+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Returners?

Returners?

Who will be our punt and kickoff returners Wednesday night?

I'd go with Wilson on the kickoffs and Hixon on the punts.

I'm pretty sure Jernigan is going to get first crack at the return duties.

I say Wilson on KO's, and Randle on punts.
    Hixon is our best PR, but theu won't use him because of his value at #3, and due to his injury history... why take a chance? People should never forget Jason Sehorn... extraordinary KO returner in the making... yeah, right.

Quote Originally Posted by zimonami View Post
    I say Wilson on KO's, and Randle on punts.
    Hixon is our best PR, but theu won't use him because of his value at #3, and due to his injury history... why take a chance? People should never forget Jason Sehorn... extraordinary KO returner in the making... yeah, right.
    I understand where you are coming from but I don't agree with it. I think we would both agree that Wilson's long term value to the team is exponentially more valuable than Hixon. Why would the Giants put their future number one running back at risk for the sake of a receiver/ returner who might not even be on the team in two years?

I would try to keep Wilson away from return responsibilities with its higher risk at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by JB456 View Post
    I understand where you are coming from but I don't agree with it. I think we would both agree that Wilson's long term value to the team is exponentially more valuable than Hixon. Why would the Giants put their future number one running back at risk for the sake of a receiver/ returner who might not even be on the team in two years?

I would try to keep Wilson away from return responsibilities with its higher risk at all costs.
    I agree with you, but I don't think the coaching staff does. If they had Wilson returning kicks in meaningless pre-season games, I don't think they're going to hold him back from those duties during the regular season in order to protect him from injury.

I don't understand how if a guy gets hurt from Special Teams, it's a waste of good talent and lack of forsight. But if a guy gets hurt from scrimmage, it's more acceptable.

Either way, the player is doing what he can to help the team, and on any play there's a chance of injury. You have to put your best players on the field always.

If Nicks or Cruz were the best player on the team at returning punts, I'd have no problem putting them in there, a'la DJax.
    Last edited by RagTime Blue; 09-03-2012 at 01:04 AM.

Wilson back to return actually works to his skill set better. He's a back that can make defenders miss and is really good at cuts and staying on his feet... all good traits to have in the wide-open ST game. Don't get me wrong, he'd still be a fantastic RB, but just because he can do one doesn't mean he doesn't have the skill to do the other...

That said, as Wilson assumes more responsibility on our offense, he will subsequently see less return duty.

Jernigan and Scott on kickoffs...Hosley or Hixon on punt returns is my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by RagTime Blue View Post
    I don't understand how if a guy gets hurt from Special Teams, it's a waste of good talent and lack of forsight. But if a guy gets hurt from scrimmage, it's more acceptable.

Either way, the player is doing what he can to help the team, and on any play there's a chance of injury. You have to put your best players on the field always.

If Nicks or Cruz were the best player on the team at returning punts, I'd have no problem putting them in there, a'la DJax.
    The risk for injury on special teams is significant. You have multiple players running at full speed in opposing directions. Wilson wasn't drafted to be a return guy, he was drafted to be the Giants future number one running back. Now, how stupid do you think the coaching staff will feel if Wilson is injured returning the ball? The Giants would be left with an often injured Bradshaw (I love the guy but its true) Brown and Scott (players who haven't shown anything in games that mattered). It would be an absolute disaster.

I realize that injuries happen in football on a daily basis but you should try to protect your stud players.