+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can we get the plays in ON TIME?!!

As I've mellowed with age, I don't scream or throw things at the TV anymore. But it drives me into an apoplectic seizure every time Eli has to piss away a perfectly good timeout because the play clock is running down.

I mean, COME ON!! We have a veteran QB working with the same staff for the past 9 years. This sort of thing should happen maybe once or twice a season, not once or twice a game. And I don't want to hear from the Gilbride haters that it's all his fault. This is a solvable problem and Coughlin has let it continue systemically for too long. It's everybody's fault, including Eli.

I'm not even asking for the Giants to go no-huddle, even though Eli is masterful at running it. It's a weapon Coughlin rarely chooses to use. Fine, I got it. But when you take every second off the play clock, all you do is give the opposing defense time to breathe and make substitutions. There's a broad trend in the NFL toward running plays quickly and you will see more of it this year, especially against the Giants.

How many times this year will I hear a booth guy say, "there's just no excuse for that"?

Eli likes everything to be perfect

Eli lkes to be like his brother and audible a lot.......thats what is causing it and unfortunately its unavoidable if you are going to do that

Omaha!!!!!

I'm not sure it has anything to do with "geting the plays in." Eli can, and does, audible based upon the defense he sees when they break the huddle. Gilbride has said in the past that sometimes you just have to go for it and not over think it. Eli takes time to make sure he knows what's coming and now and then we lose to the play clock.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

i think its gonna be bad for every team this season cuz i've noticed the refs are HORRIBLE with control of the game clock. They never reset it correctly or basically just ensure its functioning correctly.
    Even on the D.O.G we got earlier this preseason, I could SWEAR Eli got that snap off according to how it was called last season.

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    i think its gonna be bad for every team this season cuz i've noticed the refs are HORRIBLE with control of the game clock. They never reset it correctly or basically just ensure its functioning correctly.
    Even on the D.O.G we got earlier this preseason, I could SWEAR Eli got that snap off according to how it was called last season.
    The play clock starts upon the signals, audible and visual, from the official on the field. It's for a set period of time depending on the circumstances at the time:

" In the NFL teams have 40 seconds timed from the end of the previous down, or 25 seconds after the ball is declared ready for play after certain administrative stoppages and game delays."

It really is on the team with the ball to get the play started within the alloted time.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Excellent point.

When Sean Payton was Offensive Coordinator, the plays were often available at lightening speed. I've been waiting since to see that kind of discipline involved in the offensive players quickly huddling up, getting the call, moving up to the line of scrimmage, and having plenty of time to audible.

On the flip side, you have to acknowledge that the more time there is to call a play, it could substantially improve the result of that play with a few moments more to think it through, so it's more of a 50-50 proposition when you think about it.

As Eli gets more experience in identifying defenses, this year may be a breakout one for no huddle. And also, since it is recognized by the coaching staff that the team needs to do a better job of hiding tendencies, particularly against division opponents, it might also lend to more no huddle vs. the cowboys in the opener.
    Last edited by GreenZone; 09-01-2012 at 12:24 PM.

im just the opposite, i yell at the TV, but after the game i realize that it's part of our approach .... we want to have the right play for the defence even if it means sometimes having to use 1 or 2 timeouts a half for that strategy

we always seem to have, at least, 1 left for 2 min. drills, so it's not a disaster like many would have you think
    Apologize to Melo 5

Quote Originally Posted by krygny View Post
    I'm not even asking for the Giants to go no-huddle, even though Eli is masterful at running it. It's a weapon Coughlin rarely chooses to use. Fine, I got it. But when you take every second off the play clock, all you do is give the opposing defense time to breathe and make substitutions. There's a broad trend in the NFL toward running plays quickly and you will see more of it this year, especially against the Giants.
    Eli's audibles basically nullify the advantage that making substitutions offers.