+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 49ers are the Titans of 2008-2009

Veteran
    retirement home in Dallas (my son married a Texas gal. Woe is me)

The 49ers are the Titans of 2008-2009

One great season and then all down hill from there. Alex Smith's performance last year is as flukey as Kerry Collin's was.
    The only thing that makes them the playoffs is just how terrible that division is. You probably only need 7 wins to win that division.

Gotta disagree with you.

True, Alex Smith is not a really good QB and he played with so much bubble wrap on him that it was almost impossible for him to mess up the offense. And yes they were pretty fortunate with injuries last year. No major inuries to that very talented front 7-WOW! Even the Ginats had to deal with injuries to Tuck, Osi, Boley and others thoughout last season. Can't see them going 2 seasons in a row without injuries there.

But Harbaugh is a good coach though. The whole team has bought into his system and long term they will go deep into the playoffs as a result. They may take a step back this year record wise, but I can see them winning their division and going deep into the playoffs for many years to come. But I don't think they can win it all with Alex Smith as their QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Giants5699 View Post
    One great season and then all down hill from there. Alex Smith's performance last year is as flukey as Kerry Collin's was.
    The only thing that makes them the playoffs is just how terrible that division is. You probably only need 7 wins to win that division.
    nah....you are wrong. The Niners have a solid team up and down their roster mostly. Alex Smith is what he is and IMO he is not that bad at all.
    Their D is great too. The Giants only needed 9 wins to win the NFC East.

the NIners are legit and if you dont think so you dont know football.
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    nah....you are wrong. The Niners have a solid team up and down their roster mostly. Alex Smith is what he is and IMO he is not that bad at all.
    Their D is great too. The Giants only needed 9 wins to win the NFC East.

the NIners are legit and if you dont think so you dont know football.
    agreed. Smith isn't as bad as ppl make him out to be, he's pretty decent and is only gonna gain confidence and get better especially after last yr. Now do I see the 9ers winning 13 games again no, but they're in the area of 10 or 11 wins imo

Interesting comparison. Those Titans were almost equally as talented in many areas. Very strong OL at the time led by Roos/Stewart at T, Mawae at center. They had CJ2K and LenDale White, probably the second best combo at the time to us and the EWF. Receivers were weak, just like the Niners. As for the defense, Haynesworth was the best DT in football, Vanden Bosch was great, Tulloch, Bulluck at LBer, Griffin, Finnegan in the secondary. I think we could easily flip flop the teams, and still feel the same. Say the 49ers had 2011's season in 2008, and the Titans just went 13-3 last year, I think we would sing the same tune. That Titans team fell apart with the loss of Haynesworth, KVB, and the lack of a solid QB. A lot of things will have to plague the Niners to fall down the same path.

Great thread.

Don't know if I agree though. Very similar situations, but I think the 9ers will still be pretty decent this year, but not as good as last year.

On a side note I think that it's odd that for years leading up to last season, everyone was talking about how good the 49ers should be. But as soon as they were actually good, a lot of people began to call them a fluke.

Veteran
    I don't remember the Titans D being that good in 08.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen0820 View Post
    Interesting comparison. Those Titans were almost equally as talented in many areas. Very strong OL at the time led by Roos/Stewart at T, Mawae at center. They had CJ2K and LenDale White, probably the second best combo at the time to us and the EWF. Receivers were weak, just like the Niners. As for the defense, Haynesworth was the best DT in football, Vanden Bosch was great, Tulloch, Bulluck at LBer, Griffin, Finnegan in the secondary. I think we could easily flip flop the teams, and still feel the same. Say the 49ers had 2011's season in 2008, and the Titans just went 13-3 last year, I think we would sing the same tune. That Titans team fell apart with the loss of Haynesworth, KVB, and the lack of a solid QB. A lot of things will have to plague the Niners to fall down the same path.
    for me the biggest dif is that the Niners do have a solid QB. What did Smith do last year that was so bad?? I know all stuff that is said about him but as he is not great he certainly is solid and they know what he can do and really dont ask him to go over his head. They are very well coached too.
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

9ers are a very good team, but playing in the NFCW is gonna give em 5 wins easy as I maybe see Az or Seattle splitting with em. So they have to go 5-3 outside the division for 10 wins. I'll wait to see how well they do vs GB in their opener, to really get a feel for them.

The additions of Moss, Mannigham & BJ will help out Vernon Davis & Gore is a beast as well. Really no excuses for Smith not to have a breakout yr & lead them back to the NFC title game at the very least.

Bench Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Giants5699 View Post
    I don't know what you base that on.....but you have solid coach who inherited a very talented squad (10 years in the toilet and the top draft pics to show for it will do that) and if anything they are going to be better......and that's scary.

1st year coach taking over with no offseason and goes to the NFC Championship ? And they are going to fall off the map this year ?

Dude..............

+ Reply to Thread