+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cruz

Cruz

I hear people say all the time that Cruz will have a down year because he did good out of nowhere last year and they'll be ready for him this year. Ever since his breakout game vs. Philly last year in week 3, his worst two games were 2-12(3 weeks later vs. Buf.) and 5-44(Wk. 13 vs. Was) other than that he had seven 100+ yard games, and the rest he had a 74 yard game and four 80-99 yard games. And in the post season he was 21-269 and one TD. So my question is, didn't people figure out who he was last year and despite that he still produced highly. Also, Calvin Johnson had a good year in 2008(78-1331 and 12 TD'S) and the next year he dipped a little but still had a good year(2009 67-984 5TD's) and since then he's had back to back 10+ td years and 1000 yard years and he's still producing at a high level despite being the number one receiver getting number one coverage. Julio Jones was a rookie last year and had an outstanding year and experts are saying he will have an even better year this year. Why aren't they saying that about Cruz? I understand there's a chance he won't have the same stats as last year but I do believe he will be a 1000 yard receiver with 8-12 TD's. Also he will benefit from Nicks getting the number one corner covering him or vice versa. Thoughts?

Cruz is legit......period.
    Will he dulplicate last season?? Prob not. That was a career season for any WR in NFL. But he wil be on fire again...
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by NYGfanNC View Post
    I hear people say all the time that Cruz will have a down year because he did good out of nowhere last year and they'll be ready for him this year. Ever since his breakout game vs. Philly last year in week 3, his worst two games were 2-12(3 weeks later vs. Buf.) and 5-44(Wk. 13 vs. Was) other than that he had seven 100+ yard games, and the rest he had a 74 yard game and four 80-99 yard games. And in the post season he was 21-269 and one TD. So my question is, didn't people figure out who he was last year and despite that he still produced highly. Also, Calvin Johnson had a good year in 2008(78-1331 and 12 TD'S) and the next year he dipped a little but still had a good year(2009 67-984 5TD's) and since then he's had back to back 10+ td years and 1000 yard years and he's still producing at a high level despite being the number one receiver getting number one coverage. Julio Jones was a rookie last year and had an outstanding year and experts are saying he will have an even better year this year. Why aren't they saying that about Cruz? I understand there's a chance he won't have the same stats as last year but I do believe he will be a 1000 yard receiver with 8-12 TD's. Also he will benefit from Nicks getting the number one corner covering him or vice versa. Thoughts?
    As hard as it is for a team to repeat as Super Bowl Champions, so a player's off the charts performance will be difficult to match. But, to me, that's speaking statistically. Does it really matter if he matches his record or surpasses it? But to those who think defenses will somehow adjust their playbook to keep Cruz in check didn't watch the Dallas game last year when he was guarded by three defenders is a scheme Gilbride admitted he had never seen before.

What makes Cruz great is his ability to make vertical cuts while moving horizontally, a trait first highlighted by one of out defensive backs whop had to defend him in practice. Coupled with his ability to often make the first guy miss, I would expect Cruz to continue to use his skill sets improve his game. It's hard to defend against athleticism
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I actually want all passing and receiving numbers to dip by virtue of a better, more efficient running game. Cruz can separate, don't know how that will magically disappear this season.

he had an awful lot of very long runs after catch, and split the defenders quite a few times

Can he do it- yes, will he do it hmmmm

Hopefully our D is so strong now we wont need that kind of magic this year

he wont get the sam yards they will cover him differnt, i would bet he gets alot more catchs, he will play better because know he is doing it covered different, mopre pressure on him now, lots of key 3 down catchs, as far as yards nope...jmho

Cruz is still a beast.

But as others mentioned, definitely don't expect him to have over 1,500 yards again, or as many 50-70 yard TD's. He's going to be covered like the #1 guy. This is why I say expect Hakeem Nicks to have a bigger year.

As my university's football head coach says: "Winners of preseason/regular season statistics get plaques on their wall. Championship football teams win rings and trophies."

BOOM!!!

I think it has to do with the fact that Cruz went undrafted. If he was a 1st rounder, people would be calling last season "the tip of the iceberg".

I'm with the OP on this one.

You can't say that the 49'rs didn't scout and game plan for this guy in the NFCC game. Hogwash!!

Last year was only Act One.

I don't doubt Cruz's abiliy, think with an effort to get the run game going and a dangerous TE in Bennett, just think he will not get as many targets. Given that he will still have over 1000 yds this season!