+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Cool Kruunch's Top 15 Takes

A few things I noticed last night:

1) The Cowboys in the second quarter on switched to a quick slant style of dink and dunk. This negated our pass rush (which it is meant to) and also opened up their run game as our LBers backed off to cover the middle ground. Our lack of answer to the slants, opened up their long ball (i.e. Miles Austin TD on 1st and 30). They adjusted very well to our defense and exploited (as they should have) our 3rd string (and 4th string) corner backs.

2) Eli was a tad rusty (the Hixon over throw) but otherwise was Eli. About what I expected for the first game of the season.

3) Cruz had the dropsees. We've seen this from Cruz before (beginning of last year, and in 2010). He self corrected excellently last year and I'd expect him to do this again (one of the things that really impressed me about Cruz last year ... you know, besides the gaudy numbers ).

4) Martelus Bennett, despite having a drop, was and looks to be a HUGE target for Eli going forward. I'm really happy with what I saw out of him.

5) I can't stand the bend-don't-break defenses, but they are in vogue and are effective .... when they can stop a slant from being more than a 5 yard gain. We adjusted last year (albeit late) and I'm sure we'll adjust this year.

6) The middle of our offensive line is a shambles. Our tackles aren't much better. We all knew that our oline is a work-in-progress (there will be suffrage here all year imo). I'm not a David Baas fan at all but we have what we have.

7) CWeb has flip-flopped previous in his career, between being a top 5 CB and being a red-headed step child. Hopefully he returns to the former really soon. We desperately need him to be, given our current depth at CB.

8) The refs didn't do anything that I haven't seen done in previous years. I actually thought they called a really good game (considering the Greek tragedy I was expecting). Yes, the Cruz hold was annoying but I've seen that type of non-call in the end zone a ton.

9) David Wilson needs to suck it up. He's young and emotional .... I think he'll be fine. I would have liked to have seen TC give him the ball again on the following series though.

10) I swear Weatherford is starting to impress me more than Feagles. The guy has a magic leg

11) I thought KG called an excellent game. Lack of execution was the problem in my mind. I would have liked to have seen more screens to Demarcus Ware's side (my armchair OC moment).

12) TC's expression when he was told that Coe was out pretty much sums up my feelings about the Giants' luck (or lack thereof) regarding injuries.

13) Did No Doubt really setup for only one song? What's next ... Las Vegas lounges?

14) The Star Spangled Banner shouldn't be remixed .... even if it's done well. Just a personal opinion.

15) We played like crap generally speaking and we were still in the game at the end. We'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    A few things I noticed last night:

1) The Cowboys in the second quarter on switched to a quick slant style of dink and dunk. This negated our pass rush (which it is meant to) and also opened up their run game as our LBers backed off to cover the middle ground. Our lack of answer to the slants, opened up their long ball (i.e. Miles Austin TD on 1st and 30). They adjusted very well to our defense and exploited (as they should have) our 3rd string (and 4th string) corner backs.

2) Eli was a tad rusty (the Hixon over throw) but otherwise was Eli. About what I expected for the first game of the season.

3) Cruz had the dropsees. We've seen this from Cruz before (beginning of last year, and in 2010). He self corrected excellently last year and I'd expect him to do this again (one of the things that really impressed me about Cruz last year ... you know, besides the gaudy numbers ).

4) Martelus Bennett, despite having a drop, was and looks to be a HUGE target for Eli going forward. I'm really happy with what I saw out of him.

5) I can't stand the bend-don't-break defenses, but they are in vogue and are effective .... when they can stop a slant from being more than a 5 yard gain. We adjusted last year (albeit late) and I'm sure we'll adjust this year.

6) The middle of our offensive line is a shambles. Our tackles aren't much better. We all knew that our oline is a work-in-progress (there will be suffrage here all year imo). I'm not a David Baas fan at all but we have what we have.

7) CWeb has flip-flopped previous in his career, between being a top 5 CB and being a red-headed step child. Hopefully he returns to the former really soon. We desperately need him to be, given our current depth at CB.

8) The refs didn't do anything that I haven't seen done in previous years. I actually thought they called a really good game (considering the Greek tragedy I was expecting). Yes, the Cruz hold was annoying but I've seen that type of non-call in the end zone a ton.

9) David Wilson needs to suck it up. He's young and emotional .... I think he'll be fine. I would have liked to have seen TC give him the ball again on the following series though.

10) I swear Weatherford is starting to impress me more than Feagles. The guy has a magic leg

11) I thought KG called an excellent game. Lack of execution was the problem in my mind. I would have liked to have seen more screens to Demarcus Ware's side (my armchair OC moment).

12) TC's expression when he was told that Coe was out pretty much sums up my feelings about the Giants' luck (or lack thereof) regarding injuries.

13) Did No Doubt really setup for only one song? What's next ... Las Vegas lounges?

14) The Star Spangled Banner shouldn't be remixed .... even if it's done well. Just a personal opinion.

15) We played like crap generally speaking and we were still in the game at the end. We'll be fine.
    And that one song absolutely SUCKED!!!!!
    Love Gwen Stefani but they should have done Spiderweb.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Oh Yeah...and your analysis was very good.

Totally agree ... errr ... about the song.

Wait ...

Good analysis.

I also think that we would have been better against the run in the second half if Rivers had stayed in the game . . . he was all over the field in the first half.

I was at the game and didn't hear anything about his injury. Does anyone know how serious it is? I am expecting big things from him after last night.

Lastly, as much as people on here hate to admit it, the Cowboys are a pretty good team. They have excellent WR's a good TE, a star-in-the-making RB and a good (at least in the regular season) QB. On D, they have an elite pass rusher, a very good MB in Sean Lee, and they have improved their secondary. This was not some 6-10 team that we lost to . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by GMENAGAIN View Post
    Good analysis.

I also think that we would have been better against the run in the second half if Rivers had stayed in the game . . . he was all over the field in the first half.

I was at the game and didn't hear anything about his injury. Does anyone know how serious it is? I am expecting big things from him after last night.

Lastly, as much as people on here hate to admit it, the Cowboys are a pretty good team. They have excellent WR's a good TE, a star-in-the-making RB and a good (at least in the regular season) QB. On D, they have an elite pass rusher, a very good MB in Sean Lee, and they have improved their secondary. This was not some 6-10 team that we lost to . . . .
    Rivers tweaked his hamstring I believe. The humidity had a lot of people dehydrated last night, and hammies tend to pop under those circumstances (ala Coe).

Dallas definitely has talent but I'm not ready to anoint their secondary yet. If Cruz doesn't catch a case of the dropsies (pun definitely intended), Brandon Carr looks absolutely abused all game.

And Clairborne covering a guy with a broken foot didn't really impress me. I'd go out on a limb and say that our next meeting will be drastically different with respect to our passing numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by GMENAGAIN View Post
    Good analysis.

I guess I'll say it again...You can throw all the other stuff away, the reason we lost came down to Romo exploiting our weakest link on defense. We had our 5th corner in there and he can't cover. With a healthy Prince we probably would have won the game.
    I give Romo great credit, he eluded a pretty good pass rush last night and abused our weak corner.

Wow. Spot on analysis! Couldn't agree more with LITERALLY everything you said. Letterheaded, well thought out, reasonable....and I thought all Giant fans were chicken littles!

Good analysis, but I think the refs were letting a lot more go in the trenches then usual.

Levelheaded* autocorrect.....