+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post News, notes, rumors, and gossip: Sunday, September 2, 2012

HERE NOW THE NEWS

EXCERPTS FROM EXTERNAL NEWS ARTICLES REGARDING THE NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS ARE POSTED UNDER THEIR SOURCES. MISCELLANEOUS SPORTS ARTICLES ARE POSTED UNDER THE "MISCELLANEOUS" SECTION AT THE END OF THE THREAD. LINKS FOR ALL LISTED SOURCES ARE INCLUDED TO ALLOW MEMBERS TO INDEPENDENTLY BROWSE AT THEIR LEISURE.

NEWARK STAR LEDGER.

PERRY FEWELL PLEASANTLY "SURPRISED" WITH ADEWALE OJOMO

Excerpt: "
    Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell read what you read this week:Adewale Ojomo said he was going to get a few more sacks.
    “He has a lot of confidence in himself: ‘Hey I did it last week, I’m going to do it this week.’ And I’m kind of saying to myself, ‘Yeah, right. Okay,’” Fewell said this afternoon. “And he goes out andhe does it and I’m like, ‘Holy smokes.’” Read more...

GIANTS' KEVIN GILBRIDE SAYS DOMENIK HIXON IS THE # 3 WIDE RECEIVER

Excerpt: "It was, for the second straight season, one of the few position battles entering Giants training camp.
    Who will emerge as the third wide receiver?And for the second consecutive year it's Domenik Hixon."Right now, yeah," offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride said when asked.Hixon won the role last August after Steve Smith's departure to the Philadelphia Eagles. He caught two passes for 21 yards in the season opener against the Washington Redskins and added two more receptions for 31 yards the next week against the St. Louis Rams." Read more...

##

GIANTS' HAKEEM NICKS NOT PRACTICING TODAY

Hakeem Nicks said on Saturday he has no concern over any pain in his foot and

the fact he was practicing was an indication of such.

Well, guess what? Nicks is not practicing today.The Giants' wide receiver, who continues to work his way back from a broken foot suffered in the spring, was not wearing shoulder pads as he stood near the offense during drills today. It's the second day of practices in advance of Wednesday's regular-season opener against the Dallas Cowboys, which means Nicks has one more day of practice before the game.It would seem Nicks is still likely to play. Tom Coughlin will update on his condition after practice." Read more...

POLITI: ELI MANNING VOWS NOT TO GET COMPLACENT WITH HIS SUCCESS

Eli Manning is fighting complacency. How’s that for a sentence you never thought you’d read a few years ago?
    But it’s true, and all things considered, understandable. He has two Super Bowl titles in his first eight seasons. He obliterated the franchise’s single-season record for passing yards last year. He is in the prime of his career, in an offensive system he has mastered, with the best weapons he’s ever had.And, in case his fans forget how lucky they are, the other team in town has a quarterback controversy that’s turning into a punt-a-thon. As Giants back-up David Carr so eloquently put it, “The best thing that could happen to us is the Jets being in the same city.” Read more...

VICTOR CRUZ TAKING NOTES ON OPPONENTS WHO TRASH TALK ABOUT HIM

Excerpt: "In the spring, shortly after signing a $50 million deal with the Dallas Cowboys, cornerback Brandon Carr basically said Victor Cruz won’t be doing his signature celebration anywhere near him.
    “All that salsa dancing, that’s fine, but you’ve got to come through me,” Carr said during an appearance on ESPN. “I don’t plan on seeing no dancing.”To which Cruz replied, “I understand guys are going to talk, but it’s only April, man.” Read more...

GIANTS' NOTEBOOK: MARTELLUS BENNET DOING HIS BEST TO GET CLOSE TO ELI MANNING

In his four years in Dallas, Martellus Bennett witnessed the type of relationship tight end Jason Witten and Tony Romo developed. The duo became best friends off the field and a productive unit on it. Bennett, Witten’s backup, never had that type of friendship with Romo, but he’s trying his best to hatch one with Eli Manning.
    “It’s like having a new girlfriend,” Bennett said. “You want to go to dinner dates to get to know her better and have a good conversation with her. If he’s sitting down at lunch and there’s like four people sitting at the table, I just pull an extra chair and make the extra room, sit next to him. Even if we just talk about life.”Bennett said he texts Manning often, sometimes at odd hours, to cultivate the friendship even if it’s, ‘Hey, I am happy to be your teammate.’" Read more...

