the depths of bad defense under Sheridan to a top ten defense in the league.* So, why suddenly, are these schemes no good?*

Yes, I understand you don't like it when we rush three guys and drop eight into coverage.* However, it isn't always a bad thing.* Lots of times it creates QB confusion and interceptions.* And even Spagnolo uses it.* So, why don't you like it?* Because lately, it hasn't caused the turnovers.* Why not?*

Yet you want to see more blitzing?* Who would you send and why do you think they will get there?* Chase Blackburn?* Do you realize how many rookies we had playing defense this last week?* Did you see the blown coverage when Dallas sent the blitz at us?* It was the easiest TD for Eli this year.

This fact is, this defense is missing a lot of key guys.* There are those off the field on IR, starters Jonathan Goff, Terrel Thomas, and* nickel CB, Bruce Johnson.* Others who have missed games like Osi and Boley, and most recently Kenny Phillips.* And there are those missing, and still on the field, such as the ghost of Justin Tuck.* Who has been our worst DE this year.

Personally, when I realized all the CBs that we were missing, I expected our secondary to make Rex Grossman and every other QB in the NFL look like Drew Brees, and Drew Brees to look like a demi-god.* (No surprise there.)* Personally, I am surprised they are playing as well as they are.** Yes, that's right.* I am impressed that they get an occasional three and out.

Finally, did you* see all the flags in the NFL this weekend?* If you are not looking back at the ball, any contact, just touching the receiver's shoulder pad, draws a yellow flag.* Did you see all the points scored this weekend?* Defenses are screwed in this pass-happy league and there are very few that are doing well, especially against good offenses, such as GB, NO, and yes, Dallas.* And let's face it, Dallas was playing for their playoff lives, too, and at home.

So, lay off of Perry Fewell!!!*
    [/quote]

You made alot of Valid points.. But this guy is totally clueless when it comes to adjustments in game. Why all the man coverage when you are protecting a lead with seconds left two weeks in a row. Allowing other teams to march right down the field? Why? why do you continuously use KIWI at LBER.. he is a DE period horrible Lber. With Boley back OSI out and Tuck banged up KIWI should not be at LBer ever again.. I'm not even going to get started with Deon Grant and why he is on this team are you kidding me? This defense is injured and flawed at spots but a good DC will adjust to his talents and play to protect leads not basically give games away.

Allowing 34+ in each of the last three games regardless of who your playing and whatever injuries your team has sustained is unacceptable......if your gonna give up that many points in a zone might as well bring the house and hopefully force a turnover or bad decision ala Romo's errant throw to Austin......yeah he was open but the blitz forced an early release and subsequent incompletion allowing Eli to do his thing.

[quote user="Mercury"]Last year, his schemes brought us from the depths of bad defense under Sheridan to a top ten defense in the league. So, why suddenly, are these schemes no good?

Yes, I understand you don't like it when we rush three guys and drop eight into coverage. However, it isn't always a bad thing. Lots of times it creates QB confusion and interceptions. And even Spagnolo uses it. So, why don't you like it? Because lately, it hasn't caused the turnovers. Why not?

Yet you want to see more blitzing? Who would you send and why do you think they will get there? Chase Blackburn? Do you realize how many rookies we had playing defense this last week? Did you see the blown coverage when Dallas sent the blitz at us? It was the easiest TD for Eli this year.

This fact is, this defense is missing a lot of key guys. There are those off the field on IR, starters Jonathan Goff, Terrel Thomas, and nickel CB, Bruce Johnson. Others who have missed games like Osi and Boley, and most recently Kenny Phillips. And there are those missing, and still on the field, such as the ghost of Justin Tuck. Who has been our worst DE this year.

Personally, when I realized all the CBs that we were missing, I expected our secondary to make Rex Grossman and every other QB in the NFL look like Drew Brees, and Drew Brees to look like a demi-god. (No surprise there.) Personally, I am surprised they are playing as well as they are. Yes, that's right. I am impressed that they get an occasional three and out.

Finally, did you see all the flags in the NFL this weekend? If you are not looking back at the ball, any contact, just touching the receiver's shoulder pad, draws a yellow flag. Did you see all the points scored this weekend? Defenses are screwed in this pass-happy league and there are very few that are doing well, especially against good offenses, such as GB, NO, and yes, Dallas. And let's face it, Dallas was playing for their playoff lives, too, and at home.

So, lay off of Perry Fewell!!!
    [/quote]

You have very low standards.

[quote user="BlueJayC"]Allowing 34+ in each of the last three games regardless of who your playing and whatever injuries your team has sustained is unacceptable......if your gonna give up that many points in a zone might as well bring the house and hopefully force a turnover or bad decision ala Romo's errant throw to Austin......yeah he was open but the blitz forced an early release and subsequent incompletion allowing Eli to do his thing.[/quote]I agree...you actually have a better chance when you send the house! In Zone, it is inevitable that they will score and by chance that you make game-changing defensive plays

All-Pro

[quote user="BlueJayC"]Allowing 34+ in each of the last three games regardless of who your playing and whatever injuries your team has sustained is unacceptable......if your gonna give up that many points in a zone might as well bring the house and hopefully force a turnover or bad decision ala Romo's errant throw to Austin......yeah he was open but the blitz forced an early release and subsequent incompletion allowing Eli to do his thing.[/quote]

So you are willing to hope that play has the same results all game? Very close to losing on that play.

All-Pro

Hmm. Good post. I had forgotten that our defense was actually decent last year. That being said, then it's probably his adjustments. You can't expect to do the same thing when you have guys injured. But Even last year, I felt we under performed.

did all of you hate Belichick when he was here.....because basically all he did was drop back in umbrella zones and send LT

granted he was the king of adjustments......but still dont hate the zone.

the zones played today are much more intricate .....a lot of times when you see zone there are a player or even 2 in man to confuse the QB

I understand that Fewel does not adjust well......but its the players blowing coverages and being out of position

all season we have Rolle not playing his natural position.....we had to bring back Grant, Blackmon, and Blackburn because of injuries.....and we have to play a ton of rookies

this is not all on Fewell