+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pass rush to offset cornerbacks?

No offense to Mark Collins, Myron Guyton, Greg Jackson, etc...but the killer pass rush of the LT & co. days certainly helped the secondary back then. With the pass rush of the D-line does anyone think that can help the corners we'll see across from Webster? I know Hosley has promise but concerned with Prince, Coe, & Tryon. Ross did hold up as a savvy veteran when TT/Prince were unavailable and there's no veteran to step in this time around.

I've been a Giants fan since 77" & the Giants defense has always been about great LBers & great defensive linemen, the secondary has never really been a top unit & really has never had to be due to the front office's ability to always make sure the front 7 are full of studs. Give any NFL QB more than 3-4 seconds to survey the field & I don't care how great your secondary is, he will find an open reciever. It's not by accident that Brady doesn't pass lights out against us or the Ravens. The Giants & Ravens have what many teams lack when playing the Patriots, the front 7 that can punch Brady in the mouth & give him "happy" feet .

IMO, this Giants front 7 is better than last yr & will more than compensate for our secondary.

Mais oui!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No one remembers who came in second.

Collins was great BTW, but to your point ... CBs are no longer allowed to even breathe on the WRs without getting a 50 yard penalty, so the smart teams go after the QB to win ... we are thankfully one of those smart teams ... still having both would be awesome ... just seems hard to make happen
    Apologize to Melo 5

Webster - 2nd
    Thomas - 2nd
    Prince - 1st
    Phillips - 1st
    Ross - 1st
    Hosley - 3rd
    Even add Rolle and his lucrative contract for a former 8th overall pick.

Pretty sure the Giants are looking for a lockdown secondary to pair with a dominant pass rush, and not simply have one offset the other. I'm hoping for the same as well.

Will Allen was the biggest flop of them all. Webster is above average, but the only two pro-browl caliber corners the Giants have had since the late 1960s were Collins and Sehorn before their respective injuries. That's a total of 3 years between the two of them, and covering the past 45 years of Giants football. Not exactly a great track record. Fortunately, our front 7 has been loaded with all-pros, and have done a pretty effective job of offsetting the average, at best, secondary.

Having said all that, Webster is above-average, and we have one of the best safety duos in the NFL in Rolle and Phillips. Our problems are at the other corner and at nickle....but we're strong at the other 9 1/2 defensive positions (though our LBs could improve a bit in pass coverage).

I hated both of the Wills. I took them out because I could have just kept going and adding DBs back to Shaun Williams, Philippi, Thomas Randolph etc etc. But the point is the emphasis on the defense is not always reliant on the front seven. I think they've just been more fortunate [and efficient] in obtaining talent at the defensive line positions opposed to the back end. Based on recent drafts, you have to think they desperately want coverage to be as dominant as pass rushing. One reason why they really pursued Thomas who's extremely versatile on the team that ran the most Nickel.
    Last edited by penguinfarmer; 09-01-2012 at 11:20 PM.

I don't think so. Any kind of weakness will be exposed eventually. Pretty much every regular season there is a handful of games where this pass rush gets gassed and under-performs while the DBs simultaneously get shredded apart. We need players to make plays.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrown View Post
    No offense to Mark Collins, Myron Guyton, Greg Jackson, etc...but the killer pass rush of the LT & co. days certainly helped the secondary back then. With the pass rush of the D-line does anyone think that can help the corners we'll see across from Webster? I know Hosley has promise but concerned with Prince, Coe, & Tryon. Ross did hold up as a savvy veteran when TT/Prince were unavailable and there's no veteran to step in this time around.
    Mark Collins was an excellent corner, and Terry Kinard was a very good safety.

Perry Williams was also a decent corner.

Elvis Patterson was another story.....

Not to take anything away from the currents Giants defense.....but that 1986 Giants defense was flat out ****ing scary. You couldn't run on them....PERIOD. And passing on them wasn't easy, either.

I like Perry Fewell, but Bill Belichick was the best defensive coordinator I've EVER seen.......that guy would figure out what the opponent did in the 1st half, and take it away in the 2nd.
    Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 09-02-2012 at 01:02 AM.

A great pass rush will def draw attention away from the 2ndary's problems. It wont fix our problems in the 2ndary but it will def help us forget about them for the time being.
    Round1: AA-Ron Donald, DT, Pitt
    Round2: Kareem Martin, UNC, DE
    Round3: Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
    Round4: Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
    Round5: Cyril Richardson, OG, Baylor
    Round5: Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers