+ Reply to Thread

We just gained a roster spot with the new IR rule that just passed??

States that one player per team can go on the IR and then return later in the season! Correct me if I'm wrong but that would mean we can free up a roster spot by putting Terrell Thomas on IR and then call him back if he's healthy??

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...rve-exception/
    Last edited by Snappinnecks; 08-30-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Snappinnecks View Post
    States that one player per team can go on the IR and then return later in the season! Correct me if I'm wrong but that would mean we can free up a roster spot by putting Terrell Thomas on IR and then call him back if he's healthy??

I think we have a thread out there already that was moved to General Sports where it was mentioned that the player must be on the 53 man roster BEFORE the new IR system is used for that specific player.
    Last edited by repeatchamps; 08-30-2012 at 01:47 PM.
    Over 5500 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

Just a couple clarifications:

Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt
    From the NFL regarding new IR rule: teams can return one player placed on IR to their 53-player active list by tomorrow. Seems fair.

Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoNYDN
    So the Giants, for example, could re-activate DE Justin Trattou to the 53-man roster tomorrow. Then place him on short-term IR Tuesday

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo
    Ok so looks like the new IR rules mandate the player who will be activated MUST be designated at the time he's put on IR. #nyg

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo
    So in other words, the Giants can't IR, say, Thomas, Austin and Rogers and then say, "We'll see who gets healthy." #nyg

Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoNYDN
    The short-term IR only applies to players with a "major injury" that is expected to keep them sidelined at least six weeks. #NYG

Kevin Seifert ‏@espn_nfcnblog
    Curveball in new IR rule: For '12 only, players already on IR before 9/4 ARE eligible for activation. Must be designated by Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Snappinnecks View Post

yes, this is good news !!
    Apologize to Melo 5

So who's it gonna be? My moneys gonna be on TT. His ability to return this season seems to be the most in doubt and is at least a long way off. Marvin Austin would be my second guess. We haven't gotten much info on his back injury, so its hard to say. Its possible they send both these guys to the season ending IR and use the short term IR on a guy like Shaun Rogers. The big downside is that we have cut down to 53, THEN choose someone to put on the short term IR - opening up a roster spot. So whoever we want to take that roster spot back will have to me made vulnerable to being snatched up by another team. Wouldn't surprise me to see the Pats try to screw us again there.

I would say marvin austin
    acls are very tricky to deal with

Banned
    They need to just expand the rosters already. Injuries are becoming a serious problem now especially with all of the new rules regarding concussions.

So according to the rules Canty wouldn't qualify then?
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Quote Originally Posted by miked1958 View Post
    So according to the rules Canty wouldn't qualify then?
    Never mind, just saw we had placed him on PUP last week
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Quote Originally Posted by miked1958 View Post
    Never mind, just saw we had placed him on PUP last week
    Canty can come off PUP between week 6 and week 9

be nice to get a healthy Canty and a healthy TT midseason ... could be real nice additions
    Apologize to Melo 5