GIANTS' ROOKIE DAVID WILSON ENTERING SEASON WITH LIST OF GOALS

The Giants used their first-round draft pick on David Wilson, hoping the former Virginia Tech running back can help boost their ground game from last year's last-in-the-NFL rank.

Turns out, the rookie has some expectations of his own, too.
    Wilson said he wrote out a list of goals for the season yesterday, five days before the Giants' season opener against the Cowboys. He sheepishly admitted that he doesn't have a printer, so he asked position coach Jerald Ingram to type it up and print it out for him today. Wilson plans to hang the paper in his locker. What's on the list?" Read more...

GIANTS ATTEMPTED TO CLAIM SAFETY SERGIO BROWN, TACKLE WILLIE SMITH OFF WAIVERS

The Giants claimed offensive tackle D.J. Jones off waivers earlier today. He wasn't the only one they went after.
    According to someone informed of the NFL transactions, the team put in claims for two other players: safety Sergio Brown and offensive tackle Willie Smith." Read more...

FORMER GIANTS' RUNNING BACK DJ WARE SIGNS WITH TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

Former Giants running back D.J. Ware,released by the team on Friday, has signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the team and Ware's agency have announced.
    Ware, who lost out to Andre Brown and Da'Rel Scott for the final spots behind Ahmad Bradshaw and David Wilson on the Giants' roster, will join former Giants quarterbacks coach Mike Sullivan in Tampa.Sullivan was a Giants assistant coach from 2004 through this past season and is now the Buccaneers' offensive coordinator." Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

FORGET THE NY JETS, DALLAS COWBOYS ARE THE GIANTS' REAL "LITTLE BROTHER"

'If we can just extend our play from last year the way we played against them -- we got a pretty good beat on what they like to do. We just want to continue to play well, play the same way we've been playing and take it from there,' said Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz." Read more...

##

GIANTS' QB ELI MANNING HAS TWO SUPER BOWL RINGS BUT DOESN'T APPEAR TO BE FINISHED YET

Excerpt: "Eli Manning needed only eight years to win two Super Bowl rings - only Joe Montana, Terry Bradshaw, Troy Aikman and Tom Brady have won more - and as he enters the prime years of his career, he admits he has to fight off the urge to feel satisfied.

When the Giants pulled off the biggest trade in their history on draft day in 2004 to get Manning from the Chargers, it’s a given Big Blue would have signed off right there on a contract that guaranteed them Manning would win two titles in his career.

Now that he’s won two and he’s only 31 years old, the Giants want more. Manning wants more. I asked him Saturday if there is a danger of feeling satisfied. Not the team feeling satisfied, but Eli personally. I didn’t expect him to talk around this subject, but he was forthcoming." Read more...

NY Giants trying to repeat as Super Bowl champions at the start of another season where NY Jets getting the headlines

John Mara says that 'No. 10 and our coach' give Big Blue the chance to win every week. That's a pairing that has given New York two of the most exciting wins - across all sports - in the history of the city." Read more...

GIANTS' MICHAEL BOLEY SAYS HE WILL PLAY IN SEASON OPENER AGAINST DALLAS

Michael Boley has been sidelined with a hamstring injury most of the summer and hasn’t played a single down in any preseason game. But he’s hoping to make his debut on Wednesday night in the season opener.

“I feel like I’ll be ready,” he said." Read more...

SITE LINK

THE NEW YORK POST.

HEALING GIANTS SHIFT FOCUS TO RIVAL DALLAS COWBOYS

Justin Tuck, Jason Pierre-Paul and Osi Umenyiora all sat out practice last week with, respectively, aches and pains to their shoulder, back and knee. Miraculously, all three were on the field yesterday.
    Out in Irving, Texas, tight end Jason Witten worked with his teammates, though he’s dealing with a lacerated spleen and the Cowboys haven’t even issued him medical clearance.
    Rosters are (mostly) set, Labor Day is around the corner and the summer mindset is gone, replaced by the welcome reality that in four days the Giants as defending Super Bowl champions — but hardly 2012 Super Bowl favorites — get the honor, as reigning kings of the NFL, of kicking off the new season with a prime-time midweek opener. That it’s the Cowboys coming to MetLife Stadium makes this curtain-raiser all the more attractive." Read more...

GIANTS' COACH: THOMAS ON IR WAS IN BEST INTEREST OF ALL

Tom Coughlin did not shed much light on the decision to put cornerback Terrell Thomas on season-ending injured reserve, saying on Saturday that the move was based on two key factors.

