+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The passing game can be astronomically great.

The pass offense last season as we all know was very good, but this season there is a very good chance that it could be even better. Not only do we have Nicks and Cruz back, having Hixon and Randle as back-ups is a vast improvement over what we had last season. At tight-end I did like Ballard but he isn't exactly an all-pro caliber, and now with Black Unicorn who is a superior talent with a potential to be a bigger offensive threat, that's a big improvement as well, and with David Wilson carrying the ball, it should help out the passing game as the opponent would have to honor the running game, which was 32nd last year so the Giants pretty much had to play against pass defenses all the time but not this year if David Wilson proves to be a game-breaker, which translates into more opportunities for play-action plays.

If all things go as it should, the Giants offense of 2012 could be one of the best ever in the history of the franchise. Things are all set up for Eli to take the next step, Eli is elite now, but with a successful 2012 campaign statistics-wise, Eli can become an icon.
    Last edited by SuperNYGiants; 08-30-2012 at 12:37 PM.

Don't belittle what Manningham gave this team last year. He made some great and crucial plays. He was much better than a number 3 option. He will not be so easily replaced.

Personally, I think the run game will be improved and the defense will be improved over last year. And that means, the passing game won't have to be even as great as it was in 2011.

what i love is the versatility our wr core gives us. JR doesnt kid around when he uses that word. We can line up Nicks and Cruz out wide, with JJ in the slot. Or Nicks and Randle/Barden outside and Cruz in the slot. Bennett has the ability to go out wide and play from the slot.
    And even further, i objectively believe each guy on the depth chart at wr has the ability to blow a game wide open. I really do. I have been patient with Barden altho its been tested, and I think he can be that guy he was vs Chicago consistently. I KNOW what Nicks and Cruz do. I believe JJ, even tho he hasnt shown much, does have the ability to take a 5 yd route the distance with his speed and elusiveness.
    I believe Randle is gonna be similar to Nicks in a lot of ways. And I know Hixon has the ability, or at least he had the ability, to be a viable threat. Opposing defenses better study up on each and every guy bc KG could use em all. They all have had reps and time devoted to being ready when called upon.
    Nicks injury was a blessing really when u think about it. Barden, JJ, Hixon, and Randle all got quality reps with the 1s...

And the cou' de gras is we got Eli Manning running the show. Yeah we won the SB last year, and yeah we're a talented team who could repeat. But I believe NEXT season, when we add OL help and touch up the defense, thats when the dynasty really takes off. If we can repeat this year, teams might as well not even bother in 2013 bc we're a run game away from being an all time team.

I'm not discrediting what Mario did last season for us, but let's not go over-board just because he had one Kodak moment in Super Bowl, I think the pass by Eli was more amazing than the catch, which on NFL level really should be routine when the ball is placed that perfectly. I would give more credit to Mario on the TD catch in the NFC title game.

Mario also missed a lot of games to injury and let's be honest, he's never a go to guy on 3rd down and long. I think Randle will easily be more productive this season.

Let's hope the o-line can keep Eli upright. That's really the big question here.

I am as positive a fan as there is, but I am now concerned about the OLine. Without quarreling with anything the OP has written it's all a gamble if the line continues to be porous as it was last night. I'm not a "the sky is falling" commando but that group needs to step up NOW if we're to make a serious run at repeating.
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 08-30-2012 at 01:46 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

they just got to play as they did vs Chicago when it was the entire starting unit (snee included). It wasnt the NE 2nd stringers that were causing problems, it was the lack of intensity by our OL. I chalk it up to the 4th preseason game syndrome. I could literally write a few paragraphs on what that is, but I dont care to. I trust it will be fine for Dallas.

at least in pass protection.

Mario made some critical plays, but he also dropped some critically important balls...and always scared me to death with the way he held the ball after the catch (those instances he did make the catch). If not for THE Catch in the superbowl, no one-- absolutely no one-- would be talking about having to replace Manningham. I think Randle and/or Barden can handle the #3 wideout with very little dropoff, and the potential for upside (over Mario) by the second half of the season and going forward. I also think (certainly hope) with M.Bennett, the TE will play a MUCH more important role in our passing game than it has sine Shockey left....and that will only make Nicks and Cruz that much more leathal of weapons.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I am positive a fan as there is, but I am now concerned about the OLine. Without quarreling with anything the OP has written it's all a gamble if the line continues to be porous as it was last night. I'm not a "the sky is falling" commando but that group needs to step up NOW if we're to make a serious run at repeating.
    What, in your opinion, would it take for the O to gel and become a force? If you don't mind my asking. Last night's outing was pretty sad. Are they sandbagging or are they really that bad? tia

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ashleymarie View Post
    What, in your opinion, would it take for the O to gel and become a force? If you don't mind my asking. Last night's outing was pretty sad. Are they sandbagging or are they really that bad? tia
    Nevermind, I just read your thread WWJD and you answered my questions.