+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

News, notes, rumors, and gossip: Friday, August 31, 2012

HERE NOW THE NEWS

EXCERPTS FROM EXTERNAL NEWS ARTICLES REGARDING THE NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS ARE POSTED UNDER THEIR SOURCES. MISCELLANEOUS SPORTS ARTICLES ARE POSTED UNDER THE "MISCELLANEOUS" SECTION AT THE END OF THE THREAD. LINKS FOR ALL LISTED SOURCES ARE INCLUDED TO ALLOW MEMBERS TO INDEPENDENTLY BROWSE AT THEIR LEISURE.

NEWARK STAR LEDGER.

COWBOYS" JASON WITTEN'S CHANCES OF PLAYING VS GIANTS "NOT GOOD" DUE TO SPLEEN INJURY, REPORT SAYS

Excerpt: "
    A few weeks ago, Jason Witten's status for the regular-season opener against the Giants was in doubt. Now five days before the game, nothing has changed.
    Which means Witten's status is apparently that much more in doubt.As Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett told reporters on Thursday, Witten has yet to be cleared to play after lacerating his spleen in a preseason game against the Oakland Raiders.ESPN's Adam Schefter takes it a step further by saying sources told himWitten's chances of playing on Wednesday are "not good." Read more...

##

ADEWALE OJOMO MAKES GIANTS' ROSTER

Excerpt: "1:02 p.m. UPDATED with Adrian Tracy info. At first, Adewale Ojomo was just flashing a bit and getting in Tim Tebow's head.

By the end of the preseason, the defensive end was winning games,sparing all of us from preseason overtime and downright forcing the Giants to keep him." Read more...

GIANTS CUT DJ WARE, ENDING FIVE YEAR CAREER WITH TEAM

D.J. Ware opened the preseason by rushing for 30 yards and a touchdown on five carries. One week later, he ran for only 15 yards on 11 attempts while also allowing a blocked punt.

So when David Wilson jumped into a starting role in place of the injured Ahmad Bradshaw while Ware got only one carry over the final two games, it seemed Ware's job was in jeopardy.
    Sure enough, Ware has been cut.

"5 great years and 2 SB rings its been fun #NYG,"Ware tweeted this morning. "Time is done here" Read more...

GIANTS WAIVE WIDE RECEIVERS DAN DEPALMA, DAVID DOUGLAS, ISIAH STANBACK

At various times, some wondered if Ramses Barden and Jerrel Jernigan were in danger of losing their jobs.

Apparently, those folks should wonder no more.
    The Giants have waived wide receivers David Douglas, Dan DePalma and Isaiah Stanback, thus leaving them with six wide receivers, the minimum they've kept on the roster in recent years.

The six receivers left are Barden, Jernigan, Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz, Domenik Hixon and Rueben Randle." Read more...

GIANTS WAIVE GREAG JONES, STARTING MIDDLE LINEBACKER IN 2011 SEASON OPENER

Last year, Greg Jones was the Giants' starting middle linebacker in Week 1.

Today, he was cut.

The former sixth-round pick has been waived, according to one of his agents. Jones is ineligible for the practice squad because he appeared in all 16 games last season, so his time with the Giants is over for now.

Jones made six starts last season but Mark Herzlich replaced him in the lineup after he missed an assignment against the San Francisco 49ers, allowing Vernon Davis to score an easy touchdown. Jones remained a key contributor on special teams and dressed for all four playoff games. After Super Bowl XLVI,he proposed to his then-girlfriend on the field during the postgame celebration." Read more...

GIANTS ROSTER CUTDOWN, LIVE COVERAGE

Keep checking back for updated cuts. They're added to the list below as they happen.
    The Giants have begun paring down their final roster to get to the mandatory 53-man limit by 9 p.m. today, and there's already been confirmation of two players' being let go." Read more...

GIANTS' JUSTIN TUCK SAYS NEW IR RULE EXCEPTION IS "GOOD AND BAD"

The NFL and NFL Players Association agreed today to amend the injured reserve rules so that one player who goes on IR can return to the active roster after eight weeks.
    Surely that will make everyone happy.Well, partly.“That’s a good thing and a bad thing because a lot of teams are going to use that to their advantage,” Giantsdefensive end Justin Tuck said today. “But for the people who do that the right way, that can really help a guy because there are parts of the season when guys just can’t get out there and go. You get a couple of weeks off, they get healthy and they can go out there and go. I see the good in it and I also see the bad in it.” Read more...