“I’m just gonna make a simple statement which is not an answer to something as complex as that,’’ Coughlin said. “We felt in the best interest of the player and the team that this was the direction we should go with both Shaun Rogers and Terrell Thomas. Certainly it’s a difficult thing.

“We have to think not only in the best interest of the player but also of the club and exactly where we’re at.’’ Read more...

SERBY'S SUNDAY Q & A WITH MARTELLUS BENNETT

New Giants tight end Martellus Bennett, who faces his former team in Wednesday’s opener vs. the Cowboys, blocked out some time for a Q&A session with Post columnist Steve Serby.

Q: How much of an impact do you think you can make with Eli Manning as your quarterback?

A: I think we can be huge. I gotta keep growing though. I’m still learning the offense. I’m still learning some different things that he likes. It’s like when you first start a relationship with somebody, like you’re dating somebody, you don’t really know her that well. The more you go to dinner, the more time you spend, you start to know their likes, their dislikes, what makes them comfortable and uncomfortable, so I think we’re still at the first stages of our relationship as if we were dating." Read more...

BOLEY, BEATTY, AND HOSLEY COULD ALL PLAY IN GIANTS' OPENER

Boley, Beatty and Hosley all on the mend

The Giants are getting healthier at the right time, with two starters and a rookie who figures to be a key reserve all making strides to get on the field for Wednesday night’s season opener against the Cowboys.
    Linebacker Michael Boley, left tackle Will Beatty and cornerback Jayron Hosley all participated enough in Saturday’s practice to fuel the optimism.
    Boley rarely got any work on the field this summer because of a strained hamstring but he said he ran hard and got in a few reps, enough to say he’s ready to go." Read more...

SITE LINK

THE BERGEN RECORD

Sullivan: Eli Manning has what Tony Romo needs, knowing how to be a winner

Excerpt: "Every year, the starting quarterback for America’s Team comes under this same scrutiny, answering the same questions about winning an elusive NFL championship, facing the same interrogation whether his 32-year-old arm finally can climb through a window of opportunity that is threatening to slam shut. Romo knows there is only one way to stop the annual inquisition, and over time, he’s trained himself to accept his inquisitors with equanimity.

But when he takes the MetLife Stadium field Wednesday night to take the first step of his latest quest for a Super Bowl win, Romo will look across the field and once again see the man who has what he doesn’t." Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK TIMES

SITE LINK

WALL STREET JOURNAL

SITE LINK

GIANTS 101

GIANTS' WILL HILL PUTTING IN EXTRA EFFORT TO BETTER HIMSELF ON AND OFF THE FIELD

Excerpt: "Will Hill has faced a tumultuous last several seasons in his football career. In 2010, he was suspended from Florida University and then went undrafted in 2011. Last season he had to settle for playing for the Arizona Rattlers of the Arena Football League. But now he has finally made it in the NFL as a member of the New York Giants after surviving the final roster cuts, proving hard work does pay off." Read more...

GIANTS' PRINCE AMUKAMARA LIKELY OUT WEDNESDAY; WILL BEATTY, MICHAEL BOLEY RETURN TO PRACTICE

Excerpt: "In one of the first revelation of the regular season, New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin told reporters on Saturday that cornerback Prince Amukamara (ankle) is unlikely to play in their week one matchup against the Dallas Cowboys." Read more...

SITE LINK

BIG BLUE VIEW...

GIANTS VS COWBOYS INJURY REPORT

Here is your official injury report from Sunday's practice as the New York Giants prepare to open the season against the Dallas Cowboys on Wednesday night." Read more...

##

GIANTS' INJURY NOTES: COUGHLIN EXPLAINS THOMAS DECISION

It was difficult not to root for Terrell Thomas to make a successful comeback to the New York Giants this season, even after he aggravated his twice-torn ACL early in training camp. He is a likable guy, one who appreciates the fans, and when healthy was a very good player." Read more...

GIANTS' ROSTER MOVES: MITCH PETRUS WAIVED, PRACTICE SQUAD ANNOUNCED

There were reports on Friday that the New York Times were trying to trade for offensive line help. That did not come to fruition, but the Giants did make a move on their offensive line on Saturday. The team waived third-year guard Mitch Petrus, who was a disappointment during the preseason, and was awarded offensive tackle DJ Jonesoff waivers from the Philadelphia Eagles.." Read more...

