+ Reply to Thread

Tuck Rule - Packers Game

I didn't post this question right after the game because I didn't want to be called a whiner or accused of making excuses for Eli. I don't have a video link to the play, but it was ruled a fumble by Eli and I don't think there was a challenge. He was attempting to bring the ball back to his body when the ball was knocked loose. If anyone remembers the play, can you tell me why the "Tuck Rule" did not apply?

NFL Rule 3, Section 22, Article 2, Note 2. When [an offensive]
    player is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional forward
    movement of his arm starts a forward pass, even if the player loses
    possession of the ball as he is attempting to tuck it back toward his
    body. Also, if the player has tucked the ball into his body and then
    loses possession, it is a fumble.[1]

Re: Tuck Rule - Packers Game

[quote user="chasjay"]I didn't post this question right after the game because I didn't want to be called a whiner or accused of making excuses for Eli. I don't have a video link to the play, but it was ruled a fumble by Eli and I don't think there was a challenge. He was attempting to bring the ball back to his body when the ball was knocked loose. If anyone remembers the play, can you tell me why the "Tuck Rule" did not apply?

NFL Rule 3, Section 22, Article 2, Note 2. When [an offensive] player is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his arm starts a forward pass, even if the player loses possession of the ball as he is attempting to tuck it back toward his body. Also, if the player has tucked the ball into his body and then loses possession, it is a fumble.[1]

[/quote]

Which game? In order for the tuck rule to apply, the QB has to have control of the ball initially as he moves it fwd..... if he looses it after the initial fwd movement, then it is a tuck. However, if he looses it before his arm starts to move fwd, then it is a fumble.

All-Pro

Anything close in that game went the Packers way. I dont get what is a TD catch ora fumble anymore. I also dont understand what a clean hit on a QB or a defenseless receiver is. They grayed the rules too much. Now it is all about interpretation, and that can lead the referees to making calls for their own agenda rather then the rules of a football game.

Point being, we wont get the same calls as the Patriots or Packers, the sweetheart teams of the NFL right now. Eli will not get the same calls as Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers. Our Dline will not get holding calls against them, and for that I have no idea...

[quote user="rebelfan1966"][quote user="chasjay"]I didn't post this question right after the game because I didn't want to be called a whiner or accused of making excuses for Eli. I don't have a video link to the play, but it was ruled a fumble by Eli and I don't think there was a challenge. He was attempting to bring the ball back to his body when the ball was knocked loose. If anyone remembers the play, can you tell me why the "Tuck Rule" did not apply?

NFL Rule 3, Section 22, Article 2, Note 2. When [an offensive] player is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his arm starts a forward pass, even if the player loses possession of the ball as he is attempting to tuck it back toward his body. Also, if the player has tucked the ball into his body and then loses possession, it is a fumble.[1]

[/quote]

Which game? In order for the tuck rule to apply, the QB has to have control of the ball initially as he moves it fwd..... if he looses it after the initial fwd movement, then it is a tuck. However, if he looses it before his arm starts to move fwd, then it is a fumble.

[/quote]

The Packers. Eli had drawn the ball back to pass and I thought he had begun to try and pull it back to his chest when it was knocked out.

[quote user="chasjay"][quote user="rebelfan1966"][quote user="chasjay"]I didn't post this question right after the game because I didn't want to be called a whiner or accused of making excuses for Eli. I don't have a video link to the play, but it was ruled a fumble by Eli and I don't think there was a challenge. He was attempting to bring the ball back to his body when the ball was knocked loose. If anyone remembers the play, can you tell me why the "Tuck Rule" did not apply?

[/quote]

[/quote]

The Packers. Eli had drawn the ball back to pass and I thought he had begun to try and pull it back to his chest when it was knocked out.
    [/quote]

Yea, I recall that one.... the refs said it was an empty hand. There were several eyebrow raising calls in that game.