GIANTS' FINAL 53-MAN ROSTER PROJECTIONS FROM STAR LEDGER STAFF WRITERS

So I was getting tweets from people on asking when I'm going to do my Giantsfinal roster projection and I honestly didn't know if I'd ever done one.
    Turns out I did. And former co-beat writer Zach Berman edged me out in that one.Against my better judgment, I've decided to do one again. And this time, I'm taking on current co-beat writer Jorge Castillo in a battle with a friendly wager attached to it.If I win, he has to drive me to MetLife Stadium on game days. (My wife is pulling for me here.)If he wins, I have to resign." Read more...

GIANTS' WILL BEATTY COULD BE READY FOR SEASON OPENER

Though Will Beatty did not suit up for a preseason game and is dealing with the constant uncertainty with his back injury, Tom Coughlin believes there's a chance the Giants' left tackle could be ready for Wednesday's season opener against the Dallas Cowboys.
    "I’d like to have Beatty back without a doubt to put us back in at least a three-tackle situation. We’ll have to see how Beatty is," Coughlin said today on a conference call with reporters. "If he continues to make progress, then we should be able to get him back for the game." Read more ...

GIANTS' PRINCE AMUKAMARA AND JAYRON HOSLEY HOLDING OUT HOPE FOR OPENER

If Prince Amukamara and Jayron Hosley have it their way, they will in uniform Wednesday night's season opener against the Dallas Cowboys. But the cornerbacks won't and they'll need to prove over the next few days that they can step on the further without a hitch.

Both players are out of their walking boots. Hosley, nursing a turf toe injury, ran earlier this week, but Amukamara, who has a high-ankle sprain, has not run yet and is likely further away from taking the field. Both injuries surely won't be 100 percent healed anytime soon and it's more about whether they can handle the nagging pain." Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

CUT-DOWN DAY: A RUNNING LIST OF THE GIANTS' MOVES

GIANTS' JUSTIN TUCK LAMENTS MISSED OPPORTUNITY TO WIN BACK TO BACK SUPER BOWL TITLES FIRST TIME AROUND

Excerpt: "t's been almost four years now and the hole is still there, both in their hearts and in the trophy case in the lobby.

Justin Tuck
    still thinks about it all the time, a chance at back-to-back championships that was stolen away.
    The Giants were, in Tuck’s eyes, “the best team in football” in 2008. Fresh off a Super Bowl victory so many thought was a fluke, they bowled over their doubters with an 11-1 start. They were dominating everyone, brimming with confidence. A dynasty-making second straight NFL title was in their sights.

Then Plaxico Burress shot himself in the leg, the Giants finished 1-3, and lost to the Philadelphia Eagles in a divisional-round disgrace." Read more...

NEW IR RULE COULD BE A BIG HELP TO GIANTS

Excerpt: "The NFL and the NFL Players Association finally agreed on a modified injured reserve rule on Thursday morning – one that might just save the season for one of the injured Giants.

The new rule, which the two sides had been discussing for months, will allow each team to place one player on a shorter term injured reserve, which would allow the player to return after an eight-week absence. Previously, any player placed on injured reserve was out for the entire year." Read more...

SITE LINK

THE NEW YORK POST.

GIANTS SURPRISINGLY CUT RB WARE, LB JONES

It did not bode well for D.J. Ware that the later it got in the preseason the less he saw the field. The battle for the final running back spot on the Giants, once considered a duel between Andre Brown and Da’Rel Scott, took a turn this summer and when Friday’s cuts came down it was Ware that was the one to go.

Ware, 27, spent the past five years with the Giants, exclusively as a backup, most recently as a third-down back because he was solid as far as picking up the blitz to protect Eli Manning, and also adept at catching passes out of the backfield. Ware, though, didn’t do much in training camp or in the preseason – he averaged 2.9 yards with his 17 rushing attempts – and he didn’t make the final cut. Another player with a Super Bowl ring, second-year linebacker Greg Jones, also was waived." Read more...

SITE LINK

THE BERGEN RECORD

SITE LINK

NEW YORK TIMES

SITE LINK

WALL STREET JOURNAL

SITE LINK

GIANTS 101

GIANTS' CB BRUCE JOHNSON PLACED ON IR

Excerpt: "The New York Giants have placed cornerback Bruce Johnson on the injured reserve (IR) with a shoulder injury, as the team continues to finalize the 53-man roster that will take the field next Wednesday against Dallas. This will be the third time Johnson has been placed on the IR throughout his career, and the second instance in which he will miss an entire season." Read more...