GIANTS UNFAZED BY NEW LOOK DALLAS DEFENSE

Excerpt: "If the Giants’ passing offense, which last year in two games torched the Cowboys defense for 746 yards and five touchdowns, caused the Cowboys to go out this of-season and improve their defensive secondary, then they’re taking no credit.

Instead, the Giants are looking ahead to this week’s game against the Cowboys whom they have beaten in six of the last eight meetings, the most recent victory being a 31-14 decision at MetLife Stadium which gave New York the division title.

This year, however, the Cowboys, who are sporting new cornerbacks (Brandon Carr and rookie Morris Claiborne) are looking to curtail the effectiveness of quarterback Eli Manning, who completed 63.7 percent of his pass attempts last year against them, and company.They’ve done some things with their personnel. They made some changes along those lines, their draft choices, what they’ve done in free agency, how they’ve gone about their business in terms of that – two guards, two corners, two guards, just to name a few,” said head coach Tom Coughlin. “They’ve looked at the areas that they felt needed to be addressed and they’ve gone ahead and addressed them.” Read more...

SITE LINK

GMENHQ

SITE LINK

YARDBARKER.COM

GIANTS' TOP FOUR SURPRISES WITH FINAL ROSTER

Excerpt: "The New York Giants shocked a lot of fans and sports writers (including myself) with some of the roster moves this week.I’ve listed my top four surprise moves by the Giants and by no means am I criticizing the moves.As a Giants fan and sports writer, I had my own take on what the final roster would look like (along with many other writers and fans that follow the Giants)." Read more...

NFL 2012: PREVIEWING AND PREDICTING THE SEASON

Can you feel it? The excitement, the anticipation, the overwhelming joyous feeling that is the start of the 2012 NFL season?
    Week 1 is perhaps the second most special week in the entire pro football season, behind only Super Bowl week. Why, you ask? It’s a matter of hope. Every team, regardless of what the experts, pundits, and bloggers (such as myself) say, “has a chance.” This week, every team’s fans hold the hope that their team could be this year’s “it” team. The one team that no one expected to be any good that turns on that mythical switch and challenges for - or even winning (or repeating, for you Giants fans) – the Super Bowl. A beautiful fiction to be sure, but no matter how far-stretched that hope is, it still exists this week, and this week only." Read more...

SITE LINK

INSIDE FOOTBALL

LOCKLEAR HOLDING HIS OWN AT LT

Excerpt: "Giants offensive tackle Sean Locklear, a journeyman who has been with three NFL teams over his nine-year NFL career, is quickly showing the coaches that his accumulated experience is more than sufficient in helping to protect quarterback Eli Manning’s blind side.

“He’s been what we’ve hoped for,” said offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride. “He hasn’t hurt us in the pass game at all. His protection’s been excellent– he’s been one of the better performers in pass protection. He’s still learning some of the things with the run game and the way we do it, so I think he’ll get better. When we’ve erred, it’s not been something that he did that hurt us. I’ve been very pleased with him.”

##

SITE LINK

THE RED ZONE

SITE LINK

GIANTSFOOTBALLBLOG

SITE LINK

NFL.COM

SITE LINK

SI.COM

SITE LINK

ESPN

NICKS, CRUZ, MANNING LOOKING TO HURT DALLAS AGAIN

Excerpt: "New York Giants receiver Hakeem Nicks stood at his locker and didn't even wait for the question to be asked.

''I'm playing, period,'' Nicks said emphatically after being held out of Sunday's practice for the NFL kickoff Wednesday night against the Dallas Cowboys.
    Just hours earlier there was some concern when Nicks rode a stationary bike as the Super Bowl champions stretched, and then he watched the workout.Was the right foot that he broke this spring acting up?" Read more...

##

STATE OF THE OFFENSE: HIXON STARTS AT WR3

Excerpt: "Offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride confirmed that Domenik Hixon will start as the third wide receiver as expected.

Hixon has started as the third wideout the entire camp, and the Giants trust the veteran and know what they have with him.

"Right now, yeah," Gilbride said when asked if Hixon was the starter. "He’s a consummate pro. He’s always going to know exactly what to do. He’s always going to be technically very, very sound. He’s very dependable."

"You can trust that he’ll do the right thing and right now, there’s no evidence that there’s any residual limitations because of his injury," Gilbride added of Hixon, who is returning from consecutive seasons with torn ACLs. "Anything we’ve seen has been very positive from him." Read more...

INJURY REPORT: NICKS SAYS HE WILL PLAY

Hakeem Nicks was held out of practice on Sunday as a precaution.

