+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran

Oline may have us living and dying with the big play.

Just like last year, the Oline doesn't seem up to the task of holding up over and maintaining long consistent drives. We may require quick strikes to score else we'll be punting or kicking FGs. I'd love to be wrong and see us be able to grind our some well executed drives where we just work our will down the field - really the only drive we had like that during our playoff run was the very last drive to win - but I just sense our offense may get stuck in constipation mode.

And let's not all kill KG when it does.

I think with Wilson & Bradshaw in the backfield, they may not have to hold their blocks as long. Those 2 can hit the hole extremely fast. Plus teams are not gonna stack the box & dare Eli to throw on them. They leaned that lesson the hard way last yr.

Quote Originally Posted by njsean View Post
    Just like last year, the Oline doesn't seem up to the task of holding up over and maintaining long consistent drives. We may require quick strikes to score else we'll be punting or kicking FGs. I'd love to be wrong and see us be able to grind our some well executed drives where we just work our will down the field - really the only drive we had like that during our playoff run was the very last drive to win - but I just sense our offense may get stuck in constipation mode.

And let's not all kill KG when it does.
    as fans, maybe we should prepare for the worst, but hope for the best when it comes to our O-line?

I look forward to seeing how Locklear handles the start at LT vs the Cowboys Wed night.

I just hope our O-line plays better in the run game this year. I love what Eli did for us last year in the pass game, but it would be a relief to see our run game rank higher than 32nd this season.
    “Winning is a habit. Unfortunately so is losing.”
    -Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Parademon View Post
    I think with Wilson & Bradshaw in the backfield, they may not have to hold their blocks as long. Those 2 can hit the hole extremely fast. Plus teams are not gonna stack the box & dare Eli to throw on them. They leaned that lesson the hard way last yr.
    Problem is they're really not getting any wholes. The Oline has to mprove or we are in trouble in the running game.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Parademon View Post
    The Bears game definitely gave me hope but it isn't just the run game I'm talking about. I mean if we're going to have sustained drives, the pass pro needs consistency too. That's what was so awesome IMO about 08s offense. So often we seemed able to just slowly and methodically work our way down the field both passing and running thanks to the Oline.

The OLine will do its part to make every game an adventure
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    The OLine will do its part to make every game an adventure
    lol...

One way to protect an Oline is to incorporate more short passes into the playbook and use less 7 step drops like we've been doing. Thankfully, we have one of the best QBs in regards to dealing with the pass rush pressure so Eli will cover a lot of holes on this offense with his phenomenal pocket awareness.

Veteran
    I just rewatched the whole playoff run and in each game it seemed like the only tds we scored were on big plays. No long sustained scoring drives. Any time we couldn't get the big play our offense entered that frustrating constipation mode.

So yeah, I hope we do have a more effective short passing game. It would nice for Wilson to evolve into a serious receiving threat to add that backfield element the Saints and Pats use so well.

I say we wait until we play a regular season game before we judge the performance of the O Line

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    lol...

One way to protect an Oline is to incorporate more short passes into the playbook and use less 7 step drops like we've been doing.
    It was nice to see this in preseason and I sure hope it continues, as we really need to get that short game going.
    Be nice to randomly rock in the hurry up for even one or 2 plays, especially if our O-line is getting abused.
    Last edited by OX1; 09-03-2012 at 07:57 PM.