GREG JONES, DJ WARE, DWAYNE HENDRICKS AMONG PLAYERS CUT BY GIANTS

Excerpt: "For the second time in a week, players across the NFL are crossing their fingers and hoping for the best. Unfortunately, many dreams are again being shattered and careers derailed as the business side of the league takes center stage. Teams have until 9:00 PM EST today to trim their rosters down to 53, and as expected, many of their names have already been filtered out to the media." Read more...

SITE LINK

BIG BLUE VIEW...

CUT-DOWN DAY: "BUBBLE" PLAYERS ANXIOUSLY AWAIT THEIR FATE

Today is cut-down day in the NFL as teams have to reach the 53-man roster limit by 9 p.m. ET. That makes this an incredibly nervous day for many players throughout the league.
    How are some of those 'bubble' players on the New York Giants handling the wait?Andre Brown has been through this in each of the past two seasons, and has been waived eight times in his career by five different teams. He calls himself a "bad expert" on the topic."I’ll probably go watch a movie or something. I’m going to be looking at the phone and just hope and pray that I’m coming in here and getting ready for Dallas," Brown said.Brown, a 2009 fourth-round pick by the Giants who has only two regular-season carries (for Denver in 2010), thinks he did everything he could to make the active roster."I feel very comfortable. I feel very good with my ability and that I came out there and I produced what I did. I was out there on special teams. I did pretty good there. On offense, I picked up my blocks. I was solid in my protection and I feel as though I put my best foot forward," Brown said." Read more...

NY GIANTS' NEWS AND NOTES: CUT-DOWN DAY EDITION

Good morning,
    New York Giants
    fans! Here is today's 53-man roster cut-down day notebook." Read more...

NEW YORK GIANTS PRE-SEASON IN REVIEW: STATS, ANALYSIS, AND REVIEW

The preseason is over for the New York Giants. Let's take a look back at the 2-2 preseason, focusing on some of the position battles and whether or not some of the questions that were out there when preseason started have been answered.

First, a look at the preseason statistical leaders:" Read more...

SITE LINK

GMENHQ

SITE LINK

YARDBARKER.COM

SUPER BOWL CHAMPION GIANTS HJAVE BIG O CAPABILITY

Excerpt: "Coming into the season, Tom Coughlin has asked his New York Giants to bridge the six-game run that carried them to their second Super Bowl win in five seasons into the 2012 season that kicks off Wednesday against Dallas.
    Coughlin knows the Giants can't afford another 9-7 regular season if they want to become the ninth team - the Steelers did it twice - to win consecutive titles. Make no mistake though, this team can join the club.
    Two-time Super Bowl MVP Eli Manning is coming off a career-best season and is improving. The defensive line can make life miserable for any opponent with All-Pro end Jason Pierre-Paul,Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiora. What many don't realize is the Giants might have even more weapons this year." Read more...

PRINCE AMUKAMARA MAY MISS NEXT WEEK'S OPENER

Excerpt: "New York Giants cornerback Prince Amukamara will likely miss next week’s season opener. He believes he’ll have a better shot of playing in week two." Read more...

SITE LINK

INSIDE FOOTBALL

SITE LINK

THE RED ZONE

SITE LINK

GIANTSFOOTBALLBLOG

SITE LINK

NFL.COM

PLAYER TRANSACTIONS FOR AUGUST 2012

SITE LINK

SI.COM

SITE LINK

ESPN

IT;S NERVOUS TIME FOR MANY YOUNG GIANTS

Excerpt: "he preseason is finally over. But before the Giants move on in earnest to start preparing for the Cowboys next Wednesday, one more important thing needs to happen:

Cuts.

More specifically, the Giants need to trim their roster from 75 players to 53, prior to 9 p.m. Friday.

General manager Jerry Reese, head coach Tom Coughlin and the rest of his staff have some very tough decisions to make in the next 24 hours or so.

"I feel that we put a solid group of guys together," said running back Andre Brown on Thursday. "It’s hard for them to make the choices upstairs." Read more...

GIANTS' NICKS ON HIS HEALTH, COWBOYS, AND MORE

Excerpt: "Giants wide receiver Hakeem Nicks was a guest on ESPN New York 98.7 FM's Stephen A. Smith & Ryan Ruocco on Thursday, one day after making his return to the team in the preseason finale against the Patriots." Read more...