Head coach Tom Coughlin said Nicks felt sore but expects the receiver to practice on Monday. And Nicks says he will play against the Dallas Cowboys on Wednesday night.

"I'm playing," Nicks said. "You don't have to ask me no questions. I'm playing." Read more...

##

NICKS RESTS AT START OF PRACTICE

Excerpt: "Wide receiver Hakeem Nicks was on the side at the start of Sunday's practice, perhaps resting his surgically-repaired toe.

Nicks is expected to play on Wednesday against Dallas and could just be resting in preparation for the game. The Giants will update the status of their injured players after practice but Nicks was seen with tight end Travis Beckum (knee), cornerback Prince Amukamara (ankle), defensive tackle Chris Canty (knee) and offensive lineman James Brewer (back) on the side during the portion open to the media." Read more...

NOTEBOOK: BOLEY RETURNS TO PRACTICE

Excerpt: "Linebacker Michael Boley will return to practice Saturday after missing much of the preseason with a hamstring injury.

Coach Tom Coughlin also said left tackle Will Beatty (back) will work this weekend in an effort to play against the Cowboys on Wednesday. Several other Giants with injuries are going to practice as well, including defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul (back).

Cornerback Jayron Hosley (toe) is expected to at least do individual work Saturday, and the team will see how he feels afterward.

"We are going to see what he is like," Coughlin said. "It is more of a test than anything else. Is there a level of pain tolerance?" Read more...

SITE LINK

NBCSPORTS

SITE LINK

CBSSPORTS

SITE LINK

FOXSPORTS

SITE LINK

YAHOOSPORTS

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLWEEKLY

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLFOCUS

SITE LINK

FOOTBALLOUTSIDERS

SITE LINK

MISCELLANEOUS

REFEREES AND NFL TRY AND FAIL TO REACH AN AGREEMENT

2012 - 2013 NFL SCHEDULE

Excerpt: "On Wednesday, the NFL released a calendar of its most important dates of the 2012-13 season. Without further ado, here it is (feel free to bookmark and return as often as you need).

Notice that the trade deadline is still in Week 6 and not in Week 8 like the NFL originally wanted (I guess, at this point,all hope has been lost for 2012).

September 4 -- Deadline at 4:00 p.m., New York time, for all NFL Player Contracts, Practice Player Contracts, tender offers, and miscellaneous amounts to fit within each club's 2012 Salary Cap, in anticipation of the midnight expiration of the Top 51 Rule.

September 5 -- At 12:00 a.m., New York time, the Top 51 Rule expires for all NFL Clubs.

September 5 -- Deadline for Clubs to submit written request to receive up to $1.5 million in additional Salary Cap Room for the 2012 League Year, in accordance with CBA Article 11, Section 5(e)(ii).

Last edited by RoanokeFan; 09-02-2012 at 08:43 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

thanks Buddy
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

thanks rf,...... bearded ghost lmao ...i like bennet i hope he produces and doesnt live up to what the cowgirls say on giving up as season goes on and on routes

Look at that.....working on his bday/Slavor day weekend!! That is dedication!!

It's the wife's bday today!!
    And now, in the interest of equal time, here is a message from the National Institute of Pancakes: It reads, and I quote, “**** waffles.”......G Carlin

A healthy helping of news for us on Labor Day Sunday. Thanks RF, three days and counting!
    No one remembers who came in second.

lol..... Bennet talking about Eli:....'It's like having a new girlfriend" Every time he opens his mouth, I like him better!!

I miss your musk... When this all gets sorted out, I think you and me should get an apartment together!
    Last edited by FBomb; 09-02-2012 at 12:56 PM.
    And now, in the interest of equal time, here is a message from the National Institute of Pancakes: It reads, and I quote, “**** waffles.”......G Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    thanks Buddy
    Getting close now, you can almost smell the overflowing porta johns in the parking lot
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by FBomb View Post
    lol..... Bennet talking about Eli:....'It's like having a new girlfriend" Every time he opens his mouth, I like him better!!
    I was afraid to comment on the "appearances" that conjured up.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    A healthy helping of news for us on Labor Day Sunday. Thanks RF, three days and counting!
    Always good to read about OUR TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by FBomb View Post
    Look at that.....working on his bday/Slavor day weekend!! That is dedication!!

It's the wife's bday today!!
    Please wish her the best best for me. Could I interest her in a Wilson # 34?