SITE LINK

NBCSPORTS

SITE LINK

CBSSPORTS

SITE LINK

FOXSPORTS

SITE LINK

YAHOOSPORTS

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLWEEKLY

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLFOCUS

NFC EAST: 4 QUESTIONS, 4 ANALYSTS

Excerpt: "The one constant in the NFC East over recent history has been change at the top. Perennially one of the NFL’s toughest division titles to win, the Cowboys, Eagles, and last year’s Super Bowl champ Giants have each twice worn the crown over the past six years–with none able to repeat the feat since Philadelphia’s run at the top ended in 2005.

All three look to again be poised to contend, and even the Redskins, who haven’t won the title since 1999, have reason for excitement with the arrival of rookie QB Robert Griffin III. Can a breakout player or a standout rookie be the determining factor? Our analysts check in with their picks." Read more...

##

SITE LINK

FOOTBALLOUTSIDERS

SITE LINK

MISCELLANEOUS

NFL IN NEGOTIATIONS WITH OFFICIALS FRIDAY

##
    JAY RATLIFF GETS SOME WORK IN

JEFF LAUIRE WILL EVALUATE ANDY REID'S CONTRACT AFTER THE SEASON

JETS' OWNER: YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH TEBOW

NFLPA APPROVES NEW IR RULE, TRADE DEADLINE

Excerpt: "Just in time for NFL teams to have to make decisions on how to structure their 53-man regular-season rosters, the NFLPA has finally approved the new Injured Reserve rule and the change to the trade deadline that were OK'd by owners during the offseason, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.

Per Schefter "Teams now will be allowed to re-activate one player from Reserve/Injured during the 2012 season, subject to certain restrictions." Read more...

2012 - 2013 NFL SCHEDULE

Excerpt: "On Wednesday, the NFL released a calendar of its most important dates of the 2012-13 season. Without further ado, here it is (feel free to bookmark and return as often as you need).

Notice that the trade deadline is still in Week 6 and not in Week 8 like the NFL originally wanted (I guess, at this point,all hope has been lost for 2012).

August 31--Roster cut-down to maximum of 53 players on Active/Inactive List prior to 9:00 p.m., New York time. Clubs may dress minimum of 43 and maximum of 46 players for each regular season and postseason game.

September 1--Claiming period for players placed on waivers at the final roster reduction will expire at 12:00 noon, New York time.

September 1--Beginning at 12:00 noon, New York time, clubs may establish a Practice Squad of eight players by signing free agents who do not have an accrued season of free agency credit or who were on the 46-player Active List for less than nine regular season games during each of any Accrued Seasons. A player cannot participate on the Practice Squad for more than three seasons.

September 4 -- Deadline at 4:00 p.m., New York time, for all NFL Player Contracts, Practice Player Contracts, tender offers, and miscellaneous amounts to fit within each club's 2012 Salary Cap, in anticipation of the midnight expiration of the Top 51 Rule.

September 5 -- At 12:00 a.m., New York time, the Top 51 Rule expires for all NFL Clubs.

September 5 -- Deadline for Clubs to submit written request to receive up to $1.5 million in additional Salary Cap Room for the 2012 League Year, in accordance with CBA Article 11, Section 5(e)(ii).

Last edited by RoanokeFan; 08-31-2012 at 07:32 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Bench Player
    Thanks for the info!

almost down to 53 and Dallas on the way.....LOOKOUT!!!!!!
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Starter
    I thought Douglas had a shot, not in love with keeping JJ.
    I don't have to make the decisions.
    Thanks, will check back later for the final 53.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovaz View Post
    Thanks for the info!
    You are very welcome
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    almost down to 53 and Dallas on the way.....LOOKOUT!!!!!!
    Glad we have Hixon and Ojomo onboard

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by Old Giant View Post
    I thought Douglas had a shot, not in love with keeping JJ.
    I don't have to make the decisions.
    Thanks, will check back later for the final 53.
    Case of the draft pick vs the undrafted

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Glad we have Hixon and Ojomo onboard
    me too....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Starter
    Thanks RF! Agree about Ojomo. The Ware cut was surprising but it makes me think the coaching staff has faith in David Wilson going forward.

ALL-IN!

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    me too....
    Now I'm pulling for Will Hill

# 80